Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Relay adder

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Zum Beispiel
Mon May 18 2009, 10:26PM Print
Zum Beispiel Registered Member #514 Joined: Sun Feb 11 2007, 12:27AM
And now for something utterly pointless:

1242684100 514 FT1630 Etupaneeli

At work we had to tear apart a nice big Trane water cooler (200kW+) and I, of course, took everything I could pry off with me. I ended up with a load of nice goodies from it, but the control box for the condenser coil's fans turned out to be the most interesting find. See, it had a boatload of Danfoss CI9 contactors (several kW of power handling, 4kW I think, 3 phase), that were in good condition. I was going to put them all on a shelf for later use, when I remembered a thread on the old (err... older) 4HV forum, where old relay based computers were discussed. Well, seeing how I had got a bucketload of (rather huge) relays, I had to try something myself. A bit of googling brought me to this page, and well, it was all downhill from there, really.

It's pretty much a blatant rip-off of the schematic on that site, but the high power contactors give it a nice little 'earth-quaky' twist tongue The only major difference is that it doesn't have any memory as such, since I didn't have enough relays. But the input switches do the same job (less complex, but not as fun). You flip the switches to the desired binary values and throw the read/write switch, and it spits out an answer (the correct one, I might add). No solid state parts, even the indicator lights are real light bulbs. Logic 1 is 230VAC (phase), 0 is 0VAC (neutral).

This thing ended up costing next to nothing at all, as the relays, or contactors, switches and indicator lights all came from the control box. The front panel was made from some piece of metal that had been lying around for way too long, and the frame didn't cost much either. Hell, even all the wires were salvaged from the control box, which is a good thing, as there are a lot of them. The only major cost of the project were the auxiliary contacts, but even those I got for something like an € a pop from a good electrician friend of mine.

So, here is how I spent a weekend of my life, working on something completely pointless, that just ended up wasting a ton of space (but hey, isn't that what 99% of the projects on here are like?). I named it KYY-1, after the venomous snake (kyy = an adder, ain't I clever).

Here's a view of the contactors:
1242684100 514 FT1630 Kontit

And here's a look at the back of the front panel:
1242684100 514 FT1630 Paneelin Piuhat

Somehow I'm unable to take a decent picture... mistrust

Z28Fistergod
Tue May 19 2009, 02:18AM
Z28Fistergod Registered Member #2040 Joined: Fri Mar 20 2009, 10:13PM
I like it! I always wanted to do something like that.
Myke
Tue May 19 2009, 02:33AM
Myke Registered Member #540 Joined: Mon Feb 19 2007, 07:49PM
Ooo. Very nice. I always have liked relay logic. I wanted to build a relay computer that does simple arithmetic but I can't seem to find decent relays under $1.
Make it so it has memory and can switch between addition and subtraction. :P
Solidacid
Tue May 19 2009, 06:56AM
Solidacid Registered Member #1430 Joined: Sun Apr 06 2008, 11:12AM
Awesome!, now add some more relays and a screen and make it do 3D graphics tongue
Vegemeister
Tue May 19 2009, 07:05AM
Vegemeister Registered Member #2027 Joined: Mon Mar 16 2009, 07:34AM
How about reed switches? They're cheap, and they're very fast compared to most mechanical switches.
Firnagzen
Tue May 19 2009, 10:30AM
Firnagzen Registered Member #567 Joined: Tue Mar 06 2007, 10:55AM
Record us a sound file of it working, please?

Even better: add middling sized capacitors between each wire and the ground so that you add a bit of delay between each 'clunk' of the relays switching.
uzzors2k
Tue May 19 2009, 11:04AM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
+1 Geek Cred. cheesey
Proud Mary
Tue May 19 2009, 01:08PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Golly gosh, what a well-made piece of work!

I would suggest vacuum relays, but even the CCCP ones are FIM 136 each, but less for quantity.

Let me know if you are interested.
Bjørn
Tue May 19 2009, 01:12PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
Make it so it has memory and can switch between addition and subtraction.
You stumbled into the main point, the problem with simple computers is always the memory. The CPU itself can always be made so simple that the memory is 99% or more of the work. A turing complete computer can be made out of a handful of relays/logic gates/transistors, but useful memory will need thousands. My solution is to use dynamic memory and capacitors as the memory elements.

How about reed switches? They're cheap, and they're very fast compared to most mechanical switches.
I have done experiments with that too and I think it is possible to make a computer with a clock in the kHz range. The main problem I had was that they seemed to have a lot of bouncing that will make things a bit more complicated.
Dr. Dark Current
Tue May 19 2009, 06:25PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Bjørn wrote ...

You stumbled into the main point, the problem with simple computers is always the memory. The CPU itself can always be made so simple that the memory is 99% or more of the work.
Wouldn't something like this do the job? Link2

1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: