Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

The Biggest Lesson to be learned from Global Warming . . .

1 2 3 4
Move Thread LAN_403
Ben
Tue Mar 28 2006, 06:09PM
Ben Vigilatny
Registered Member #17 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:47PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

Ben: Where is this magical anti-crashing technology that comes pooping out of the combatants' asses? i assume you're talking about nuclear power as an offshoot of the atom bomb program, and more generally, about war as a catalyst for development? I don't buy it, but that's probably just my personal prejudice.
Technology in general was what I was referring to. Profit(of which money is only one representation) drives innovation(all of it). I was assuming the fighting was capitalism, at least that was the implication I read in the original metaphor. Capitalism is all about exploiting human nature(greed) to extract extraordinary efficiencies.
Steve Conner wrote ...

I think military technology is fundamentally different to the kind of technology that we need to use energy in environmentally friendly ways. Uber hippy Amory Lovins liked to draw a distinction between "hard" and "soft" energy, and military systems are pretty hard, since they're designed to destroy things with concentrated energy of a very high thermodynamic temperature.
I'll just give one example, out of many, to counter this odd claim. The internet....

The distinction between "hard" and "soft" energy along millitary/civilian lines is dubious....at best. The distinction in and of itself is pretty arbitrary. I wouldn't call the Sun "soft" power. Or lava. No offense, but this argument reminds me of when this pothead tried to explain quantum mechanics to me; he waved his hands.......a lot.

Ethanol is not a viable solution. Probably won't ever be. Perhaps some bioengineered "fuel plant" could be. It would likely come with it's own trade-offs.
EastVoltResearch wrote ...

Good to see that 4hv isn't completely made up of liberals. And those extremist environmentalist groups that want to save all the happy trees in the Northwest to help save some stupid spotted owl don't think about all the families they would be screwing by putting their parents out of work (lumber industry, etc...) But this is offtopic, so on with global warming . . .
It does seem to have a lot of strongly held, but not well thought out opinions, on every side.(I'm accusing anyone in particular, here)

Here's some good news, soon pig will both taste good and be good for you.
Steve Conner
Thu Mar 30 2006, 10:23AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I must admit that Ben got me with the internet thing. I forgot that it was originally designed as a military communications network that could survive a nuclear attack. So I don't really have a leg to stand on.

I'm not really fit to contribute to this debate anyway, since I suffer from several cognitive biases, perhaps the worst being the "Michael Moore Is Cool Effect". I kind of suspect Ben has the opposite bias to mine, the "Defense Research Must Be Good For The Planet Because I Do it And I'm A Great Guy Effect " wink These two views of the world obviously aren't compatible so we could argue forever without getting anywhere. So I'll give up now.
 1 2 3 4

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: