Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

AC, DC, and Power Transmission

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Bjørn
Tue Mar 21 2006, 02:58AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
100kV is no problem, 500 kV is common. You just stack a number of diodes or thyristors. You can buy completely standard thyristors that take 4.5kV at 3kA.
teravolt
Tue Mar 21 2006, 04:46AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
AC is mutch more convertable than DC there fore more easaly transmited thanks to Tesla and Westing House at the turn of the century. Also Tesla worked for Edison who was a DC man so Tesla left and invented Tesla coils and poly phase circuits and the rest was history.
Tue Mar 21 2006, 05:26AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
there was a thread almost itentical to this on the old forum (but I can't find it).

I think it was going more on why do power companies use hv instead of using more copper and a lower voltage (copper is expensive), but a silimar thing goes here. It just costs too dang much to put dc-dc converters everywhere. There is an article arround refering to some huge ass vacuum tube that was supposed to able to do the converstion, but the article seemed to have a lot of bs it it.

I think they decided that at 60hz there was not much more corona losses than with dc, so they use it. I believe another reason that it caught on soo much was that it made for much better motor designs (you didn't have to use the brushed to reverse the polarity, so they last a lot longer, and you can get bonuses like them all beign syncronised).
IamSmooth
Wed Mar 22 2006, 05:50PM
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
I believe I started the thread on the last site. I was asking the same question.
Bjørn
Thu Mar 23 2006, 01:05AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
The reason three phase AC was used over 100 years ago is that it was the only workable solution. Today DC is more efficient but conversion is very slow since fairly short term economical goals is the deciding factor.
Carbon_Rod
Thu Mar 23 2006, 02:02AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
AC based systems are popular and have well documented solutions. High power DC over long distances has numerous other issues most people have simply forgotten after the 1940s.

However I have seen off-the-grid homes that run a DC primary lighting and temperature control system with an AC-Inverter for traditional equipment. It’s just cheaper to build it this way sometimes and gets more efficiency out of the system by avoiding unnecessary power conversion & conditioning.

Both DC and AC generators have their advantages under certain conditions.

What is the power source and intended use (home or commercial)?
FastMHz
Fri Mar 24 2006, 11:35PM
FastMHz Registered Member #179 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:08AM
Very interesting discussion. I always thought AC was better for long distance transmission than DC...at least, what's what they taught in school when you learned about the Edison vs Westinghouse battle. Aside from that, AC is good because of transformers and cheap induction motors whereas DC motors need to be brushed...OT: I wish we in the US had 240v standard in all wall outlets though instead of 120v.
vasil
Sat Mar 25 2006, 06:51AM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
AC is considered better because you can transform the electric parameters, cheap and easily, after your necesities, any place, anytime. AC transformers can work, in any wild conditions without much survey.
Carbon_Rod
Sat Mar 25 2006, 09:17AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
“DC motors need to be brushed”
If you meant a generator then this assertion is not completely true. It is common to have permanent magnets rotating around/between fixed coils. DC generators are easier for windmills as rpm fluctuations will not be as much an issue to remain usable. The ones that we evaluated had almost no ripple in the DC except a minor blip. I was rather amazed by the design as I was expecting to see a classic filter or regulator doing this -- yet it was without either. Most shocking was the price tag… ouch… =]

Alternators are perhaps the more popular devices these days (especially the heavy duty automotive units with external diode blocks.) The choice is easy if ones looking at buying 1 km of cheap drainage pipe or heavy copper wire. Often people try to get the generator as close to the dwelling as possible to reduce cost and maintenance issues. As it is much easier to regulate water flow it is often better for stable performance output. These are plentiful and cheap… so often are the preferred devices for both commercial and residential use – just don’t forget to clean the silt trap once in awhile.
Ben
Sat Mar 25 2006, 09:29PM
Ben Vigilatny
Registered Member #17 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:47PM
There are point to point DC transmission lines between Canada and the US.
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: