Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Class E Circuit

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Shark
Sun Apr 09 2006, 12:42PM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Hehe, I am also kind of cheating on the PCB part, this is what I am using:

1144586439 75 FT6870 Dsc 0145

It does what it should, but it is getting really croweded since I am adding components all the time. Also the layout is done by hand, not ideal for opertation at 4MHz...

BTW, how do you mangage to keep your semiconductors cool at 12V in? I was able to get a fan cooled heatsink cooking in seconds at that voltage, before the zero switching started to work smile
ragnar
Tue Apr 11 2006, 06:05PM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
It is done.

I regret I don't have any impedance matching between driver/primary. He runs very nicely with a 4.75nF shunt capacitor and some tweaking.

The turn-on/turn-off times for the MOSFET are unideal (IRFP460 has too large an input capacitance, I feel), and the UCCs are struggling, but thats OK for now - I have found some power supply MOSFETs to salvage for later wink

I'll now say I'm officially addicted to the class-E amplifier. =)
It's a nice feeling to know that I have to get it wrong four times to blow up a fullbridge' worth of MOSFETs... hehe
1144778723 63 FT6870 Classe10ringdown

1144778723 63 FT6870 Classe8criticallydamped

1144778723 63 FT6870 Classe7distant

1144778723 63 FT6870 Classe9breakout

1144778723 63 FT6870 Classe12groundarc
Dr. Shark
Wed Apr 12 2006, 11:25AM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Nice! You won the contest, the price for the first working Class E TC on 4HV is yours! I am falling back more and more, I have massive trouble with my osscilator section, and it does not help that I need to get lots of work done before I ...[go off topic too much?]
Now, what I'd like to know is, are you sure you are in ZCS? It is not visible from the scope shots, in fact the ringing on the drain suggestst that you are not. What you want the drain to do is to return smoothly to zero, not shoot down abruptly.
ragnar
Wed Apr 12 2006, 11:34AM
lol, cheers... there was a contest?
Waverider won it first, and he actually knows what he's doing. I'm no RF engineer.

I'm probably not even ZVSing or ZCSing, I don't have the best selection of potential shunt capacitors to use, so I'm mixing and matching with old messes desoldered from the dead circuit boards under my bed.

I did just spot a 2SK539 from a dead power supply board, which I'm dying to try out... Unless I'm reading my scope wrong (likely), the spikes are 7 x Vin... so this will give me some headroom, and I'd better get my 10:1 probes working, hehehe

2SK539 is 900V, 3A, 1.4-1.9nF input capacitance. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Thanks for the feedback Joe, with the exception of you and the two doctors (Steve and Waverider), everyone seems to just lurk atm..
Steve Conner
Wed Apr 12 2006, 12:03PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Hi Joe,

Yes, I think BP has gone off tune in the opposite direction to you, his circuit has too high a resonant frequency and not enough damping, so the voltage returns to zero too early and comes slamming down instead of landing gently. I would try cranking the power to get a bigger spark that loads the circuit more heavily. Or tightening the coupling and increasing the shunt cap somewhat.

It's still pretty good though as he is actually soft switching shades
Desmogod
Wed Apr 12 2006, 12:35PM
Desmogod Registered Member #139 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 11:01AM
When it is actually stable and running correctly, are you going to audio modulate it and tie it in with your previous experiments with plasma speakers?
ragnar
Wed Apr 12 2006, 04:01PM
No audio modulation with this baby until I can get the discharge totally silent to begin with. Nobody likes a speaker that hisses wink

And with class E... errr, I think frequency shifting is my only choice... even then it might be nasty. Linear- and pulse-width- modulation seem out of the question.. unless I can desolder and resolder my shunt capacitors as fast as the audio. :P
Desmogod
Thu Apr 13 2006, 09:20AM
Desmogod Registered Member #139 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 11:01AM
If you scope out richies site (Which I'm sure you have) He achieves it by modulating the voltage into the final stage of the amp. Apparently, it's a bit of an iffy proposition to actually modulate the frequency because class E is such a narrow band.
His words not mine :P
Just an idea though.
ragnar
Fri Apr 14 2006, 02:20AM
By pulse-width modulation, yes, he affects the RF output by giving the gatedrivers/mosfets shorter pulses for less output, however with class-E, the shunt capacitor is critical at a certain value, which is why if you increase the input power or affect the loading you need to retune.

I put it to the test at 60V, smoothed with 10,000uF... beautiful results! 3" brushy discharge... but it exploded sometime afterwards; I was too much of a wuss to put my scope across the D/S, but I calculate it would be ringing up to 400V. What was tuned nicely at 36V will be horribly tuned at 60V.

The great thing was the MOSFET just went "Pffft." - none of this spattering and carbon blasting whilst I struggle with foot-on-wall to remove the plug. So I can destroy four class-E output stages as compared with blasting four MOSFETs to hell in a fullbridge simultaneously.

I consider this a 75% saving in silicon. =)

I'm wary of increasing the coupling too much more; I need to lasercut that former to separate primary from secondary.

5.75MHz, here we come =)
Marko
Mon Jul 03 2006, 01:06AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Something to revive an old thread (rather than opening new one) =)

I just recently played with a mini class E coil.
I used PLL (firstly it was direct feedback to UCC, but I didn't want to push the button. Instead of adding NE555 I just added an 4046 wich gives much more possibilities)

Circuit works either from an antenna or base current feedback.
At first it was nothing impressive, some 1cm streamer forom 16V input.
Frequency is 1,4Mhz,

When I added an resonant capacitor and better decoupling to the power supply, the coil went nuts.

Operating at 16V I could draw an 3,5cm long arc from the topload, even without best ZCS tune. I have only cheap digital meters and I couldn't measure current reliably. It looked like it was about 1A.

I can use VCO pot to finetune ZCS if necessary. I got it almost perfect but mosfet still heats up a small heatsink to 50-60 degrees (and stays about there) after about a minute :/ (but without good ZCS it would boil water at that point).

Mosfet is IRFP450, a 1337 one (been in many SSTC's already and never died).

One important thing with such designs is to put an additional big filter cap physically close to primary LC.

This eliminates power supply inductance (behaves as a voltage source) and only inductance of primary and it's leads 'matters'.
Adding this cap really pumped the output, especially since I was using aligator clips on power supply ill

Unfortunately my camera's battery charger died and I have o recent pics of sparks cry

But here is an old one, while coil was jet simple direct-feedback single mosfet SSTC.

1151888803 89 FT6870 Classe
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: