Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

HV MOT project as my introduction to forum.

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Dragon64
Sat Apr 12 2008, 02:17AM Print
Dragon64 Registered Member #1438 Joined: Sat Apr 12 2008, 12:57AM
Hey, I was browsing through the website whenI stumbled across this unique website. I Love HV and signed up right away.

Yesturday, I was working on my MOT and felt that I needed a Green Thumb's Up from the HV expert's out there before I connect my MOT to the 120 VAC.

My MOT is not ballasted to anything and im using the Microwave capacitor to limit the current the MOT draws out. Here are some schematic's and picture. If there is a problem, please let me know so that I wont kill myself when I hook it up to the 120 VAC.

IMG 4513
IMG 4512
IMG 4514
IMG 4515
IMG 45166
IMG 4517
IMG 4518
IMG 45200
IMG 4522
IMG 45233
IMG 4524
IMG 4525
MicrowaveOvenTransformerSchematic

[Edit: Maximum 400 pixels]
Arcstarter
Sat Apr 12 2008, 03:08AM
Arcstarter Registered Member #1225 Joined: Sat Jan 12 2008, 01:24AM
First of all the ac does not have a positive or negative,it has a hot(or live) and ground. Second you do not use the filament winding(the thick wire with few turns). And the ground is actually the metal core. And the high voltage will not jump that gap. It will take like 20kv or more to jump it.
northern_lightning
Sat Apr 12 2008, 03:21AM
northern_lightning Registered Member #1348 Joined: Sun Feb 24 2008, 01:48AM
you probably don't want to use a wooden board. wood can be quite conductive with high voltages. be careful--MOTs might be readily available but they can also be deadly! perhaps a flyback-based project would be a better intro?

welcome to the forum smile
Dragon64
Sat Apr 12 2008, 03:27AM
I just redone my curcit so that the core will be my ground. Also I hooked up the HV end (Which would be the red HV tape stuck to it)

I purposly put the electrode far apart because I dont want the arcing to be close to the MOT.

I also decided to get rid of the capacitor. So now should I plug it in and let the HV wire touch the core?

northern_lightning wrote ...

you probably don't want to use a wooden board. wood can be quite conductive with high voltages. be careful--MOTs might be readily available but they can also be deadly! perhaps a flyback-based project would be a better intro?

welcome to the forum smile

Well I've played around with my flyback running of my oscillator for too long and I also need to make a power source for my upcoming Tesla Coil. NST is to costly in my city.

[Edit: Double post]
Myke
Sat Apr 12 2008, 03:46AM
Myke Registered Member #540 Joined: Mon Feb 19 2007, 07:49PM
A single MOT isn't the best thing for building a tesla coil because the voltage is relatively low and high current.
If the current it too high then you might have trouble quenching the arc.

Is this right? (I've never built a tesla coil before)
Dragon64
Sat Apr 12 2008, 03:56AM
Myke wrote ...

A single MOT isn't the best thing for building a tesla coil because the voltage is relatively low and high current.
If the current it too high then you might have trouble quenching the arc.

Is this right? (I've never built a tesla coil before)

Maybe I should get a NST.

How much do you guys pay for one?
Andyman
Sat Apr 12 2008, 05:32AM
Andyman Registered Member #1083 Joined: Mon Oct 29 2007, 06:16PM
If you get lucky, you can get them for under $30. Call your local neon sign shop and see if you can take the "failed" units off of their hands. Often, there is nothing actually wrong with them.
Look here Link2
Be careful, don't buy any transformer that has secondary ground fault protection built in. Of course, there are ways to disconnect it, but it's difficult and messy.
Lakeowner
Sat Apr 12 2008, 09:49AM
Lakeowner Registered Member #1370 Joined: Mon Mar 03 2008, 09:01AM
I went to a junkyard two days ago, and I was allowed to search from junk heaps. Actually I looked for transformer cores, but there were also lots of NSTs with ratings of 520VA and less. I took one for test to home (for free), and it worked perfectly :). At the bottom: Link2
I recommend to check out your local junk stations.
lpfthings
Sat Apr 12 2008, 11:35AM
lpfthings Registered Member #1361 Joined: Thu Feb 28 2008, 10:57AM
It's not common for HV hobbyists to actually buy NST's, they usually scavenge them, get failed ones and repair them, or call the neon sign shop (thats how i got mine, for free). What i did, is just looked up a neon sign shop in the phone book, went down on a saturday and asked if they had any OLD TRANSFORMER STYLES that i could use for HV experiments. The guy went right to the shelf of NST's, grabbed the BEST looking and highest voltage NST he could find, told me how to wire it up and sent me on my way. Nice guy. I am 14, and he didnt even hesitate giving one to me (i am careful, dont worry lol) You still have to be very careful with NST's, they arent as likely to kill you, but it is still possible under the right conditions, but what isnt cheesey
Dragon64
Sat Apr 12 2008, 12:10PM
I phoned into our local NST and asked them if they had any failed NST. They said that they had none currently and said that they might phone me if they find one.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: