Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Old school radio jammer

Move Thread LAN_403
Danielle
Fri Aug 29 2008, 08:24PM
Danielle Registered Member #632 Joined: Mon Apr 09 2007, 01:09AM
I know this is a bit off topic but its within the peramiters of interference. when I was testing running my primary with no load and increasing the frequency around 800Khz I started to hear the inturupter signal through the intercom system at home.... well I experimented with this and I was able to play music from the interrupter of my DRSSTC through all the ppeaker systems of my house, is this ieligal? because I was thinking it would be an incredible way to cupple any speaker to your signal :)
Shaun
Sat Aug 30 2008, 12:05AM
Shaun Registered Member #690 Joined: Tue May 08 2007, 03:47AM
Since most common SSTC frequencies are in or very close to the AM radio band, you can often witness this effect (interrupter "playing" through speakers) if you turn on any AM radio near an SSTC.

You don't even need to tune to an empty station-an SSTC, even a very small one, will be orders of magnitude more powerful than radio stations at that distance.
Nallsak
Sat Aug 30 2008, 09:02AM
Nallsak Registered Member #1660 Joined: Thu Aug 28 2008, 02:01PM
Done some more homework.
I'm not too suprised that you can hear your SSTC on your intercom. Actually, in the early days tesla coils and variants of it was used as spark gap transmitters. (Basic throw away, any kind of RF filter on a modern coil, and you got a spark gap transmitter. Also on another side note, the seconder coil can be thought of as a helical antenna)
I didn't expect to find or build a spark gap transmitter, able to transmit, on a true UWB. But, the main reason spark gap transmitters where legally banned, was that they had a very wide transmitting signal, and so it was really difficult to have multiple transmitters working within the same band.

A small analog, take an ordinary FM transmitter you can find on the net. Make the oscillator into a VCO and then put a triangular or sawtooth control signal to it. Now you got a transmitter that sweeps it's transmitting band.
In a case of a spark gap transmitter, you will try to find the center frequency of the FM band and let the nature of the circuit drift the sending frequency. (All you HAM radio enthusiasts know that the LC based oscillators tend to drift, and it's very hard to actually have a specific frequency. That's why VCO and PLL techniques are used.)
Seoul_lasers
Sat Aug 30 2008, 09:13AM
Seoul_lasers Registered Member #1630 Joined: Sat Aug 09 2008, 11:36AM
This is quite the project. And there is an interesting use for it.
Cell phones are everywhere and they become rather annoying. You don't have to build a device for these phones from not working.
-- have you ever seen what happens to cells in elevators. They stop working. No signal. Simply all you have to do is build a faradays cage, earth the cage & bingo... no signal. :). It's pretty easy to do.
Ah sometimes, silence is wonderful.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: