Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Future of space exploration

Move Thread LAN_403
Desmogod
Fri Mar 24 2006, 04:09AM Print
Desmogod Registered Member #139 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 11:01AM
Having just started my Physics degree, I am now seriously considering the ideas and dreams I have had in my head for the last 30 years or so.
With the lack of funding by governments (They would rather funnel resources into oil IMHO), what do you guys consider the future of space exploration to be?
We have dedicated people like spacex and Bert Ruttan/Scaled composites, are they the future? There are so many untapped resources in the cosmos, and whoever gets to them first and figures out affordable transport will be a very rich man indeed.
Also, do you not think it is time that we get at least one self-sustainable outpost before we do something silly and wipe ourselves of the face of this planet.
When are we going to see sub $1000USD/kilo launch costs?
Discuss.
ragnar
Fri Mar 24 2006, 06:08AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Desmo wrote ...

Also, do you not think it is time that we get at least one self-sustainable outpost before we do something silly and wipe ourselves of the face of this planet.

You mean, we haven't done anything silly yet?? wink

In all seriousness, I think we'll find space programs will succeed only when privatised and profitable; e.g. returning 'untapped resources in the cosmos' as you say. What inhibits this progress however is the apparent fact that launches are dangerous, damaging to the local environment, and therefore 'scientific' adventures are only-just accepted by communities, and 'business venture' space objectives would be greedy and uncaring of the environment, but nobody will say why.

I think it'll take a couple of people (say, China? :P) who can find enough capital and enough persuasion-power to get the 'good news' out there to the general population so that whatever they do has support. Telling an unvarnished tale about any business intention these days is bound to get you slammed by the large proportion of ignorant people to which you'll need to pander.

So, who has the starting capital, the incentive, and the persuasion-power? =)
Carbon_Rod
Fri Mar 24 2006, 06:47AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
I think the best way to explore space is with a decent telescope since it is low cost and relatively safe. =]

In my opinion it is one of the most important decisions this planet must make. As we grow in numbers the available energy resources decline and increase in cost. Global supply of high-energy materials like nuclear fuels will be exhausted long before technology reaches the point of large-scale successful interplanetary travel. This means with our current knowledge base it may become even more difficult with time – unless 4 billion people stand on each other’s shoulders.

There is always hope... Things like the current space-elevator design incentive may provide an economical loophole.

And on that note perhaps there may be a simple solution: “give it a fresh cup of really hot coffee...and turn it on!”(Douglas Adams)
GODSFUSION
Fri Mar 24 2006, 10:49AM
GODSFUSION Registered Member #157 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 08:00PM
Think about it, the only problem is MONEY. We physically have the technology and man power to undertake most feasable projects. Personally i hope Project Promethius is a success, Virgin Galactic's Space-Ship-Two works out and they start production of VSS (Virgin Space Ship) Enterpise.

- Wayne -
vasil
Fri Mar 24 2006, 11:09AM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
The problem is that the money are the most important thing on this planet. Or because there are few people that would do anything without money...
Steve Conner
Fri Mar 24 2006, 12:36PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I agree with Carbon_rod, if society carries on the way it is just now, then by the time our technology is advanced enough to let us colonise new planets, we won't have enough fuel left on our own planet to build and launch the spacecraft that we need to establish a sustainable home on another planet, and we'll be fully screwed. Or Western society will collapse completely before it ever reaches a stage advanced enough for interplanetary travel.

So I say sure, explore space. I would love to see humans colonise other planets somewhere, but let's get our base camp in shape first.
Coyote Wilde
Fri Mar 24 2006, 03:22PM
Coyote Wilde Registered Member #175 Joined: Tue Feb 14 2006, 09:32PM
Asteroid mining, anyone?
-- The technology was there in the 60s, it's just hella expensive to set up. Any metal you want, there's a rock chock full of it, including Uranium.
Thermodynamically feasable? I was planing on making that a paper at some point; I'm not sure. Giant fold-out mirror to melt the rock; a couple small a-bombs to set it spinning first, so it centrafuge-settles.
What about solar power satellites? Thermodynamically viable? Depends on what you call an SPS--photocells, perhaps not. A 6-km alumanized something mirror 18 atoms thick--heat engines work in space, too. Hot side at several thousand degrees, cold at minus two-hundred... so you're stuck with radient cooling into that cold side; 'tis still workable. (I think?)

Space Exploration whilst helping the energy crisis... unless we can figure out a way to make that work, methinks we may be grounded.
Although I find the statement "a stage advanced enough for interplanetary travel" kind of funny... has anyone read Zubrin's work? The man basically has blueprints for everything needed to get us onto Mars, with technology not much better than the Apollo missions. Price tag? 20 Billion to start off with, 2 billion or so for each subsequent mission. Not cheap, but how much does a fleet of nuclear submarines cost?
The problem isn't necessarily the technology to send people out there not existing; it's the will and the percieved advantage of it by the general public.
Since that isn't there, private endevours seem to be the way of the future--but no private endevour is going to raise twenty billion for flags, footprints, and science...
HV Enthusiast
Fri Mar 24 2006, 05:58PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
GODSFUSION wrote ...

Think about it, the only problem is MONEY. We physically have the technology and man power to undertake most feasable projects.
- Wayne -

It has to do with a lot more than money. Remember, the only reason we EVER went to the moon was due to the Cold War and our goal to prove our superiority over our not too friendly USSR neighbors. Scientific research and exploration was only secondary. Times are much different now.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: