Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
05/09 AmonRa (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

X-ray scanner idea

Move Thread LAN_403
Wolfram
Wed May 21 2008, 11:01PM Print
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
I just got an idea that I thought I'd share with the community. Feedback is appreciated. This idea is for a simple replacement for the film normally used when making radiographs.

Getting and developing film can be costly and/or expensive, and it takes time, but the results are excellent.

I have seen a couple alternatives to film for hobby radiography, but they can be a bit impractical. One way is the one that c4r0 used, photographing the front of fluorescent film from an intensifying cassette, with the X-ray tube pointed towards the back of the fluorescent film, with the object to be photographed between the tube and the fluorescent film. One problem with this is the fact that the radiation from the tube hits the camera CCD, lighting up pixels. One potential way to circumvent this would be to place some thick leaded glass, for example from the front of a CRT, between the fluorescent screen and the camera. An other way to circumvent this is to have the camera looking at the screen via a mirror, the radiation goes straight through the mirror, and therefore doesn't hit the camera. This method was used by Fabio for a real-time radiography machine he made. I'll try to find the project thread in the forum archives tomorrow.

The problem with these methods are that they can be a bit bulky, and they take up a lot of space and can be tedious to pack away if the space is needed for other projects.

My idea is to take a normal flatbed document scanner, disable the light source in it (usually a CCFL, sometimes LEDs in newer ones), place some fluorescent film from an intensifying screen where the document should go, and then sealing it so that no light can get in. The object to be photographed would be placed on top of the lid (the lid could be replaced with a sheet of black plastic if the scanner lid is too curved), the X-ray source placed above it, and then turned on while the fluorescent screen is scanned. Some scanners are very thin, so this could be made quite compact. The CCDs in scanners are usually looking at the document through a mirror, so shielding the CCD with some lead sheets in the direction where the X-rays come from should be possible.

Possible problems:

* How light-sensitive are scanners? How much light do these intensifying screens put out with a reasonable hobbyist X-ray tube from a reasonable distance? Hopefully this works out to give usable contrast.

* How long time does a modern scanner take to scan a normal page at a reasonable resolution (100-200 DPI)?

Anders M.
Fabio
Thu May 29 2008, 02:52PM
Fabio Registered Member #122 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 12:55PM
This is my original theread:

Link2

I don't' know if a modified scanner can be used for digital radiograpy (i think that fluorescent screens aren't enough brighter for a normal scanner, in addition, a small tube usually cannot run for more than a couple of seconds, not enough for a complete acquisition) but i'm sure that an XTV camera is nothing more than an EMPTY BOX, so you could build a camera that could contain entire apparatus while not in use (as my one) or maybe a foldable/demountable camera

Happy Xraing! wink
plazmatron
Fri Oct 03 2008, 07:07PM
plazmatron Registered Member #1134 Joined: Tue Nov 20 2007, 04:39PM
Ok just for the crack, I bought a Cannon cannoscan N640P off eBay to try this out, its an idea I once had before, but didnt think it would be practical.

I disabled the LED light with black insulating tape, loaded in a piece of fluoroscope screen, and placed it under my x-ray machine.

Below is the result: A screwdriver, and light fitting.

Scanner

The speckles on the image are caused by the x-rays directly affecting the photodiode array (if I had bought a CCD scanner it would have been possible to shield the CCD).
The image is B&W since in this model of scanner 3 LED`s (red green, blue) are used to sequentially illuminate the document in normal use.
The photodiode array, is physically as wide as the scanner bed, and the optics for each diode is integrated, making it impossible to shield the array from the radiation.

So yes, its possible, and even worthy of some more investigation!

The scan time by the way, was just a few seconds at the lowest resolution, quite acceptable!

Leslie

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: