All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Bonding Cast Iron with Epoxy-broken crankcase cover

Move Thread LAN_403
EEYORE
Fri Mar 31 2006, 04:17AM Print
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
Hello all,
i cracked the crankcase cover on my scooter. Im not having much luck getting a replacement part, but basically the kickstart lever's bearing was ripped off the casing. Ive filed and cleaned it all down so that it fits back in place flush. My question is, is it possible for an epoxy to hold this together?It basically needs to withstand my stepping down on it to start the engine.Ive got some steel weld epoxy but it just held for alittle bit while i tested out the gears and then broke again.

Help?
Thanks!
Matt
GODSFUSION
Fri Mar 31 2006, 04:48AM
GODSFUSION Registered Member #157 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 08:00PM
In my experience JB Weld fixes everything. Unless thats the stuff you used...

- Wayne -
Desmogod
Fri Mar 31 2006, 06:21AM
Desmogod Registered Member #139 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 11:01AM
JB weld is pretty good, but how badly cracked is it?
Have you just torn the bearing out, or is the case physically got a crack in it?
If it just a bearing issue, get an over sized bearing, bore out the hole in the crankcase cover _very_ slightly smaller, throw it in the oven for a while, then pressfit the new bearing.
I had exactly the same problem with my kwak.
You might even be able to get someone to weld it, then grind it back flush.
EEYORE
Fri Mar 31 2006, 07:19AM
Its the whole bearing that holds the gears in place. Its completely torn out. I took alot of time sanding it down so it will fit flushly with the case and have spent all day claning and sanding the area to bond. I think i didnt mix the epoxy sufficiently last night nor did i clean the area at all. Toight the epoxy set really fast and is getting very very hard. Tomorrow afternoon i will try it out. This is just a temp fix, as i wait for a new cover...
I have few tools. No power tools but a drill. A file and some sand paper is it tongueIf this doesnt work, i will try an epoxy that mixes easily and has a lower viscosity for a better application. That 2 ton stuff looks sufficient, as that is WAY more force than i can exert on it, and its meant for metal as well...

Matt
Fri Mar 31 2006, 03:03PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
IMHO, you should never sand things with rough break like cast iron--and other things with a smooth break/cut edge should only get a light sanding. This is because while epoxy is good at adhering to stuff, it is very weak. So you want to minimize the amount of 'filer' epoxy in the cracks, you just want a thin layer between the pieces. That is what I have found to work best...
EEYORE
Sat Apr 01 2006, 03:14AM
... wrote ...

IMHO, you should never sand things with rough break like cast iron--and other things with a smooth break/cut edge should only get a light sanding. This is because while epoxy is good at adhering to stuff, it is very weak. So you want to minimize the amount of 'filer' epoxy in the cracks, you just want a thin layer between the pieces. That is what I have found to work best...
I put a bunch of epoxy on there..Could hurt?I used fine sand paper to "finish" the spot where epoxy would be applied. Its rock hard, can barely scratch the stuff, so i will wait till tomorrow and try it out. If this doesnt work, i may look for a place that will weld it for a small price.

Matt
EEYORE
Sat Apr 01 2006, 10:37PM
Well, didnt work...Boy that stuff is hard once it sets, but barely could stand the strenght of my stepping on the starter. I guess epoxy just isnt good at all for force applications, just trival things like filling holes.

Its either the dang parts place that never answers anymore, or a welding shop in town here...
Thread over, epoxy is no good for this sorta thing:-(

Matt

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: