All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Suggestion Box
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Samples thread?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
GimpyJoe
Fri Mar 17 2006, 12:33AM Print
GimpyJoe Registered Member #316 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 01:30PM
I was trying to remember all the sites that sample and checked the "free samples" thread in the archives to find the links. For some reason the thread has no replies, but I definetly remember there being a number of sites in listed in replies after the original post. So I thought I'd see if anyone else is interested in starting a "free samples, MK II"
Fri Mar 17 2006, 02:46AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
here is the old one

IMHO, fairchild and onsemi should be taken off; they don't deserve sample status since they won't accept my @calstatela.edu address cry

A few I have tried... littlefuse (really great, but it may take a month for the stuff to show up), ti (excellent), microchip (just as good), maxim (decent)...
Mike
Fri Mar 17 2006, 03:38AM
Mike Registered Member #58 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:40AM
Umm, member ...
No offense but think first.
Fairchild is a large industrial corporation, they don't want students stealing all their samples for projects. They most likely have all .edu addresses blocked, and every other popular email blocked. Either make your own email host, or go to google and find the most random unknown free email host you can.

On that note, Fairchild is awesome and I love it.

Ive tried Illinoiscapacitor.com and no luck, they never sent.

Mike
Fri Mar 17 2006, 04:38AM
and because they don't want us sampling their products we should advertise their sample program?

With the places I listed I gave my .edu address and put <1000 for the annual production quantity, and of listed put a hobbyist for the application and they came (from most people).
Mike
Fri Mar 17 2006, 04:53AM
If you still sampled from anyplace, than the company is assuming that you are gonna buy 0-1000 pieces, dont give me bull about it being any different than with Fairchild, it is the exact same thing.

Sure TI has the student thing, but as far as I've used Microchip and Maxim,which you stated you used in an earlier post, they are no different from fairchild.
Fri Mar 17 2006, 06:08AM
This isn't really worth arguing over, especially in the suggestions thread dead
But to back up my arguments... From ti I have paid for several hundred chips (ucc driver chips; 40 of which I kept and a ton of which I have distributed throughout the world), from microchip not as much; just a few of the pic's/th442x's and a pic1 dev board. From maxim I have bought several max1270 a/d's that I found by sampling from maxim because it was a kickass a/d. But even that is still within what I said I would. All of the picofuses I have bought that have a name on them say littlefuse. From fairchild I have also paid for several hundred $$ worth in fets, and from onsemi I have paid for somewhere between $50 and $200 in assorted logic chips/transistors/etc but only because they were the cheapest person to get them from. Same goes for all of the other companies I have bough stuff from, IR, ST, NTE and radioshack by the looks of my stash of semi's.

Perhaps maxim/microchip/etc just do not read the sample orders and just send sampled out to anyone that asks and don't realise that they are sending them to a hobbyist. Or it might just be because of the higher value of Farchild's/OnSemi's parts that has forced them to stop selling them to us. It might even be that Farchild/OnSemi are bigger targets for people selling samples. I don't know why they won't let us have them. I am just saying that they don't seem to want us sampling so perhaps we should stop.
Mike
Fri Mar 17 2006, 07:30AM
Hmm, I agree on some of that yes, but places like Fairchild are so huge, they can't take on the task of checking who samples and such as smaller companies can, and sampling most likely does get there main buyers. The samplers like hobbyist who just do it for there projects probably doesnt bother Fairchild, since to a company like them , its like dropping a few pennies on the street.

But in any case, only sample what you need, and the companies wont start taking parts off the samples list.
:)

Mike
ragnar
Fri Mar 17 2006, 09:58AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
My two cents (well, actually it was AUD $813)

If sampling requires deservedness, I'll vouch that Peter (...) gave various semiconductor manufacturers business of 125 x IRFP460s, 120 x UCC37321, 120 x UCC37322, and 70 x 40N60.

And that was just for November cheesey

He deserves the samples he applies for, considering he gave (for free) business from eleven other people to the company. Peter is not another case of hobbyist-parasiting-off-the-big-guys every month.
Mike
Fri Mar 17 2006, 04:01PM
Yeh thats fine then, He deserves to be able to sample from fairchild and On semi :)
GimpyJoe
Fri Mar 17 2006, 06:49PM
GimpyJoe Registered Member #316 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 01:30PM
I love the sample process. For poor students like me it's great because I can get exactly what I need when I need it. I don't abuse the sample process, and I just hope others on this forum won't either. The box of parts I sampled from Fairchild came today: two IRFP 460's... Haha, I hope I'm not hurting the company with my massive sample orders
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: