All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

new caps & basic launcher testing rig

Move Thread LAN_403
FastMHz
Fri Mar 31 2006, 07:38PM
FastMHz Registered Member #179 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:08AM
A lathe is one thing I don't have frown A solid wood projectile is a great idea but it may be too heavy. My great stuff rocket weighs 199g. Maybe a light weight wood like cork or balsa but stronger. I'm not sure what qualifies though...

I have my current ring screwed to a piece of plastic using three counter sunk screws, and then the plastic is screwed into the center of the rocket which is a pine core. It held up well except for the cupped ring.

My new coil has an extra coat of epoxy on it...I thought about plastic or even cardboard but that would reduce the magnetic coupling by quite a bit due to inverse square law...those pesky laws always get ya wink

I haven't launched anything for a few days...today's weather is great so I'm going to see about testing some things.
Quantum Singularity
Fri Mar 31 2006, 09:06PM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Yeah, you want the disk to be as close as possible for max coupling but if your using mag wire I dont think 1/8" away will make very much difference, though I dont have effeciency and velocity measurements so I could be wrong, On my previous HV launcher setup I need 1/8" anyhow to keep it from arcing to the projectile and bypassing the coil. I just used regular insulated wire to prevent this rather than mag wire, but mainly because it was alot cheaper. When I start doing it again, especially with low V I'll be using mag wire. I have a small spool of #13 wire which I'll use on my electrolytic setup.

As far as the wood being to heavy... well its only too heavy if your needing some kinda minimum speed. But to be honest, using smaller disks (3.5") a peice of round wood 3.5" diameter and say 6" long will not weigh very much. I would even put money on it saying with the proposed bullet shape wood would go faster and higher than a flat disk alone. As shown on my website and in other posts I have launched a much larger peice of wood before, not aerodynamic at all, just to see what the extra weight would do. In my particular setup the efficiency had to be several times greater with the chunk of wood atop the disk. I dont have numbers, but launching straight up in the sky, if something goes 1/2 the hieght yet ways 5 times more, it is alot more efficient. I attributed this to the extra weight holding the disk down longer in the magnetic field. I am assuming the disk alone flies off the coil long before the peak pulse power is reached. Like I said I dont have any measured data but with my setup it all makes sense atleast. There is some light wood I have, I think its basswood maybe but I dont have a big enough peice to turn to 3.5" although I could probably get some as it came from a tree in my parents backyard. But I will just use pine, or whatever I can get cheap thats light and turns well. I dont mind the extra weight. You could even cut it in half and hollow it slightly, as long as you leave about 2" thick base I would think it would hold up... Got to get some diodes so I can start experimenting again!
FastMHz
Fri Mar 31 2006, 10:28PM
FastMHz Registered Member #179 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:08AM
You're right about the weight helping sometimes...I think I'll glue two 2x4s together and manually shape them into a cylinder and then sharpen it. I may cut it in half and hollow it a bit...perhaps add a payload, such as an egg and foam to see if it survives wink Then again it may shatter into a shower of splinters...
Quantum Singularity
Sat Apr 01 2006, 03:04AM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Well dont forget 4"x4"s are easy to come by if you dont want to mess with putting 2 2"x4"s together. Then again maybe that would make a convenient way to open it to put in or remove cargo. If you dont have a wood lathe and dont want to sacrafice hours and hours I wouldnt worry about trying to shape it into a round nose, I bet a chisel cut on every edge would nearly as aerodynamic. I dont know the geometric term but it would look like a 4 sided pyramid for the tip. I myself would use a table saw or compount miter saw (if its big enough) set maybe to 30 degrees for a leading edge. Or if you were really good on a bandsaw you could follow the dome shape on each edge, that would give you a rounded pyramid shape whatever the heck that is called. I might have to find that out.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: