Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
05/09 AmonRa (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Strange Behavior of Geiger Counter vs Xenon Flash Lamp

Move Thread LAN_403
Dragon64
Mon Dec 08 2008, 05:21AM Print
Dragon64 Registered Member #1438 Joined: Sat Apr 12 2008, 12:57AM
When I turned on my Geiger Counter, I wanted to take a picture of it. When the flash went off, my Geiger Counter also clicked.

Is there a possible explanation to how this is occuring?

Would the Xenon Flash Lamp somehow activate the Geiger Counter?
Proud Mary
Mon Dec 08 2008, 09:00AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
You don't tell us about the type of GM tube, so only a general answer is possibe.

GM tubes will detect energetic UV photons, which is why most, but not all, glass tubes are painted or coated black.

The glass seals on some metal tubes may be sufficient to admit light of sufficient intentsity.

If there is no way light could be getting into the tube, then we must suspect EMP/EMI from the capacitor discharge through the xenon tube.. Only tiny currents are involved in tube operation, and a small EMP or EMI pulse may be sufficient to push the tube far enough up the plateau of the Geiger Region to cause a misfire.

If the GM counter has an audio circuit, it may simply be picking up EMI by so-called 'direct detection' if it be only poorly screened.

Remember that all tubes have a percentage of spurious counts, and the more sensitive the tube, the more easily it is triggered falsely by undesired signals.

If you were to give us some GM tube data, and describe the mounting/housing of the tube, what its case is made of, whether mains or battery powered etc, I would be able to give a much better answer.
Hon1nbo
Mon Dec 08 2008, 01:40PM
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
It is most likely the EMI/EMP generated from the flash, especially via the trigger transformer (but just as likely the cap's e through the flash tube)

However, as I have been researching a little on the side, there is the POTENTIAL, meaning possibility though in this case not too likely, that the flash tube puts out a very small quantity of xrays, but as mentioned before: this is an unlikely scenario, since the gas inside the flash tube should be at a higher pressure than can accomadate xrays...
Dragon64
Mon Dec 08 2008, 03:17PM
Dragon64 Registered Member #1438 Joined: Sat Apr 12 2008, 12:57AM
Well, I have a DRSB-88 Geiger Counter.

I'm not exactly sure which GM Tube they use for the DRSB-88.
aonomus
Mon Dec 08 2008, 04:35PM
aonomus Registered Member #1497 Joined: Thu May 22 2008, 05:24AM
The only thing that comes to mind is to find a way to strike an arc across a flash tube continually, probably using a flyback. Get the arc going and measure to see if there are any emissions.
Proud Mary
Mon Dec 08 2008, 04:37PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
I understand that if you open the plastic case of DRSB-88 that the guts are very light sensitive, and the instrument will click in proportion to the ambient light intensity!

There is a pea neon in series with the tube in this device (the light that blinks when counting is not an LED!) and this would allow bright light from a flash to enter the case, as well as being photosensitive itself!

Moreover, the case is plastic, and so provides no EMI shielding from any RFI/EMI pulse radiated by the flash discharge.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: