All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

New Gauss Rifle

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Quantum Singularity
Sat Apr 01 2006, 02:52AM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Well it might help us if we know were you live. I dont think you'll have much luck finding steel rods on mars tongue . Around here it is available in any hardware store, lowes, home depot, or can be substituted with bolts, drill bits, pins (not little needles - pins for hitch recieves and suff) or various junk in my garage probably has steel rod pieces in it - or at a scrapyard.

I am sure a hollow point with sharp edges will do some damage to soup cans and such. And looking at it from a ballistic standpoint, a coilgun bullet is quite a bit different than a normal bullet. A full metal jacket bullet would be most similar to a cg bullet, and it is pretty darn rare to see a hollow point FMJ being used. Riffles dont often use HP either, simply because there is no need - HP's were designed for handguns to get the bullet to mushroom at much less energy as compare a riffle round wich will mushroom even with a pointed tip. A steel cg bullet is not going to mushroom, and for hunting there would be two routes to take; penetration or maximum shock. A pointed bullet would get you max penetration, and a flat or wadcutter (term used mostly in pellet guns and shooting competitions) would get you maximum shock. For example, small game arrow tips are flat to knock out the animal or simply deliver a huge enough blow to kill them. I have shot a ground hog with 3 pointed arrows and didnt kill it, however I have taken many deer with pointed tips (and some sharp blades). The hollow point that rupidust posted will have properties of both because it is slightly dommed and has a sharp edge it will have slightly less shock and more penetration than a flat nose. But more shock and less penetration that a pointed tip. Heck to be honest it might be a pretty darn good design, just depends on the application.
Remus
Mon Apr 03 2006, 08:56PM
Remus Registered Member #342 Joined: Thu Mar 23 2006, 08:27PM
You say I can find something like this at a scrapyard? Im in Texas btw. hmm.... I wonder If theres one here in town....Would a junkyard have the rods? hmm....Im not too concerned about the hollow points. I thought that would be just neat, but Im trying to get the projectile first. then I figure things out from there. wink

Also I asked about the charging circuit...and I think rupidust responded... does a charging circuit really cost 22 bucks? or could I possibly build one cheaper...

(im guessing that youre trying to make a profit too):-D

I wish I could roll back the clock back to when I was in high school...I took three years of this stuff, and I can barley remember anything.... neutral

Thanks for the help guys...

On another note, Ive got some calculated values so far. I have a
Peak current density of 555 MA/m^2. Is that enough to limit heating? Im reading on the Magnetic Club site, and they say the current density should be higher that 1000 MA/m^2.
Another thing, does a wire length(of the coil) of 44 feet sound accurate, or is that too long?
Im going to try a single stage first...so that what these numbers are for. Ive got a projectile velocity of 35.24 m/s. My Peak current is 600A, with a voltage of 220v. How can I calculate how efficient my coilgun circuit is? confused

My 4th set of calculated numbers gives me something I like, and may just go for it. amazed 150V, 600A, a coil length of 1.5" and 4 layers of 36 turns of 18 gauge wire each. Projectile velocity at 28.5m/s. I think that sounds way better, and more possible on my first try, then the first set of numbers...but my question about Effieciency and heat limiting still stand are yet to be answered. sad
Yohan
Thu Apr 06 2006, 03:18PM
Yohan Registered Member #194 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:52PM
I know Yohan gets mad when noobies ask about how to make a coil gun
I don't recall ever getting mad when someone asks a well thought out question that didn't already have the answer posted somewhere in another thread.

Like this one:
does a charging circuit really cost 22 bucks? or could I possibly build one cheaper...
If your target voltage is <170vdc you can build a charger for about $2.00 and plug it right into the wall. How? Just rectify the 110vac coming out of your home wall outlet.

And this one:
just slotting it might reduce eddy currents, but it wont necessarily increse the speed or efficiency
Could not be more false. Eddy currents bad. Efficiency good. Getting rid of eddy currents boosts speed by reducing drag and increases efficiency which = cheesey

For steel rods - Home Depot - Lowes - Any hardware store - I would go with cold-rolled steel. It's easy to work with and very cheap.

What have you chosen for a barrel material?
What are your questions for efficiency and heat limiting, specifically?
Remus
Thu Apr 06 2006, 07:51PM
Remus Registered Member #342 Joined: Thu Mar 23 2006, 08:27PM
[quote]
I don't recall ever getting mad when someone asks a well thought out question that didn't already have the answer posted somewhere in another thread.
I found a previos thread...
... that has to be the most ignorant post I've seen out of you yet.

This forum is dedicated to those in search of knowledge and you create a "Coilgun for Dummies" post. Shame on you.

Sorry, I may have misunderstood. wink
What have you chosen for a barrel material?
What are your questions for efficiency and heat limiting, specifically?

I might go with aluminum, tho I may stick with steel. Still doing the research so I dunno which is better.
As for heating limits, according to the Magnetic club site, the inductance should be over 1000uH, All of the calculated inductances so far in simulators have been way below that. Is that good or bad?

Also, I got two ques. Anyone know where I can find the legal limit of a projectile velocity out of a gun? And, how fast or how slow a projectile needs to be in order not to have problems injuring someone ( or shooting it through a wall)? cheesey Thanks!

As for the charging circuit, I need a small mobile circuit, that can run on AA batteries. turning 18vdc into 150vdc.
Yohan
Thu Apr 06 2006, 08:12PM
Sorry, I may have misunderstood.
You did misunderstand. Read it again. That post was directed at an existing member who was counseling a newbie.

I might go with aluminum, tho I may stick with steel. Still doing the research so I dunno which is better.
As for heating limits, according to the Magnetic club site, the inductance should be over 1000uH, All of the calculated inductances so far in simulators have been way below that. Is that good or bad?
Conductive barrels are not good. I don't care if you slot them or not. The eddies can still spin up in a slotted barrel and jack your efficiencies. Look into polycarbonate. There are several other suggestions in the archives as well.

1000uH is huge...take the MGC with a grain of salt. The coils we used for our fastest and most efficient model ranged from 5u to not more than 500u with the armature at TDC.

Also, I got two ques. Anyone know where I can find the legal limit of a projectile velocity out of a gun? And, how fast or how slow a projectile needs to be in order not to have problems injuring someone ( or shooting it through a wall)? Thanks!
I wouldn't worry about that. I'll be quite impressed if you get a velocity even 30% of a low caliber air rifle.

As for the charging circuit, I need a small mobile circuit, that can run on AA batteries. turning 18vdc into 150vdc.
Why mobile? Why 18v? Do you realize how simple it would be to modify an AC wall plug to get your 150vdc? Perhaps you should do that first to at least get the gun calibrated and working well. Then, after you've learned a bit more, venture into power supply design. Or just pay the $22 bucks...

After reading your posts, I can see that you haven't been through the archives yet.
So I'll tell you what I tell every other new forum member. READ!!!! It's all in here. We'll help you if you get stumped.
Simon
Fri Apr 07 2006, 04:11AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
Okay, the original swipe at Yohan was definitely pushing it, now let's cool things a bit. The issue in the last thread was cleared up as far as I know.

wrote ...

A. Be respectful. This includes everyone: other members of the forum, moderators and administrators, other people on the internet, and any other person, living or dead. Making false statements that are damaging to another person's reputation is not allowed. Insults, threats, and harassment are prohibited!
wrote ...

F. Let the moderators do their job. If you're not a moderator, you shouldn't be accusing new members of not having read the rules, or of not Googling properly. You certainly shouldn't be making people feel unwelcome by acting hostile. If there's a problem with a post, report it to a moderator, and let them handle it.

In short, don't make personal remarks and don't tell others what to post. If you have a problem, tell a mod.

Simon
aahz
Fri Apr 07 2006, 10:22AM
aahz Registered Member #186 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 07:22AM
Remus wrote ...

Here, I just posted this: 12v to 450v+ Boost Converter
Yohan
Fri Apr 07 2006, 01:03PM
With regard to small and mobile:

With a battery powered charger, the life of your charger is limited to the amount of energy stored in your batteries. Depending on the size of your capacitor bank, you may tear through a pack of AA's in one session. This can get expensive.

To obtain the velocities that you had mentioned in previous posts, you're going to need a fairly large capacitor. i.e. >>470uf especially if you're operating at 150vdc. Reason? The energy in your capacitors is .5CV^2...typically we use a small capacitance, larger voltage to get the energy you need to obtain the velocities you want. In this case, your V is relatively small so your C will need to be larger. If your C is large, you're going to have a small, mobile white-hot charger (if not properly sinked as aahz mentioned in his boost converter post - awesome little circuit btw cheesey )

It's your decision, but until you get it tuned, it would be wise to use the quasi-free energy coming from the wall outlets of your college/home. (quasi-free as long as you don't pay the e-bill wink )

EDIT: OR....use rechargeable AA's!!! Seems a bit redundant though... mistrust
Desmogod
Fri Apr 07 2006, 02:21PM
Desmogod Registered Member #139 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 11:01AM
Or a generator on a hand crank :P
Steve Conner
Fri Apr 07 2006, 03:26PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Well, then you could just build a crossbow with a winch for loading. That would cut out all the pesky electronics and it would be 50 times more efficient too. Try not to go too far off topic folks.
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: