Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Sale and Trade
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

want to buy a pole pig

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Michael W.
Fri Mar 31 2006, 05:07AM
Michael W. Registered Member #50 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:07AM
a variac so the Pole Pig is not always running on full power, or so if something is wrong you can slowly bring up the voltage so it isn't slammed with 120V (or 240V) and explodes.
Fri Mar 31 2006, 05:11AM
Registered Member #256 Joined:
o ok also it would be 240 v! i think thid would be worse too!
Quantum Singularity
Tue Apr 11 2006, 12:06AM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Youll need a really BIG variac if you plan on going over 10kVA - probably as hard to get reasonably cheap as a pole pig. An old used arc welder from an auction was what worked for me. It was $1, covered in rust, no welding cables, and the adjustment handle was seized up. Took about 2 hours one day, got the old case off it, and slowly worked the handle until I got it moving. Its been a while but if I remember correct I shorted the welding cable terminals together, and ran the 220V 'plug' in series with the pole pig. This provided excellent control on a high power jacobs ladder. The welder was originally rated at 275A welding current. All the way on low it ballasted the pig to about a few amp draw, wide open it was up to about 100A on my clamp on meter.

BTW, I wouldnt worry too much about the kVA rating, just make sure to get the V thats in your range. Most pole pigs could deliver 2X or 3X there rated kVA for short runs. Unless your planning on making like a 50' tall tesla coil then you might need some big ones.
Tue Apr 11 2006, 01:11AM
o no i think that i am going to run 5 or 10 kva and with the arc welder, if you put so the current for welding would be higher you would put more power to the pig right?
Omicron
Tue Apr 11 2006, 01:16AM
Omicron Registered Member #131 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 09:25PM
I side with Funkey, the danger of the pole pig is way to high, you dont seem to respct it, you are 16 years old and have truble opaning an Ipod, that just spells diaster, If you kill yourself, the forum could be sued.most of us here have much more expereance than you and most of us would not take a Pig Pole if it was offerd, you also seam to not know what to do with it In several post you say Telsa coil, but in others you say JL.

If you are desperate to get one though Call the power copany and say its for a project.
Tue Apr 11 2006, 02:14AM
I want to do jacobs ladder then a tesla coil with it, also btw how could the forum be sued if something happened? for giving advice? i am not trying to be an ass but i am getting one one way or another. and i am asking how to open the ipod becuz i dont want to have any damage to it and that i still want it to be operational when i get it opened.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Tue Apr 11 2006, 02:41AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
I wish I could talk to your parents for 5 minutes about the danger.
Tue Apr 11 2006, 03:05AM
well i have told them because they were questioning me getting one, and they know i work very safely and that i need to be supervised when i use it as an extra precaution so that wouldnt be necessary hazmatt
GimpyJoe
Tue Apr 11 2006, 03:10AM
GimpyJoe Registered Member #316 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 01:30PM
I'm sixteen also, probably because my parents wouldn't let me get a pig last year. Now that I understand the dangers better, I don't even want one anymore. MOT's are much cheaper, lighter, and more convenient than pole pigs, which means the only good reason you would need a pig is to run +10kva. Since you don't want to do this anyway, it seems like you just want to make yourself look like a pro, sort of like the people who go out and buy huge tires and suspension and fog lights for their pick-up trucks and then never drive them on anything larger than a speed bump.
Tue Apr 11 2006, 03:42AM
yes i see what you mean ant to tell the truth i also think pigs just look really cool and all too
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: