All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

811A VTTC

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
EEYORE
Sun Feb 12 2006, 08:56PM Print
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
Hello all,
on a whim, i bought an 811A JAN vacuum tube by Cetron. I need some help with calculating the values i need for the various parts such as grid leak components and all...I plan to run it with a MOT via a variac as to not overpower, nor overvolt it. How do i calculate the various resistors and capacitors needed?I may have 2 CDE Mica caps coming rated for 5000vac .001uF. I assume the tuning goes the same as with a standard coil?How do i calcuate the feedback coil?

Lotsa Qs, i know smile
Thanks!
Matt
HV Enthusiast
Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:35PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Steve Ward has already done a design for dual 811As. You could use his values as a starting point and modify from there.

Here is his webpage:
http://www.stevehv.4hv.org/VTTC1.htm
Wed Feb 15 2006, 08:25AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
I made a single 811a mini coil using that exact tube :)

Instead of typing everything twice, I will refer you to my projects thread where the information is.
EEYORE
Wed Feb 15 2006, 08:21PM
Nice!Looks exactly what im looking for...A small coil to "play" with...With all my others being so dangerous, id like something more controllable....So i thought the 811a was rated for max 1500volts?
Heres what I have:
2700volt MOT Plan to use a variac to control this to 1500vac...
6.3volt 4 amp filament xfmr...
811a tube-Need to get a socket...
1.3nF 10kv cermic capacitor(quite large!)
Just need to amass some resistors and some ceramic bypass capacitors.
I plan to wind a smal secondary. I got a 6in spool of free magnet wire from Essex amazed
Just for asking nicely...

Matt
Thu Feb 16 2006, 01:20AM
I have extra 811a sockets/top caps... They are not the twist lock kind, just spring clips for the pins; but work great. Also have extra 4k resistors and 2.2nf bypass caps...

I wouldn't worry about turning down the mot voltage; I have run the tube you have at >4kv and it didn't even think of arking over. Although if you are using that large of a tank cap you are going to need to turn down the power to keep the pate dissipation safe. 0.6nf at 2.2kv was just about right for the tube to glow a nice orange color throughout the plate... I guess that running it off a lower voltage would allow you to do short runs at a higher power and then turn it down for the longer runs, or add a stattco and run at high power all of the time...

I like my 811a coil because the streamers are so benign, they are almost silent, and you can touch them!

Good luck!
EEYORE
Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:03AM
... wrote ...

I have extra 811a sockets/top caps... They are not the twist lock kind, just spring clips for the pins; but work great. Also have extra 4k resistors and 2.2nf bypass caps...

I wouldn't worry about turning down the mot voltage; I have run the tube you have at >4kv and it didn't even think of arking over. Although if you are using that large of a tank cap you are going to need to turn down the power to keep the pate dissipation safe. 0.6nf at 2.2kv was just about right for the tube to glow a nice orange color throughout the plate... I guess that running it off a lower voltage would allow you to do short runs at a higher power and then turn it down for the longer runs, or add a stattco and run at high power all of the time...

I like my 811a coil because the streamers are so benign, they are almost silent, and you can touch them!

Good luck!

Hmmm....Interesing about the voltage...

Im using a large capacitor simplyb/c its all i have tongue....I wonder if an MMC would suffice?I could series some Film/Foil caps.They are physcially large as well...Wima...

Ill PM you about the sockets...

Matt
Thu Feb 16 2006, 03:04AM
pm replied too...

The ideal thing for you to do would put 2 of the caps you have in series, but if you only have one then that won't work...
Probably the next easiest thing would be to buy one (here is a cheap source)

I wouldn't recomend a mmc type thing, the tank cap seems to be quite critical to correct operation. I tried replacing the 650pf one I had with a string of 3 2.2nf ceramics and the coil didn't even want to oscillate angry
EEYORE
Thu Feb 16 2006, 04:42AM
I think i will try what i have before buying any capacitors...Im only using one 811a tube, so the power level wont rise too much....I think the plate can only take like 100ma or so?

Matt
Thu Feb 16 2006, 06:27AM
I believe they are good for 120ma continuous anode current, but in a vttc there is only current passing like 1/4 of the time...
I have not taken measurements for plate current yet, but I know that the tank current in my coil is almost 600a unloaded and 200a with streamers amazed I see why a good tank cap is so important now...

Back to the original questions of how to calculate the feedback; so far as I can tell you can't. Just stick to around 20 turns (I found 18 works good for mine by having the tube ark over at the metal/glass seal between grid/cathode on the outside of the tube with 20 turns at 4.5kv, so I removed 2 turns and it hasn't happened since...)
For the tank cap; mica caps should be good but I do not know. I do that the doorknob caps sold by hrhdavid on ebay do work.
EEYORE
Thu Feb 16 2006, 05:56PM
... wrote ...

I believe they are good for 120ma continuous anode current, but in a vttc there is only current passing like 1/4 of the time...
I have not taken measurements for plate current yet, but I know that the tank current in my coil is almost 600a unloaded and 200a with streamers amazed I see why a good tank cap is so important now...

Back to the original questions of how to calculate the feedback; so far as I can tell you can't. Just stick to around 20 turns (I found 18 works good for mine by having the tube ark over at the metal/glass seal between grid/cathode on the outside of the tube with 20 turns at 4.5kv, so I removed 2 turns and it hasn't happened since...)
For the tank cap; mica caps should be good but I do not know. I do that the doorknob caps sold by hrhdavid on ebay do work.
I tried a quick lashup last night....Got 1.5inchers...
Boy does that tube get HOT, just the filament...
I put on 12 turns of wire for the feedback(i ran out), and used a 3.3kohm10watt resistor for the grid. Nothing got warm but the MOT, 811a, and the primary. The tank cap stays cold actually....
Kinda strange thing happens-When i crank the variac to close to 75% the sparks get big(2.5inches) but then fade out quickly.Any ideas?

Plate gets red rather quickly as well....
Now that i see it works, i will have to build a proper setup for it cheesey
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: