Finn Hammer (72)
Blue Adept (43)
Nickel (68)

Next birthdays
05/18 AlexRU73 (39)
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

optimal coil for induction launcher (thomsongun)

Move Thread LAN_403
PYLEMET-mk2
Sat May 31 2008, 01:08PM Print
PYLEMET-mk2 Registered Member #1513 Joined: Sat May 31 2008, 12:08PM
Hello all. I'm here for the first time. Sorry for my english, i don't know it well - if you didn't understand any phrase - please, quote it and I will try to write what it mean
I need some theory about induction launcher. In a project, I need to accelerate passive projectile with such parameters: lenght 80mm, diameter 35mm, weight 60g for the speed of at least 60 m/s. I hope that I approach this speed by launching projectile with a flat aluminium ring on a bottom side of projectile, which will be accelerated by induction launcher. That's why I have some questions:
1. I have 7 capacitors 6KV 22mkF with a resistance of 0,7 Ohm and maximum safe current of 2,5KA. I need to calculate coil in such dimensions: d=8mm, D=35mm. Maybe exists a theory about optimal parameters of coil for approaching maximal effectiveness? I want to know oprtimal resistance , lenght and inductivity of coil => optimal wire diameter
2. How changes the magnetic field of coil while diatance between projectile and coil grows? Maybe, someone from this forum experimented with accelerating projectile from different distances from coil? I will be glad to see any results

Here are some my experiments. I used one 6KV 22mkF cap, 40g projectile with an aluminium flat ring in bottom
and such coil:

Wire is so thin because I had a limit of 2500A maximum current in coil. For further questions: yes, I know that using a ferrite rod with such energy is stupid :)
Some videos (800kb):
Link2
Link2
So, i need a theory to continue my project
PYLEMET-mk2
Tue Jun 03 2008, 09:15AM
What's wrong? Why nobody answers?
rp181
Tue Jun 03 2008, 01:25PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
I havnt researched this, but i think 6kv caps is to much. The launchers ive seen use around 500v, and increase the capacitance for more power.
PYLEMET-mk2
Sat Jun 14 2008, 04:06AM
My further experiments you could see in this topic:
Link2
If you need a translator, you could find it here: Link2
Hon1nbo
Sat Jun 14 2008, 02:10PM
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
I have some designs for this kind of thing lying around somewhere (professional, maybe it has some formulas and good advice for a custom one)... I'll post them soon
Hon1nbo
Sat Jun 14 2008, 06:29PM
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
well, I still have the designs for one, but no formulas are included except one: inverse square law
e.g. make sure that the non-magnetic disk is as close to the coil (without causing a short) as possible and making the pulse as high and as fast as possible, [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_square_law] ... also, it recommends using square magnetic wire to reduce the air gap between the coil and the projectile (as the coating of magnetic wire amplifies the field if I remember]...
Fraggle
Sat Jun 14 2008, 07:17PM
Fraggle Registered Member #1526 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:56AM
I have found by experimentation that 12swg magnet wire gives the optimal results for my particular cap (9Kv 12uF), I wind 2 layer coils the same diameter as my projectiles. Your capacitors should be enough to achieve your goal and then some and you can have more turns than electrolytic based launchers thanks to all that voltage. I`d probably start with 3 layers as your projectile has a small area...

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: