Genesis (27)
UbuntuNinja (29)
ZakWolf (29)

Next birthdays
06/07 Dr. H. (35)
06/08 Elecric eng (37)
06/08 AndreiRS (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

rewound xformer

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Sam
Fri Mar 24 2006, 11:57PM Print
Sam Registered Member #227 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2006, 10:47PM
Hello everyone! It's the MOT freak, I have found an old '95 MO and the transformer in it bad, the secondary arc'd over to the core and BAM! there are lots of black marks and such... That must have scared the people using it. anyway I dont just want to throw it out, I wanna use it, it sucks as a ballast but I was thinking of rebuilding it. I know for sure its welded together but thats no big deal, I could use a hacksaw or something and then bolt it back together or go weld it up at my friends shop. I was wondering If I can use the priary alone and just redo the secondary for more voltage. I have nice 33g wire thats just begging to be used. what should I do? how do I? the things that I've found when searching are not alot of help.
Mike
Sat Mar 25 2006, 01:47AM
Mike Registered Member #58 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:40AM
Hmm its possible to do this yes but it would be quite a pain, why not just find another Microwave oven transformer, they are so easy to get and it will take quite a while to unweld it, rew
ind it and then bolt it back together.
Sam
Sat Mar 25 2006, 02:15AM
well in the time it took me to post this second message, I have unwelded 2 MO transformers and I think I'm gonna use the bigger one, I'll try to find my camera....

I was thinkiong maybe in the range for making a solid 1KW to 2KW TC with this thing.
I kept the 120 winding in very good condition but like expected the secondary is toast, It's a nice "EI" core and I still have the shunts. I called my friend and I can use his welder. cheesey
by the way I'm running on 60Hz and 120 is the best for me. mybe 220 but I hope not.
what is the best/highest voltage I can expect?

Sam
Sam
Sat Mar 25 2006, 02:23AM
here are some pictures
1143253379 227 FT5439 Ei1
Mike
Sat Mar 25 2006, 06:00AM
Mike Registered Member #58 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:40AM
oooh, cool, apparently its not as hard as I thought ;)

Good Luck!
vasil
Sat Mar 25 2006, 06:45AM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
I dont think u have much window on the core for big voltages. one idea is to make two secondaries in series each one for 2 kV (so 4 kV total), with a primary between them (like in a NST topology). it will be lower power too, because I dont think that you will have too much space for thicker wire.
Sam
Sat Mar 25 2006, 06:51AM
yep! I got two of the suckers ripped apart. The first was a skill trainer, full of insolation and crap. the second was the neat xformer, neatly done in about 5 minutes.
Anyway I was thinking about the secondary, I could get 33gauge wire and alot!
How many turs should I put on this thing?
I wanna keep the pretty primary(hehe rhyme) but if it has to go it has to go. Do I need the metal shunts in there between the primary and secondary? what other things should I keep in mind?

ooooooh and whats the highest possible voltage with no oil? and I'm willing to coat in lots of clear coat....
vasil
Sat Mar 25 2006, 06:54AM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
It is hard to say, depends by the insulation of the outer turns of the secondary and the core arms. You have to run some calculus, calculate the secondary you need for the voltage you want, calculate the thickness of the secondary winding, compare with the window, decrease/increase the number of winding layers, etc...

your homework today
the_anomaly
Sat Mar 25 2006, 08:35AM
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM
I would leave the shunts in because without them you will end up drawing loads of power. Another quick way to open mots' is by using a dremel to cut along the weld of one side. When you have cut about 3mm deep take a flathead screwdriver and a hammer and chisel along that weld. The weld should pop open within the first few taps and then you can pry the mot from its base because the other sides weld will bend and break.
dan
Sat Mar 25 2006, 06:02PM
dan Registered Member #223 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2006, 06:42PM
You can do away with the shunts if you want. This will give you more room for insulation and windings. I have removed the shunts from my MOTs in the past for more power. Also Pole pigs don't use shunts because they waste power. You will need an external ballast if you plan on shorting the secondary. I wouldn't really bother making a HV transformer out of a MOT core. There really isn't enough room in there for the ammount of insulation needed. Maybe under oil you might be able to make a 5kv-10kv transformer. But since you would need very fine wire to make the secondary fit I don't think you would get more than 200-500VA without overheating the secondary. Which is about the same as an NST anyway. MOTs can be rebuilt to make really good low voltage, high current transformers for welding or other LV,HC applications.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: