Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Wanted specs for hockey puck SCR

Move Thread LAN_403
benbradley
Sat Apr 01 2006, 11:32PM Print
benbradley Registered Member #312 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 01:50AM
I just got a hockey puck SCR labeled "ABB CSF250-15IP1 Made in W. Germany" from this ebay auction:
Link2
I've googled the web and Usenet but haven't found any pertinent data. Does anyone have anything on this part or know where I can get it?

If it helps at all (even to give appromate specs), dimensions are 1.635 inches dia (OD of larger terminal), 1.55 inches dia (the ceramic part) and .575 inches thick.

There was some white stuff on the terminals (the device was apparently removed from equipment), I presume this is regular heat sink compound?

From lurking here a while I know I need an "appropriate" mechanical clamp to operate these things. Can someone point me to the appropriate threads? I recall one that described the thing, and IIRC why you should buy one instead of trying to make one. Can it be safely tested at low power (maybe 10V, under 1A) without a clamp?
EN
Sun Apr 02 2006, 10:16AM
EN Registered Member #85 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 01:22PM
Low current testing can be done during unclamped conditions. However, when there is no contact because there is no clamping, you can clamp it with low force in a vice.
The 250 in the product number probably wants to tell us that it is a 250A scr. The 15 could be wanting to tell us that it has 1500V rating. However 1500V rated thyristors are rather rare, so it probably means something else.
You can measure the forward breakdown voltage by applying a voltage to the turned off thyristor
and raise this voltage untill the thyristor breaks down. Of course it is a good idea to use a current limited supply (a high value resistor in series will do).
Arjan EMM
Sun Apr 02 2006, 04:52PM
Arjan EMM Registered Member #149 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:11AM
Here's a list of similar devices made by abb. With specsheets.
abb is Brown,Boveri
Link2
I compared a few, the 250 seems to point to the current capability. The 15 seems to point to 1500V.

More similar parts:
Link2
benbradley
Wed Jun 14 2006, 10:37PM
benbradley Registered Member #312 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 01:50AM
A belated thank you for all the info, folks. I've tested this thing at 'low' current and it seems to work. There's an internal resistance of about 20 ohms between cathode and gate, apparently to reduce sensitivity and prevent spurious turn-on. Putting in about 100mA (didn't measure exactly) causes it to short out my 30V 1/2A bench supply quite nicely. Its hold current is of course somewhere above that, as when I remove the gate current it cuts off. Now I need to do some higher current and eventually higher voltage testing.
Quantum Singularity
Thu Jun 15 2006, 02:39AM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
That was the same ebay seller I bought my scr's from... just got them today, hopefully they are working since they doent warranty them and are as-is. I opted for the brick units since the puck ones take some additional consideration (and money) in mounting. Hopefully yours works out for you.
ReddyK
Thu Jun 15 2006, 10:18PM
ReddyK Registered Member #92 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 03:11PM
250 amp and 1200volt is very consistant with that size of scr. I have some clamps and many scrs if your interested. Of course two pucks are required for for ac switching.
Thanks,
Steve

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: