All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/20 Vaxian (17)
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Homemade Magnetron

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Moon Bug
Sun Feb 12 2006, 08:29PM Print
Moon Bug Registered Member #109 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 12:20AM
Here it is: my narrowed thread. My thanks go to Alex and Firkragg for pointing out that it was way too broad.

I am interested in constructing a homemade magnetron of some sort. I have read up on how they are built, and I feel I have a good understanding of how they work. I realise that there are certain dangers involved with electromagnetic radiation, so I do not plan to make it very powerful at all. Of course, I have fairly limited resources, and to make a very efficient one would require a lot of money and equipment, so I do not plan on it being very effective.

To start off, I have some quetions (as always cheesey ):

* Is there any easy method for creating the vaccum required in a magnetron?
* Is it completely necessary that the resonating chambers be specially shaped?
* Would a solenoid placed around the magnetron be a suitable replacement for a natural magnet?
Marko
Sun Feb 12 2006, 08:48PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
* Is there any easy method for creating the vaccum required in a magnetron?
* Is it completely necessary that the resonating chambers be specially shaped?
* Would a solenoid placed around the magnetron be a suitable replacement for a natural magnet?

1. of course it is but you need lots of glassblowing (and metalworking) expeirence and expensive machines, nothing to be homemade. Just impossible.

2. Yes.

3. Electromagnets can be used but permanent are far easier to install in tube.

Yust kill some ovens and get for free huge magnetron, but dont toy with it as it can cook you in place when powered...

Moon Bug
Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:09PM
I agree that it would be cheaper and easier to simply take a magnetron from an old microwave oven, and I have considered doing so. However, I have decided to try making my own for several reasons:

* I would like to see if it is at all possible for one person to make one without a lot of expensive machinery.
* To experiment with various apect of magnetron design
* To build several small magnetrons and make a chamber in which I can test effects of microwaves on a small scale

I am perhaps going out on a limb on this last reason, because it does not seem too likely that I could get that far, but a person can dream, can't they ( cheesey ) ? As for my other two reasons, I was wondering if there is some way to build even a semi effective magnetron without a nearly perfect vacuum (perhaps a partial vacuum or a unique concentration of gasses would do confused ?), or if there is any other way to produce microwaves in an effective manner.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Mon Feb 13 2006, 02:06AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
The best I think you could possibly do is to make a Klystron. I think that a Magnetron is way out there. I've taken them apart for the magnets, then taken the tube apart and to tell you the truth, I can't see any way of an inexperienced person really making one of them. The core is a massive copper resonant cavity terminated to a ceramic wave guide. I don't doubt that it all has to be aligned axially too.

But you know what, a Klystron might be a good start. You don't need massive flux densities, they're semi-adjustable so that's in your favor, its low energy microwave which is in your favor, and you may be able to construct it in a vacuum chamber which is in your favor.
Moon Bug
Mon Feb 13 2006, 04:16AM
Sounds reasonable to me. I was wondering, though:

* Is it possible to construct an electron gun, or would it be necessary to buy/scavenge one?
* Is there a way to modify the design to make it more compact? Perhaps making it like a reflex klystron or some other such arrangement?
* Would this be a fairly expensive project? And if so, are there any ways I could use less expensive parts?

Just wondering. wink
Steve Conner
Mon Feb 13 2006, 11:43AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The only really difficult bit of building a magnetron or a klystron would be pulling the vacuum. They absolutely need a high vacuum to work. Check out the Teralab site for more info on DIY vacuum techniques. Link2
IamSmooth
Thu Feb 23 2006, 07:14PM
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
I am curious about magnetrons and one of the replies stating that it can cook someone when powered. First, I have no current plans to use one. My question is, if I were to experiment with one, how does one go about safely powering it and directing any MW radiation away from "cookable" objects?
Marko
Thu Feb 23 2006, 07:46PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
With adequate horn antenna you can focus radiation in order to jam/disrupt/cook/blow some cookable or electronic object smile

Magnetron pionted into a man can cook him as well, but some ''stories'' are overbabbled and except heating (deep) magnetron does not cause cancer, long-term progressive illneses or so, everything it can is to heat and if we heat ourselves by 2kW bulb from such proximity we will also lose sight, get nasty burned and cooked (OK but here we get only surface burns).

If we do not dance in front of magnetron heating is slow enough to allow us to retreat before we are burned, maybe eyes are most critical as heating chataracts can be get quickly...

If manned wisely magnetron can be used without harm, and we can use it for interesting experiments (most of people do it in their ovens, arcing (metallic object, CDs) generating plasmoids, cooking interesting things... cheesey

At Link2 sam actually made a 'magnetron gun' but horn is still not shown, intention is to use it for same effects but outside the oven. confused
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Thu Feb 23 2006, 08:10PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
To make either I would say yes its expensive. Why?

Okay, I almost have all the equipment to do this, and it's costing me quite a bit. I have almost all the resources for glassblowing, tubes, torches, cylinders, etc. But consider when you look at any electron tube there are about 100 steps to making that tube including de-gassing the metal, special plating procedures, special welding techniques, and a ton of background, I have a book on this by Fred Rosebury.
So that part is terribly involved, not to mention obtaining the high purity nickle, making the tungsten filaments, and coating them with thoriated oxides and inserting it into the cathode without causing a short or low breakdown voltages.

Now consider the vacuum system. My duo-seal cost me $150, but that't no where good enough like Steve said. That's only 1/3 there. Yes, you need a diffusion pump of some sort, which I got for free from college (because I have a friend, who I'm designing a Tesla Coil for.), and then after that you need a 'Getter' in the system. This is a mixture of Barium or Calcium and Magnesium or Aluminum to 'get' left over stuff so you can go down to 10^-8 Torr. But that still doesn't guarantee anything because as the tube 'ages' you have a boiling effect from the cathode, so you would probably want to inductivily heat the whole tube with RF and get it cherry before flashing the getters in the system and in the tube.

I'm not quite there yet because I don't have enough soft glass for the copper electrode sealing. All they sell now is Borosilicate, which means Tungsten seals, and that's very involved!

If I can do it, lord knows I want to, I will make a Crooke's tube first.

Matt

Oh, I don't know if you can find a book on electron tube technology, like I say its something like "Handbook of Vacuum tube Technology" or something by Fred Rosbury or Rosebury. I'll make sure when I get back home.
If you can't find it I may be able to have Kinkos scan the book, but its $$$$$
johnf
Mon Feb 27 2006, 09:08AM
johnf Registered Member #230 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 08:01PM
If you are this serious get a turbo pump and pirani vacuum gauge and do it live ie in the system being turbo pumped. I have a setup at work for my research into new devices and the turbo gives me 2 by ten to the minus seven torr while i'm doing measurements (including out gasisng from cathode / anode strutures under power
1141031289 230 FT647 Img 0861
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: