Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Flybacks- Big & Small; Performance Analysis

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Nikhil
Sat Jan 10 2009, 03:41PM Print
Nikhil Registered Member #1751 Joined: Fri Oct 10 2008, 03:16PM
I've been using flybacks with small cores for all my activities. Recently i came across way big flybacks in a local junkyard. Most of em had a huge case and a big core. I suppose the o/p of fbts are at the mercy of internal arcover or melting which has nothing to do with the 'case' size. Why not vary the size of the core alone keeping the case size constant, whats the purpose of a big case? Definitly more energy must be involved with the bigger cores but is'nt this a clash b/w power and insulation!! Do bigger flybacks have better insulation/ higher voltage ratings, r they more reliable than the smaller ones? Could you plz help me understand the difference in performance btwn the big n small flybacks- How does SIZE matter? neutral
Dr. Dark Current
Sat Jan 10 2009, 03:55PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Nikhil wrote ...

Why not vary the size of the core alone keeping the case size constant, whats the purpose of a big case?
With bigger case you can use thicker wire and more powerful diodes -> less heating.

Nikhil wrote ...

So whats the use of a big core when the insulation is inadequate? Could you plz help me understand the difference in performance btwn the big n small flybacks- How does SIZE matter? neutral
The insulation is always adequate, otherwise the transformer could not sustain full voltage. For small power, use a small transformer. For higher power, use a big transformer. Does make sense? smile You don't want to use a big transformer in a small TV because the manufacturer would be paying for extra power which would never be used.

Littlew
Sat Jan 10 2009, 04:47PM
Littlew Registered Member #1448 Joined: Sat Apr 19 2008, 01:16PM
Big core - more power.
Big flyback - better insulation than small FBT, bigger diametr of wire - less heating. If you got old style flyback transformer you can use primary coils to draw arcs(approximately 800 turns of 0.20-0.50mm wire), and if you are lucky you can find flyback that produce 25kV AC.
Nikhil
Sun Jan 11 2009, 02:13AM
Nikhil Registered Member #1751 Joined: Fri Oct 10 2008, 03:16PM
Littlew wrote ...

Big core - more power.
Big flyback - better insulation than small FBT, bigger diametr of wire - less heating.

ok. Regardless the size of the unit, even without overdriving still enormous amts of energy can be pumped thru them. At how much wattages are these devices normally run in CRTs?

Littlew
Sun Jan 11 2009, 04:08PM
Littlew Registered Member #1448 Joined: Sat Apr 19 2008, 01:16PM
Nikhil wrote ...

Littlew wrote ...

Big core - more power.
Big flyback - better insulation than small FBT, bigger diametr of wire - less heating.

ok. Regardless the size of the unit, even without overdriving still enormous amts of energy can be pumped thru them. At how much wattages are these devices normally run in CRTs?

In most CRT tvs >20-40W, but it can pump more power.
But you can find TVs where flyback transformer used to power whole TV, so there is 100w or more

Dr. Dark Current
Sun Jan 11 2009, 04:40PM
Nikhil wrote ...

I think its around 50W usually.
Surely, they will run at 300W but just for a few minutes before getting extremely hot (there are rare exceptions). Most of them may run at 100W continuously but their lifetime can be much shorter.

Most designers design the parts for reliability, this also means overrating them. If they can just supply the needed power, they might well fail after 2 years, but if designed propery, can operate for e.g. 30 years or more. It's just that some designers (and manufacturers) overrate their parts more and others less or not at all (china).

Kolas
Wed Jan 14 2009, 03:11PM
Kolas Registered Member #102 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:15PM
Hi.
For the most part (as far as my experience goes) the insulation of the larger FBT's is substantially better then the smaller ones. And clearly the larger core can handle more power. It would be interesting to know which is designed to go first, the diodes or the insulation between the secondary sections.
I have had some large flybacks that were capable of producing an estimated 80kV, while others could barely produce 40kv... does anyone know which manufacturer makes the best flybacks for outputting excessive voltages?
Kolas
Dr. Dark Current
Wed Jan 14 2009, 04:28PM
Kolas wrote ...

Hi.
For the most part (as far as my experience goes) the insulation of the larger FBT's is substantially better then the smaller ones. And clearly the larger core can handle more power. It would be interesting to know which is designed to go first, the diodes or the insulation between the secondary sections.
I have had some large flybacks that were capable of producing an estimated 80kV, while others could barely produce 40kv... does anyone know which manufacturer makes the best flybacks for outputting excessive voltages?
Kolas
I'm pretty sure the diodes go first. In my experience the core is not the limit, but the heating of the diodes and secondary winding.

I had good experience with Sony Trinitron flybacks, some have a ~5cm plastic "tower" sticking out of the top to which the HV lead is attached. Such as this one, producing god-knows-how-much kV, and it is still perfectly fine by today:
Link2
Link2
Link2 it could do more but I just used halfwave rectification for oh-cool 50hz buzz tongue

Kolas
Wed Jan 14 2009, 04:45PM
Kolas Registered Member #102 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:15PM
haha that looks alot like my work bench. Cool looking flyback though. My best preforming flyback was a similar looking unit but it was white and massive, as is that one.
GeordieBoy
Wed Jan 14 2009, 04:50PM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
> I'm pretty sure the diodes go first...

Also, remember that the stack of series connected diodes in a TV flyback transformer only needs to be rated for slightly more than the DC voltage that it puts on the picture tube's anode. The diodes used in this application ARE NOT required to withstand a reverse voltage of TWICE the DC output voltage like you would find with most normal half-wave rectifiers. Can anyone explain why? wink

-Richie,
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: