Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Sale and Trade
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

want to buy a pole pig

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Mon Mar 27 2006, 08:03PM
Registered Member #256 Joined:
wow 75 bucks? that sounds great, i got a 240v50a plug so i am pretty sure this will handle a 5kva well, and i think i am going to go about making a ballast as well and this should be great, i will pull a search on that company as well, and btw i am very careful with my equipment and this will be extra care to use this.
Quantum Singularity
Mon Mar 27 2006, 10:34PM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Polepig Small
Yeah, I paid $150 total for this including shipping. That is a deal you wont often come by though. BTW, I was 19 in the pic. But I must stress again that you really have to have a need for something this big. Mine is rated at 20kV and 10kVA (it was cheaper and lighter than the few 5kVA units that were available at the time). I have run this up to about 20kVA on a Jacobs ladder for 20 seconds or so at a time.

I have used a GE instrument transformer (aka P.T.) 14,400V ran up to about 5kVA for short durations just fine. It is about 1 foot square, rolls around really easy, and you can pick it up without needing a 2 ton shop hoist.

Pt2s
Here is the PT, sorry for the poor quality pic though. Its not mine, was borrowed at the time.
Mon Mar 27 2006, 11:33PM
damn i really want one of those! i got 190 dollars at the moment and i am sellin stuff and pullin weeds to get more money! i would go for a PT too but i think those pole pigs just look cool lol idk why but i just do, lets see ive emailed like a lot of different companies for quotes so maybe i will come by something like that, i would actually prefer a 10 kva because i can start out low and work my way higher and higher power, well hopefully i can find one for under 400 dollars
HV Enthusiast
Thu Mar 30 2006, 07:19PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Since you are just starting out (at least thats what i think you said before), a PT is a perfect choice - much better than a pole transformer. The 14.4kV PT shown in the above photo is good for about 240mA output current and a ballast consisting of 500ft of 12AWG wire (just a spool from Home Depot for about $10.00) provides just about 240mA output.

If you are interested, and near the philadelphia area, i have quite a few of these for sale still. Contact me PM if interested. Pick-up only.
Fri Mar 31 2006, 12:20AM
ha so far 190 dollars, im on my way, i am getting 150 more this weekend and so then i will have 340, i found a site that will sell a 5 kva pig for 300 + shipping which will likely be bout 200 dollars so i have to get a lil more money
Desmogod
Fri Mar 31 2006, 01:10AM
Desmogod Registered Member #139 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 11:01AM
Have you built a TC at all yet?
For the cost of your Pig, you could make an entire SGTC, secondary, caps, Xfmr etc
Fri Mar 31 2006, 02:25AM
yes i have made a coil all the way up to a 5 mot stack so i think that i am ready to move up to something "professional" i am still planning on trying out mmc because it is supposed to be a good easy cap for tcs and i am sure will be somewhat expensive
HV Enthusiast
Fri Mar 31 2006, 02:25AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
I also need to add, that if you get a pole transformer, you'll also need the following:

1. Ballast
2. Large Variac
3. Protection (fusing, etc...)

If you haven't built a TC yet, a pole transformer powered coil adds a lot of extras that aren't required with lower power NST units etc...
GimpyJoe
Fri Mar 31 2006, 03:59AM
GimpyJoe Registered Member #316 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 01:30PM
teslas son wrote ...

i tried mots and they got messed up

How so? And let's have some more details about your experience with HV. Right now I think getting you a pig would be about as responsible as sending you a loaded gun. I don't mean to seem like a jerk, but I'd rather not see you on the news...
Fri Mar 31 2006, 04:39AM
i had them wired together and welded all the cores together, and i am not sure if the fact that they were all welded together created a voltage effect but it arced in the secondaries i have made a few nst coils and a coil with my mots which broke on the second run in halloween, i know what you mean to funky its better safe than sorry but i am still after a pig and i will eventually need it, and evr i know i need a ballast, why do i need a variac? also by fusing its on a circuit breaker so will this count as fusing? 25ov 50 A breaker so that should be able to supply 12.5 kva if my math is right?
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: