Genesis (27)
UbuntuNinja (29)
ZakWolf (29)

Next birthdays
06/07 Dr. H. (35)
06/08 Elecric eng (37)
06/08 AndreiRS (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

First TC arcs on the ground

Move Thread LAN_403
the_anomaly
Sun Mar 19 2006, 04:25PM Print
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM
I have built my first TC an SGTC and after finally getting it to work the arcs are coming from the ground.(see picture)

I have a 5kv 20ma Nst in parallel with the static spark gap. I am using 8 doorknob caps at 18kv 650pf each. I tilted the tc so I could see down the center of the secondary and saw the discharges. I tried reversing the connections and playing with the ground (copper rod hammered into earth) but nothing changed it. Any ideas on how to get the streamers to come off the top where there supposed to? Here’s a pic of the actual tc.

20tilted2
GimpyJoe
Sun Mar 19 2006, 04:29PM
GimpyJoe Registered Member #316 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 01:30PM
You should never ever ever run the ground through the inside of your secondary. Check the inside of your secondary coilform for burned spots. If there are none, remove all the metal from inside the secondary, plug any holes with silicon, and use silicon to glue a plastic disc into the bottom. Just use a spade connection or something to connect the bottom of the secondary to ground. Good luck with your coils!
Marko
Sun Mar 19 2006, 05:30PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Your screw is too long, and arcs come from windings of secondary hitting it as it is grounded.
You must find a way to keep that screw shortest possible, or better use plastic screw.
Dont run coil with internal arcing, as secondary can ignite after a while is stable arcs are formed.

It won't be kind of fireworks but you can get some ugly burned holes in your secondary...
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sun Mar 19 2006, 07:23PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
most professionial coilers don't make any intrusions into the coil itself. Mounting is done via copper pad glued/fixed to the outside of the coil. Mounting this way is very difficult because you don't have much mechanical strength here, but it prevents arcs from climbing in the interior of the coil.

Get this, While running ~700W I was getting 2x my winding length roughly. 30-40" sparks, and my coil form is about 22" tall. Well I really had 2 coils that I could switch back and forth from because one had taken a hit from a piece of wood and I didn't know the extent of the damage. So I had wound another.
Anyways, the first I had wound only had about 2" top margin between the end of the coil and the end of the tube, the other had about 5" of margin. Neither coil had any intrusions into the interior except for a foil strap at the bottom to connect ground.
Well as luck would have it, the one with a 2" margin was just right to have the spark travel OVER THE TOP and DOWN the COIL!!!! I did not forsee this one!!

So margins and external terminations are very important.

You may want to fabricate a Tee plug insted of that bolt or go with an end cap or glue a flat plate to the bottom of the coil itself. I don't care much for PVC, but in my case its my only option for a prototype. Now of course, you could always use a nylon threaded rod for now and just connect the lead wire differently.
the_anomaly
Sun Mar 19 2006, 08:12PM
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM
Thanks for the replies. There are no more intrusions and I am getting streamers out the top. I used hot glue to fill the holes and hold the wire and it sticks really well. Now I have another problem. I can only get two inch streamers and that’s when I adjust my primary to only 1 turn! Any more turns and there is no breakout!? I played with the spark gap but that doesn’t improve it much. Any ideas?
Michael W.
Sun Mar 19 2006, 09:49PM
Michael W. Registered Member #50 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:07AM
I had the same problem and I came to the realization that my secondary was so out of ratio and everything else that thats all I was going to get. Mabye thats not your case though...

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: