Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Boost converter circuit

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
j.azz
Fri Jan 30 2009, 12:51AM Print
j.azz Registered Member #888 Joined: Tue Jul 10 2007, 06:52PM
Hi all!

Based on the bipolar totem-pole driver for mosfets from this paper, I designed the following boost converter for capacitor charging which will use a µController for pulse generation and voltage control.
What do you think about the circuit? (see attachement) Suggestments, improvements? And first: Will it work?

greetz, j.azz

edit: I forgot the resistor in series with the mosfet's gate

1233276636 888 FT0 Booster
Mattski
Mon Feb 02 2009, 06:27AM
Mattski Registered Member #1792 Joined: Fri Oct 31 2008, 08:12PM
I don't see a need for R1 there with your BJT push-pull circuit. It will slow down how quickly your high-side BJT can bring the MOSFET gate high. Is it in there to limit peak current through the BJT's?

Otherwise it looks like a fine boost circuit, and that resistor won't even stop it from working. You might want a capacitor decoupling your input supply voltage at the top of the inductor, depending on how much current it pulls and where the input voltage is coming from.
j.azz
Mon Feb 02 2009, 02:25PM
Thanks for the answer. I will try the booster as soon I gathered the parts. Also I modified the circuit, namely adding a gate current limiting resistor, removing r1, and adding a decoupling capacitor.
1233584721 888 FT62678 Booster
j.azz
Wed Feb 04 2009, 02:05AM
I now simulated the circuit and found that 5 volts aren't driving the mosfet satisfyingly (does that word exist?). So I tried the following circuit with level shifting mosfet driver but it is inverting, unfortunately. Though it works great, I don't want to take care of the pwm signal being held high when the desired cap voltage is reached. Are there any non-inverting level shifting totem pole mosfet driver? Or do you recommend using a 'cookbook' mosfet driver ic?

1233713124 888 FT62678 Booster2
KLH
Wed Feb 04 2009, 07:14PM
KLH Registered Member #1819 Joined: Thu Nov 20 2008, 04:05PM
I tried simulating this circuit. It works okay, although there were some variables I could not account for, due to lack of simulation models or certain variables, such as series resistance.

Some improvements I suggest:

-Optimize the frequency for your 750uH inductor. Look at this graph:
1233773606 1819 FT62678 Boost Converter Inductor Current

The graph shows the peak current to be around 70A. This will likely asplode your MOSFET and diode, saturate your inductor, and dry out your capacitor bank, unless your capacitor bank and inductor have very high current ratings. (The two semiconductors inherently can't hold enough current.) To keep the peak currents from spiraling out of control, use this RL time calculator at http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/rl.htm. The current should be limited to about twice the rated inductor DC current and should stay within both semiconductor's ratings.

-Add a snubber from the inductor to ground. Look at this second graph:
1233772741 1819 FT62678 Boost Converter Simulation Graph

After each voltage pulse, which appears when the inductor delivers its energy to the capacitor bank, you can see a thick section of the plot. These are high frequency oscillations, usually in the high kHz to MHz range. In your case, it's about 400 kHz. These oscillations cause core loss, and, less crucially, a long simulation time. The circuit below shows the addition of a snubber.

1233774795 1819 FT62678 Improved Boost Converter

This circuit has a frequency optimized for 8A peak current: 15kHz with 50% duty cycle.

As for the gate driving issue, a dedicated MOSFET driver IC is more reliable and simpler to use. After simulating and checking the gate driving current, it seemed to be only a few milliamps. (Am I doing something wrong?)
Mattski
Wed Feb 04 2009, 08:19PM
Mattski Registered Member #1792 Joined: Fri Oct 31 2008, 08:12PM
One easy way to get a non-inverting level shifter is by driving your existing circuit with an inverter.

Using a mosfet driver IC would certainly be easier, and there's a good chance it would work better. But it might cost a bit more, and hey, sometimes it's cool to design circuits at the transistor level :)

Also, just curious, what circuit sim program are you using?
KLH
Thu Feb 05 2009, 12:19PM
Both of us used LTSpice Switcher CAD III. This can be downloaded for free from the Linear Technology website.
GeordieBoy
Thu Feb 05 2009, 03:07PM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
I would bypass the gate-resistor with a diode during the device's turn-off phase. In a boost converter you want the MOSFET to turn off as quickly as humanly possible, but to turn on more slowly to avoid damage to the diode and lots of horrible ringing.

You might also want to include a current sensing resistor in series with the MOSFET's source lead so your controller can monitor the peak current. This would allow your controller to see if the inductor current becomes continuous and starts to rise up to a dangerous level.

-Richie,
KLH
Thu Feb 05 2009, 05:25PM
Since you're using a controller, you can optimize the timing (without much difficulty) of the MOSFET so that the peak current is limited to a safe level and so that it also never stays at zero for a significant amount of time (preferrably no time at all). Using this method requires a current-sensing resistor (as said above). This will optimize efficiency and charge the capacitor in the least amount of time.
j.azz
Fri Feb 06 2009, 01:52PM
Well the parts in the schematic aren't actually the ones I'll use.
The mosfet will be a IRFP450, capable of 14A cont. and 0.41ohm on-resistance.

An inverter on the input is a good idea. Wonder why I this didn't came to my mind...

As for the inductor, the dc series resistance of the one I have is almost negligible (my dmm can't measure -> below 0.1ohm).

What kind of shunt do you recommend for current sensing?
For current sensing, shall I measure the peak current before and hardcode it, or shall I look for 'dI/dt near zero'?

thanks for the answers,
j.azz

EDIT:

Oh, I guess I slightly misunderstood how I should use the current sensing.
You mean I sense the current to shut off the mosfet when the maximum acceptable current is reached, right?
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: