Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

What's wrong with the FCC?

Move Thread LAN_403
ShawnLG
Fri Mar 24 2006, 03:48AM Print
ShawnLG Registered Member #286 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 04:52AM
I have been getting minor interference throughout the shortwave band. So I googled the problem and found this. The FCC allowed the use of BPL (broadband over power lines). Watching these videos are very disturbing. The FCC exist to prevent unwanted interferance with radio servicies, but they allow this happen. If the FCC is allowing this, what good are they? We should do away with the FCC and save a few tax dollars.

Link2

Dave Marshall
Fri Mar 24 2006, 04:53AM
Dave Marshall Registered Member #16 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:22PM
The FCC has been unabashed in its outward support for BPL, damn the consequences. The manufacturers and service providers claim that there is no threat of interference (sure, you can pump RF into miles long unshielded conductors. They dont call it a dipole or anything like that), and the FCC seems quite content to believe them, despite complaints lodged by dozens of radio operators, and even FEMA. How it will play out, I dont know. I suspect it will end up being pushed through by the powers that be, and it will just be one more tick mark against an ineffective and outdated beaurocratic organization.

Dave
Fri Mar 24 2006, 05:00AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
I don't really know too much about hams (not being one myself) but I can say this...

The fcc does a very good job considering the amount of devices it has to deal with. It has managed to set a up a system where everything gets it own range, and for the most part it works. Eventually there will be flukes, but they are pretty dang rare (the only two that come to mind are microwaves interfering with out 2.4ghz band and the bpl with the shortwave).

Consider what would happen if they did not exist and people could do whatever they wanted? The whole rf part of the em spectrum would be filled with random people's equipment, and you wouldn't be able to get anyone to shut down the local retard that bought a big shortwave transmitter and is screwing with you... And the other one who decided to build a huge wifi booster that is emitting so much trash that all 2.4ghz appliances are blocked...

Not that I like the fcc mistrust
Bored Chemist
Fri Mar 24 2006, 06:53AM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
Sue the BPL ISP.
Carbon_Rod
Fri Mar 24 2006, 06:59AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
They became a corporate stick to enforce economic barriers.

Even the remaining GHz bands may be ripped from the hobbyists and auctioned off soon.

The funny part is after recent natural disasters many of the dead CB channels came back to life – and I thought everyone bought cell phones. =]
Steve Conner
Fri Mar 24 2006, 11:29AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
BPL is right up there in the cleverness stakes with chocolate teapots and Teflon toilet paper. Hams in the UK fought bitterly against it when it was first proposed about 10 years ago, and for the time being, we have won smile The UK is pretty much fully wired for ordinary DSL now, apart from some remote areas, but as far as I know , the preferred way to get internet to these places is with a community satellite uplink that gets distributed by wi-fi. The cost of the satellite gear would make you faint, but the government gives grants for that sort of thing, to try and get e-businesses to set up out in the sticks and boost the rural economy. I live in a major city so I get 2Mb DSL no problem.

Having said that, I still suffer pretty badly from QRM on the HF bands caused by my neighbours' computers, TV sets and such like. At first I thought it was the switched mode power supply that I used to power my HF rig, but even when I filtered the hell out of it, and then turned it off altogether and ran from an old fashioned linear supply, much of the mush and birdies was still there. The weirdest thing is, I actually have a neon sign in my living room, but it doesn't make any difference to the noise level on HF when I turn it on :-o
Ben
Sat Mar 25 2006, 06:25AM
Ben Vigilatny
Registered Member #17 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:47PM
I'm about to switch from 3 mb dsl to 10 mb fiber, for $5 more a month. Hopefully they'll just start using all the dark fiber instead of BPL.
Chris Russell
Mon Mar 27 2006, 02:42AM
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
I have to agree with ..., they have done a pretty good job of minimizing interference, and making sure all these different devices play well together.

However, why they would turn around and allow a system that will pretty much spell the end of SWL and HF Ham radio, I'll never know. What's the point of carefully regulating the airwaves for decades, only to destroy them practically overnight? I guess they're too busy protecting people from breasts on television to care about the people whose services always prove vital during times of disaster. Do we need an FCC? Yes. Does the FCC currently need a huge overhaul? Yes.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: