Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Most amusing website navigation

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Avalanche
Fri Mar 31 2006, 08:25PM Print
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
http://www.thederbyshirenetwork.org/

Internet Explorer users will probably not notice anything, but Firefox users... I'll let you find out cheesey

A mate showed me this earlier and we thought the site had the funniest navigation we've ever seen, especially as we had had a website accessibility lecture the day before

I'd be interested to see what it does in other browsers too...
Alex
Fri Mar 31 2006, 08:52PM
Alex Geometrically Frustrated
Registered Member #6 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:18AM
I'm not sure what you were referring to, but the whole "let's have two navbars" thing rarely goes well. The left navbar has some issues with margins or somesuch, too, because some hovered items don't wrap.

I'm using Firefox 1.0.7..
Coyote Wilde
Fri Mar 31 2006, 09:57PM
Coyote Wilde Registered Member #175 Joined: Tue Feb 14 2006, 09:32PM
Flying buttons, w00t.
That is hillarious...
Steve Conner
Sat Apr 01 2006, 10:13AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
LOL! It's like one of those Shoot the bunny and win an iPod things, but accidental cheesey If you manage to catch one and click on it, it does indeed take you to the right page, so I guess it's not totally useless...

I looked at the source and it turns out the writer used the <marquee> tag which is non-standard and behaves differently in different browsers.

http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/text/marquees.html
Adam Horden
Sat Apr 01 2006, 10:56AM
Adam Horden Registered Member #176 Joined: Tue Feb 14 2006, 09:35PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

LOL! It's like one of those Shoot the bunny and win an iPod things, but accidental cheesey If you manage to catch one and click on it, it does indeed take you to the right page, so I guess it's not totally useless...

I looked at the source and it turns out the writer used the <marquee> tag which is non-standard and behaves differently in different browsers.

http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/text/marquees.html

Any one who writes comercial sites like me never use front side nav code depedant on browsers; instead I use a php class and the php engine to run all my navigation bars.

This way I know that it will work in any browser and with style tags I can make it fit any site I work on. I can validate the css with W3 so I know that the styles should work in most browser. The last site I did 60% of visitors used did not use IE.

Before I put a site live I run it on a sub domain via most common browsers to check that it looks and works fine before it goes live to the public. This checks the ISPs server out to check that the site will work on there servers and allows me to pass the URL around to people to see what they think / spot any mistakes like beta or alpha testing.

Adam
Steve Conner
Sat Apr 01 2006, 12:17PM
Well, that sounds like a pretty good way of doing it. I remember dropping by Adam's site and being real impressed with the PHP content management system on it. I think it's borked at the moment though :P

For my own site I just use raw HTML and get round the browser compatibility thing by never trying to do anything interesting. I wish I had used style sheets now, but I can't be bothered learning how they work and rewriting it all. I used to wish I had stuff like a blog engine and a forum, but 4hv and myspace music take care of that between them. It would still be nice if I could add stuff to my site as easily as making a post on 4hv, instead of having to break out the text editor and FTP client. Because it's so easy, the stuff I post here tends to be more up to date than my own site.

my site: http://www.scopeboy.com
my music site on myspace http://www.myspace.com/scopeboy
A site I made for a musician friend, I tried to make it as cheesy and corny as I could in an 8-bit way http://www.jockyvenkataraman.com

I forgot to mention that whenever I build sites for friends and suchlike, I use Chris and Noelle's 1121.org web hosting. It helps to pay the running costs of 4hv, and even if it didn't it's still a damn good service.
Desmogod
Sat Apr 01 2006, 02:20PM
Desmogod Registered Member #139 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 11:01AM
Just had a look at your myspace site. I take it that synth in the background is somewhat "non-standard"
I've actually had a fair amount of exposure to music, one of my best mates has a studio, with Juno's, roland's, dirty big mackie desk and an old Atari running Qubase.
We tried a PC, but the latency sucked in a huge way.
Your influences are rather similiar to mine, spent many an hour listening to Aphex Twin. I just love the programmed sound of his drumbeats. and "didgeridoo" is outstanding.
Have you heard of Autecha? see if you can get "Gans Graf" on DVD
it's an amazing merging of Audio and video.
Adam Horden
Sat Apr 01 2006, 02:53PM
Adam Horden Registered Member #176 Joined: Tue Feb 14 2006, 09:35PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

Well, that sounds like a pretty good way of doing it. I remember dropping by Adam's site and being real impressed with the PHP content management system on it. I think it's borked at the moment though :P

For my own site I just use raw HTML and get round the browser compatibility thing by never trying to do anything interesting. I wish I had used style sheets now, but I can't be bothered learning how they work and rewriting it all. I used to wish I had stuff like a blog engine and a forum, but 4hv and myspace music take care of that between them. It would still be nice if I could add stuff to my site as easily as making a post on 4hv, instead of having to break out the text editor and FTP client. Because it's so easy, the stuff I post here tends to be more up to date than my own site.

my site: http://www.scopeboy.com
my music site on myspace http://www.myspace.com/scopeboy
A site I made for a musician friend, I tried to make it as cheesy and corny as I could in an 8-bit way http://www.jockyvenkataraman.com

I forgot to mention that whenever I build sites for friends and suchlike, I use Chris and Noelle's 1121.org web hosting. It helps to pay the running costs of 4hv, and even if it didn't it's still a damn good service.

Steve,

My CMS is pritty neat. I have a form hidden away with auth that I can add content and it writes it as a .html file inserts the links into the menu database and away I go one new page added in seconds. Images are a little difficult but what I do is I have a second form and I tell it say I want 10 images and it creates a form with 10 image boxs and I upload the images it returns the link to the imags in one page and I use tabs in mozilla and when I write hte page I use BB code like a forum uses and paste them in. The image upload script writes the BB code as well which is prity neat so its a copy and paste. I am re writing it all to make it a little better and prehaps use adjax.

The CMS I use it my own work I did it to learn more about PHP and the whole site runs suing a common database.

I am moving from 1121 hosting to a UK host called Zool Networks. Good host good service and good price.

If you ever want hand recoding your site Steve to use a CMS I dont mind hacking up my current system into something you could use on your site.

Adam
Steve Conner
Sat Apr 01 2006, 04:13PM
desmo: It's a Roland JX-8P that I modified to use as a driver for Finn's MIDI controlled DRSSTC project. It survived that and I put it back to normal afterwards. I used to like Autechre and Aphex Twin before they went all IDM, now they just sound like the MP3 file got corrupted or something. I hadn't heard Gantz Graf but Google turned up a site where I could listen to one of the tracks off it. DAMN it was weird smile

I also found the MIDI timing on PCs a bit loose. The machine I use just now is a 600MHz PIII with an old ISA slot MIDI interface and Win98/Cubase VST. It used to be a 350MHz PII, and I found upgrading the processor made the timing a lot better. I shudder to think what going to an XP-based system would do though. I think my next "up"grade might well be to an Atari for MIDI and Linux for audio. I'd love one of the old Mega STs with the hard disk, but so does everyone else :(

Adam: That might be a cool thing to try. The web hosting that scopeboy.com is with doesn't give me PHP or SQL though, so I'd need to move it.
Conundrum
Sat Apr 01 2006, 04:20PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Link2

Link2

wink

-A

"Bother" said Pooh, as he absorbed 20Gys of neutron radiation...

1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: