Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Parallel coil-layers?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
ScotchTapeLord
Fri Jan 09 2009, 02:18AM
ScotchTapeLord Registered Member #1875 Joined: Sun Dec 21 2008, 06:36PM
I was planning to parallel 3 strands of my 22 gauge wire in order to get a lower resistance coil without buying thicker wire, but also to help distribute current evenly over my SCR "bank." Each wire will be in series with the anode of each of my SCRs, with the cathodes to the bank ground.

Is this a good idea?
rp181
Fri Jan 09 2009, 02:20AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
Just put all the wires in parallel, and wind it like a flat ribbon cable. But the SCR's in parallel and connect it to the coil.
Marauder709
Fri Jan 09 2009, 03:19AM
Marauder709 Registered Member #1895 Joined: Thu Jan 01 2009, 03:12AM
I've done it my self to lower inductance and increase magnetic field strength. It also cuts back on resistance significantly (R= r^-1 + r^-1.....)

That's what I meant, putting the layers in parallel will reduce the inductance, just as you have said.
You're only increasing the magnetic field strength because you are increasing the peak current. Buy an LCR meter and measure it yourself. Or if you have a good voltmeter and a function generator, you can use phasor analysis to find the change in inductance.

I quote from Halliday Resnick and Walker, a Physics book used to teach AP Physics C and introductory college level Physics courses: "Inductance depends on the geometry of the device (the inductor)"

badastronaut
Sat Jan 10 2009, 12:18AM
badastronaut Registered Member #222 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2006, 05:49PM
Yes, that is true, inductance depends on geometry.

It also depends on how it is wired, which is the topic of this thread.

The inductance formula stated earlier in the thread makes the assumptions that the coil is either a single layer or all the layers are wired in series with an average radius.

If you have a two layer solenoid and wire the two layers in parallel, you end up with something equivalent to using only one layer with thicker wire. If this is not true then everyone would be doing it. The inductance of this configuration would be lower than the one where the two layers are wired in series as in a normal inductor. People do in fact use parallel layers to handle high current where flexibility and ease of winding are desired. There's nothing wrong with using parallel layers in place of thicker wire.

Say you have a solenoid with 2 layers and each layer is composed of 100 turns for a total of 200 turns.

The magnetic flux density depends on the number of amp-turns you have in a given area. If you wire the two layers in series, then 1 amp through the solenoid will give you 200 amp-turns of MMF. If, however, you put the layers in parallel, you will get 100 amp-turns with 1 amp through the solenoid. This is because the current divides among the layers such that half an amp flows through one layer and the other half through the second layer. 0.5amps*100 turns + 0.5amps*100turns = 100amp-turns This is only true if you believe in conservation of charge.

Each solenoid configuration, parallel or series layers, has the same current through it, but the series configuration has the higher number of amp-turns. Since the geometry of each configuration is the same, you can say that the series configuration has the higher inductance because it gives the higher magnetic flux per current.
QED

Yes, you may be able to get the same magnetic flux by increasing the current which may be made possible by the lower resistance, but it is not the same as using higher inductance. You can even use a single chunk of copper, i.e. one turn, and have the same magnetic field as long as the current density is the same as the original multiturn solenoid. The reason to use multiple turns is to match impedance with the power supply and reduce the amount of current required by the power supply even though the losses are the same for the same magnetic field since the current densities have to be the same. Inductance and magnetic flux are related but not the same.

When you say you increased the magnetic field by doubling its inductance, that is assuming you were able to keep the current the same, which you may not be able to do because of the higher inductance, you would need a higher voltage to overcome the extra impedance assuming there are AC components to the current flowing through the inductance.

In a coilgun, reducing the inductance might give you higher magnetic flux density because the lower inductance allowed the peak current to be much higher.

Don't go around quoting random texts whether or not they are true unless you understand them enough to prove that they are true. Anyone can steal other peoples work. Yes of course inductance depends on geometry, but it depends on other things as well such as how the individual turns are wired.

In fact, if you wire one layer of the solenoid and then reverse the winding direction on the second layer, you will cancel out most of the inductance of the solenoid. One layer will have X number of amp-turns and the other layer will have -X number of amp-turns for 0 effective amp-turns. This is how they make low inductance wirewound resistors even though the absolute number of turns is the same.

You can't go around citing equations as gospel unless you understand them enough to derive them yourself and know what the assumptions were in deriving them.

Is there anyone else that can vouche for this post?
Barry
Sat Jan 10 2009, 01:02AM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
Well written badastronaut (aka goodengineer), I agree with everything you've said.

A good analysis includes consideration of all the operating conditions (e.g. is the power provided from a voltage source or a current source, etc) along with all relevant assumptions.

Also Uzzors correctly reminds us that the LC timing constant is independent of resistance. That is, the discharge time depends on inductance but not resistance. You can control the rate of damping with resistance but not the natural frequency. Thank you.

Barry
Barry tickles 2009 under the chin. She wiggles and giggles and begs him to stop.
SamS
Mon Feb 02 2009, 10:07PM
SamS Registered Member #1953 Joined: Mon Feb 02 2009, 09:23PM
Just saw this thread and decided to drop by.

Would it be any good if a multilayer coil is made where each layer is a separate electromagnetic coil with it's own bank and switching. When all layers are fired:

a) Magnetic fields add up nicely?
b) If so, would this setup have any advantages compared to "traditional" multilayer coil wound from one wire if switching losses are ignored?

j.azz
Tue Feb 03 2009, 12:59PM
j.azz Registered Member #888 Joined: Tue Jul 10 2007, 06:52PM
I guess it's just more to do if every layer has it's own switching and bank. I see no improvements over single switching.
But seperating the layers has advantages as you can vary the number of layers of your coil and thus making prototyping more easy. IIrc Barry has done this with his MarkII.

Hope that helps.
Quantum Singularity
Sun Feb 15 2009, 05:59PM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Just thought I'd point out if your making flat coils like I use then paralleling layers I dont beleive changes the inductance within reason. I've built a few with parallel layers as well as others here too. The turns per inch stays the same as well as the diamter of coil so the inductance should remain the same right? Just less copper resistance. Basically just using wider wire, which now I have the rectangular wire to use instead... a lot easier than doing parallel layers.
Signification
Mon Feb 02 2015, 01:19AM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
Suppose you had two identical large pancake coils placed against each other face-to-face wired in parallel. The parallel inductor's "rule" says that the total inductance of the two will be reduced to half of the inductance of one. If you try this, I think you will find that this is far from the case--the reason being that the mutual inductance or 'flux coupling' is significant--especially in this particular configuration and at coilgun currents. The rule assumes that there is NO mutual inductance. It may help to think of the definition of inductance as 'amount of flux per amp'--and a lot of flux from one goes through the other. However flux will largley cancel if the paralleled coils are wired out-of-phase. The ohmic resistance, on the other hand, is indeed halved.
BigBad
Tue Feb 03 2015, 03:25PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
Why don't you model it in LTSpice (easily done) and get back to us?
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: