Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

I'm Back!!! Washington DC Rocks!

Move Thread LAN_403
Part Scavenger
Tue Mar 28 2006, 03:42AM Print
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
Geez, you guys have been busy! cheesey I'm WAY behind on my reading!

I just came back from the US capitol after a stay of a week and some odd days if anyone cares. My dad had to go to a conference there and becuase it was cheaper to send him and all of us in our bus we redid Link2 than buy airplane tickets and hotel nights we all got to go too. It was awesome! The city was absolutely beautiful, and the Smithsonian was by far the coolest museum I've ever been to. The people were very nice everywhere you went and there was absolutely no trash anywhere. A far cry from New Orleans two years ago! New Orleans had puke on about 1/5 street crossings not to mention the horse pee and wierdos everywhere. I would also like to point out that members of *a certain minority* are alot nicer in the north than the south. Our family was the only white group in several situations and it wasn't uncomfortable in the least bit. Everywhere you go, they smile and talked to you just like there's no difference. They're really clean, and they don't act like you owe them anything. Not only that, they're friendly and easy to talk to. It's, let's say, um, somewhat different in certain parts of town in my state. Better quit before I get in trouble... Interesting contrast though.

The first day was "Memorial Day" We went to all the memorials and to the Washington monument. It was quite large, and pointy, you get the idea. The WWII memorial was quite impressive, however, and it was quite beatiful. Then on to the rest. My faves were the Lincoln memorial and the WWII.

1143517327 79 FT0 Dctrip01

[

Second, we went to the Smithsonian's American History Museum. amazed I could still be on the first floor of that thing. I felt like a kid in Toys-R-Us. It was amazing! Everywhere you looked there was something cool. Somethings you have seen all the time on TV but it was RIGHT THERE! >BTW, we need a *drool* emoticon.< Picture this: You walk in, there's an engine that probably wouldn't fit in my garage, next to that, a piston rod 1 1/2 stories tall and a model of the generator it came off of. Then an exhibit of a machine shop from the industrial revolution! Coming out of there, "Lighting the Revolution". OOOhhh! First there were a collection of generators ranging from *get this*>> treadmill powered to steam powered to water powered to gas, diesel, and more. Coming out of there, there was a collection of the first ammeters, voltmeters, wattmeters, gaussmeters, and more! amazed To the left, electromagnets!, Edison's own lightbulbs!, hand powered generators and voltaic stacks! Leaving that exhibit, computers from tubes to the original apple computer to deep blue; a collection of storage media, like tapes and giant disks and naked laserdiscs. Unfortunately, my mom was carrying the camera and I was pretty mesmorized to get any pictures of the computer exhibit. angry Not all of it was open either cry I could see a really awesome something with tons of tubes and rows upon rows of switches and meters, but it wasn't open frown .

There was a nuclear exhibit, which included "nuclear science kits" (from the 50s?) cheesey Included is a picture of one. (not from the 50's)
1143517327 79 FT0 Dctrip04

Julia Child's kitchen was there. (I have fond memories of her smile I used to watch it with my grandmother, "Hellooo, and Weelcomme to Coooking with Joolia, tooday...) The original Kermit the frog and Jerry Seinfield's "puffy shirt" cheesey Across from that was a huge clock exhibit! cheesey

I went to countless museums all of which were neater than most I've been to. There was supposed to be an Electricity hall in the smithsonian, with a Tesla exhibit, but I went to every part of all the open ones (except african american art and native american museums) I think it was in the Arts and Industry building which is closed cry. The only Tesla I saw was an original motor he built. Pooey.

The Museum of a huge collection of gems and rocks including the Hope Diamond. The Hope Diamond was pretty underwelming compared to other stuff there.

Later, (now in no particlar order), we went to the Library of Congress which was pretty much one of the most beautiful building's I've ever seen. The camera was left in the car cry All I have are pics of the outside. So many books and they won't let me read them! sad Following, we went on a guided tour of the capitol which is maybe the most beautiful building I've ever seen. The ceiling of the entire thing has murals tastefully done, and the rotunda was absoultely breathtaking. We got to see some of the offices that aren't usually open as well like the old senate chambers. Oh, and when you see the House of Reps on TV it looks huge. It's tiny compared to what you would think. confused I was very surprised. We got to tour the White House too, which I'm told by the tourguide most everybody gets turned down. We had to get background checks like three months in advance. It was very nice, but not lavish, and also much smaller than TV.

1143517327 79 FT0 Dctrip10

1143517327 79 FT0 Dctrip07

1143517327 79 FT0 Dctrip08

The National cathedral was really cool too. BEAUTIFUL and every synonym does not describe the sanctuary. Wow.

Anyway, I had a blast and personally took something like 600 pictures. Isn't digital cool? It didn't cost me one dime, and they develop instantly too!

Cheers
-Part Scavenger shades

Omicron
Tue Mar 28 2006, 03:47AM
Omicron Registered Member #131 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 09:25PM
I went there last year, beautiful right?
Tue Mar 28 2006, 04:23AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Ah, good ol' DC

I have been there a few times (although I flew, living in southern California...). Only one problem; the people I was with. The first time I was with 50 kids from my school, 2 of which had a mild interest in the trip, 46 of which just wanted to go shopping, and 2 of which just wanted to cause trouble mistrust
So needless to say it wasn't what it could have been, although I did at least get to glance at the memorials and saw 6 exhibits in the smithsonian (man they spent a long time at the miracle of life mad ).

The second time I was with a bunch of kids from the local boy scout troops (national jamboree), about 200 of them. Luckily? we traveled in groups of 50, so it only took us like 10 minutes to get off the bus... Don't even get me started on that scoutmaster mad . In that group I saw a lot more of the east coast, but this time I would say around 6 people were somewhat interested (like 1 each day for 6 days) in the tours, 40 were just there bitching about how they could be home playing video games or patch trading, and 8 JUST there to cause problems. Which of course the scoutmaster did nothing about. There was a place to get your ham license at the jamboree, all you had to do was show up at 8:00am on any of the 5 days; I could not make one because the scout master was too lazy to make the kids get off their asses. In any case, I saw mostly the same exhibits as I was briskly walking though on the way to the gift store. Argg, at least you had a good time...
Part Scavenger
Tue Mar 28 2006, 04:51AM
(man they spent a long time at the miracle of life mad )

LOL! Gasp. I'm sorry, that's just funny. I'm sorry you didn't get to see everything. frown I would have just *accidently* gotten behind. wink
Ben
Tue Mar 28 2006, 06:28PM
Ben Vigilatny
Registered Member #17 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:47PM
The national cathedral is a great place to take a girl at night.

If anyone else decides to visit, I would recommend the Udvar Hazy center and the Spy Museum.
Part Scavenger
Wed Mar 29 2006, 01:48AM
Yeah, the "hazy" was really cool! They had the original "bell" jetpack, the lifesize space shuttle windtunnel model, spy cameras with gun sights and even a Concorde and a SR-71 blackbird. There was probably 100 something airplanes in there. Way cool.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: