Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Thermite

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Omicron
Sat Feb 18 2006, 09:40PM
Omicron Registered Member #131 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 09:25PM
Just be safe the stuff burns at about 4000 degrees
Jim
Sun Feb 19 2006, 04:22AM
Jim Dunce.
Registered Member #28 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 03:29AM
An oxy acetylene torch lights it pretty easily.
Omicron
Sun Feb 19 2006, 05:38PM
I wouldn’t use a oxy-acetylene touch if you paid me. The point of the magnesium ribbon fuse is to give you time to get at least 20 feet away so you if some thing goes wrong you aren’t hit with a rain of molten iron.
Michael W.
Sun Feb 19 2006, 07:31PM
Michael W. Registered Member #50 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:07AM
oh, you'd have a good 2 seconds to get away.....(as the molten metal hits the acetylene tank)
Marko
Sun Feb 19 2006, 07:51PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Maybe good idea for lighting it would be some powerful HV source, maybe a mot is a good idea...

But now its more dangerous also...
Mike
Sun Feb 19 2006, 08:47PM
Mike Registered Member #58 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:40AM
Yes arcing is actually a really good, way, just maybe have a mot or flyback a 10yards away with long wires traveling to the thermite. put the wires at jumping distance, and the arc should be hot enough to ignite it, atleast my arcs are.
:)
Omicron
Sun Feb 26 2006, 07:25PM
Just don’t use copper or zinc for electrodes they will explode in to vapor.
IamSmooth
Sun Feb 26 2006, 09:22PM
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
I think you are all making the THermite experiment more complicated than it needs to be.
All you need is Thermite mixture, fuse, magnesium strip or (sugar/nitrate mixture).

If you set up this fancy arcing equipment it will probably get melted or splattered with molten metal from the reaction.

Swany
Mon Feb 27 2006, 12:59AM
Swany Registered Member #261 Joined: Mon Feb 27 2006, 12:34AM
My first interest that my parents did not approve of was, and is, chemsitry. The next vice on my list is, well, electronics. Somewhat sadly, I am a much better with chemistry than electricity...

The thermite reaction is really quite fascinating and easy. There really is no 'hard' part to it. You need an iron oxide, and you need aluminum. Some elbow grease may be required to prepare both, if they are not handily delivered to your door by a rather frightened UPS man.

Preperation of Iron oxides (II, III and magnetite): Prepare a stock solution of FeCl2. This involves dissolving an iron source in hydrochloric acid. Hydrochloric acid can be bought about 10 molar, or 31.45% at the hardware store for about 4$ per gallon. If you want FeO, or magnetite, you need to dissolve it AWAY from air, basically put it in a jar, and cover the jar such that the evolved H2 gas can escape, but no air can get in. If you want Fe2O3, go ahead and dont cover it. Now, you have dissolved all of the iron that the HCl will take. If you used steel wool, filter out the carbon now. Hopefully you have a pretty green solution of FeCl2* or and orange solution of FeCl3. Now you get to make your oxide. There are 2 ways to go about this, that are practical.
1) Add molar amounts of potassium hydroxide, sodium hydoxide, lye, NaOH, KOH, whatever you want to use. Your iron hydroxide will precipitate, filter, and dry in the oven at a few hundred degrees. This yeilds oxide.
2) Dump in some ammonia solution. This will precipirate the oxide.

Now, magnetite is a complex of FeO and Fe2O3, this means you have to prepare FeCl2 and FeCl3 solution. You can either reduce some FeCl3 solution to FeCl2, or whatever you want to do. One could oxidise their FeCl2 solution to FeCl3 with H2O2 or similar if they didnt want to let it sit in the air for a while. Now, I suggest you mix equimolar amounts of this, and add ammonia. Lots of ammonia. This will precipitate very small particle sized magnetite. This yeilds a more energetic thermite reaction...

Aluminum: Take some Al chunks, pop cans, whatever, and take an angle grinder to them. Something that spins really fast is good. Catch it all in a garbage bag. Make thermite. Or, buy it. Whatever works for you.

Other oxides can be used, in order to isolate their respective metals. Some notable and easy to obtain oxides: CuO, B2O3, MnO2. Copper oxide and aluminum behaves more like a flash powder, and can be quite violent. B2O3 thermite isnt that energetic, though you get boron powder when your done. MnO2 thermite isn't that special, though you can get MnO2 free from old batteries. A D cell battery will yeild about 70g of it!

And, why not make your own chlorates? You can make them quite easily with a homade electrolysis power supply that consists of an old computer power supply, a resistor, and some posts. To obtain sodium chlorate, electrolyse NaCl. Potassium chlorate? KCl. That is essentially it. Naturally, it is more complex, with some subtle nuances that can be annoying, but its quite easy if you really want some.
*PURE FeCl2 is actually a very light yellow. Green solutions etc. are usually due to impurities. These include chromium, and others.
Mon Feb 27 2006, 06:20AM
Registered Member #256 Joined:
thermite is coming up a lot lately in my welding class. you can get Al powder at paint stores? i think it would be worth a try
i hear using a spakler is good means of ignition btw
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: