Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Do you cook?

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
EEYORE
Sat Mar 18 2006, 06:54AM
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
Now that im in college i cook everyday. I used to simply eat noodles and chicken wings until my GF came along a few years back with her Colombian food...Now i cook lotsa things such as steaks, chicken, pork, pizza, rice+beans. She actually banned me from noodles and chicken wings (except every now and then) but i still sneak them cheesey

My fav thing to cook-Grouper, grilled. Filet Mignon is good too, but way to $$$ for me(my roomate will buy it and I will cook it).
I actually find it fun to cook and relate it to HV and other projects. Everything becomes a circuit to me tongue

Now, if i can just get a cooker and my dad's championship BBQ recipes wink

Do drinks count?I love to "cook" up drinks!mmmm Bloody Mary, screwdriver and MARGARITAS!
(I think ill have one now...)

Matt
GimpyJoe
Sat Mar 18 2006, 07:02AM
GimpyJoe Registered Member #316 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 01:30PM
Don't worry about getting everything done at the same time. I suspect if you really researched it you would find that there has never been a group of people who arrived at their dinner table on time anyway, so you might as well just let things get cold and then pop them in the microwave. Or you could set the table and then heat everything at once with a big HERF...
ragnar
Sat Mar 18 2006, 07:38AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
... wrote ...

As to the getting everything done at the right time...

Most people just do it by practice but if you have the capability to count in hours/minutes/seconds you can make like a lot easier by taking a guess as to how long it takes to cook a dish (x minutes) and the time when everyone will be sitting down expecting food (y o'clock) and using some confusing math to put it on at the right time.

Aww I've found it's never that easy. Things go wrong, stuff gets burned, stuff is ready early and you need to work out how to keep it hot etc. Just a matter of better future co-ordination for me, I'll get the hang of it with practise.
Plasmaniac
Sat Mar 18 2006, 10:05AM
Plasmaniac Registered Member #206 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 03:17PM
Mhhh... marshmallows...

1142675677 206 FT4387 Img 1679

I'm living with my parents, but both of them work and I have to cook 1-5 times a week. No, I actually don't "cook" marshmallows every day wink I really love to make xtra hot ghoulash soup(my sister doesn't...), pizza or pancakes and saucages(yeah, right). But I often haven't got enough time to cook and just threw in a pizza from the fridge.
Madgyver
Sat Mar 18 2006, 11:26AM
Madgyver Registered Member #177 Joined: Wed Feb 15 2006, 02:16PM
blackplasma wrote ...

Aww I've found it's never that easy. Things go wrong, stuff gets burned, stuff is ready early and you need to work out how to keep it hot etc. Just a matter of better future co-ordination for me, I'll get the hang of it with practise.

Yeah. Actually I can somehow solve this with practise, but I realy screw up at friends kitchens. Because the heat intensity of the stoves are different. Also I am NOT used to use gas.
Heiders
Sun Mar 19 2006, 08:01PM
Heiders Registered Member #268 Joined: Tue Feb 28 2006, 02:44AM
Any else have/use a slow cooker? Solves all timing issues, you just make your veggie/side dish and whenever its done, you serve the slow-cooker! Great and hilarious slow-cooker recipes here.
GODSFUSION
Sun Mar 19 2006, 10:50PM
GODSFUSION Registered Member #157 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 08:00PM
I LOVE to cook. i really want to appriciate the food im about to consume and i want it to taste good and original. I can make a lot of stuff with reasonable accuracy. my rents refuse to get an electric oven so i cant really bake anything and have it come out unburt of fully cooked. i love to tkae on a new challange and love to do foreign dishes to broaden my abilities. Epicurious is my favorite website, cooking related. and umm...

kinda sad...i cant even make a good pizza cry

- wayne -
Ben
Mon Mar 20 2006, 03:58AM
Ben Vigilatny
Registered Member #17 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:47PM
Whe I can work up the gumption, I'mactually a pretty decent cook. Lst good thing I made was kind of accidental. I left some chicken marinating in the fridge for ~2 weeks. I found it yesterday. I was just about to go to the gym so I put it in the oven at 250 deg. F. I came back a few hours later and it looked kinda bad, dark brown and all the marinade was crispy black. But it tasted amazing. I ended up making some alfredo sauce and mixing in the chicken cut up with some sun dried tomatoes. It was great with some linguine. My mouth ached for more afterwards.
Simon
Tue Mar 21 2006, 12:16AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
What's an alfredo sauce to you?

I once went to an Italian restaurant and saw an alfredo sauce on the menu. I'd made an alfredo from a recipe in a book once so I thought I'd try a "real" sauce - it turned out to be a completely different sauce! I think one was cream based and the other a tomato based sauce.
Tue Mar 21 2006, 01:12AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
To me alfredo sauce is a thick/creamy white sauce, usually served over flat noodles and possibly with chicken/seafood mixed in. There is an italian chain about 5 minutes from here that has a huge (like a pound of pasta in there) bowtie pasta with the best alfreido/sun dried tomatoes and chicken. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it cheesey
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: