Genesis (27)
UbuntuNinja (29)
ZakWolf (29)

Next birthdays
06/07 Dr. H. (35)
06/08 Elecric eng (37)
06/08 AndreiRS (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Looking for quick and dirty HF oscillator for Class E SSTC

Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Shark
Mon Mar 13 2006, 09:16AM Print
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
This is still my Class-E SSTC endavour. I have played around with CD4046s, NE555s, antenna feedback, but nothing so far has worked well. The feedback approach has the drawback that I cannot test the driver on its own, but only connected to the tesla coil. The CD4046 is a way too complicated chip for me, I just can't figure out how to set the center frequency, locking range and this funny low-pass filter feedback thing correctly.

Therefore I am now thinking about putting together something like a Colpits or Hartley oscillator to provide a stable 4MHz or whatever sine-wave which I can then square up and amplify with a gate driver chip. It would of course be nicer if could tune the frequency with a pot, but I don't want things to get too complicated and I can live with tuning a cap of inductor.

Is it completely stupid to use a valve-era oscillator to drive a SSTC, and I should either get accustomed to todays digital stuff or leave it completely? Or is this a remotely feasible idea?
ragnar
Mon Mar 13 2006, 10:30AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
A joule-thief circuit with a tiny inductor will get to those frequencies quite easily.

I might also mention that high-speed phase-locked-loop chips are very nice cheap oscillators, considering they're always running, and you can kinda control them with a pot.

Alternatively, you might be inspired by my 'tiny royer' oscillator, built with 2N7000 FETs and 1N4148 feedback.

Try joule-thief HFPLL, or tiny royer, for those frequencies, I'd say. =)

For reference, I've had a joule-thief-esque circuit running at a memorable 3.6MHz. Wind your inductor from very fine wire around a chip of ferrite or something or half a ferrite bead, not a whole one =P
Sulaiman
Mon Mar 13 2006, 11:28AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I have been considering an LC oscillator (variable + fixed capacitors)
along the lines of a regenerative radio receiver/tuned-base feedback oscillator.
A small aerial to the inductor, or a sample of the primary (or secondary) current
should be able to lock the oscillator - haven't got round to building it yet
but the Idea seems good.
HV Enthusiast
Mon Mar 13 2006, 12:24PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Just use a crystal oscillator. They are cheap and easy to use. You can also get ones that can be tuned slightly around its fo if needed.

Dr. Shark
Tue Mar 14 2006, 04:20PM
I think crystal oscillators are not tuneable enough for my application. I really like the tiny royer idea because you drive the gate directly and eliminate any losses from the gate capacitance. Together with Class E, this could give insane efficiencys. I am not sure if I have any diodes that work at 5MHz though. Is the 1N4148 common enough that I could salvage it from an old TV or so?
Steve Conner
Tue Mar 14 2006, 06:05PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yes, the 1N4148 is a very common diode. Even Maplin sell them suprised

The datasheet for the Philips 4046 is very confusing. I think they're mainly trying to hide the fact that the frequency and tuning characteristic vary a lot with supply voltage, temperature, and between different chips. That's not a problem when you use it in a self-tuning circuit like mine, but it makes the chip look cheap and nasty (which it is)

I think the idea of using a Colpitts or Harley oscillator is a good one and ought to be explored further, I just never got round to trying it frown

As for crystal oscillators: Richie Burnett used one to drive his Class-E SSTC. Even tunable crystal oscillators have too little range to do anything useful in the context of Tesla coil tuning, so you have to tune your coil to the crystal.
Dr. Shark
Wed Mar 15 2006, 07:47AM
Ah, finally I don't feel like an idiot anymore for spending hours trying to make sense of the CD4046. Cheap and nasty. Right!
I think I will try out the Hartley circuit, it seems a lot simple than using the Royer flyback circuit to resonate the gate capacitance, and the gate losses are only 10W or so anyway, so it's not worth the extra effort for me. I'll let you know how it goes.
kaboooom2000uk
Fri Mar 17 2006, 01:18AM
kaboooom2000uk Registered Member #324 Joined: Thu Mar 16 2006, 10:28PM
i got a simple circuit based upon opamps and a handfull of resistors and a few capacitors.

you will need a dual supply to run this circuit, +12 0v and -12, the beauty of this is that u can use the negative going pulse to discharge the gate of a FET or IGBT,

aternativley you can pass the (positive) signal through logic to clean up the signal and to go into a opto or a GDT driver, il post the circuit, if its unreadable i can email a copy if needed.

**link**
1142558336 324 FT4073 Inverter
Dr. Shark
Sat Mar 18 2006, 06:30PM
That circuit is a bit complicated for my taste. Actually I now went the simples route possible and used antenna feedback straight to the gate driver - basically Steve Wards Micro SSTC.

I don't seem to be able to get the proper Class E waveforms to appear though. Instead of the drain voltage decribing the positive half of a sinusoid as it should, it ramps up exponentially and only starts going down when the FET is turing on, causing massive losses. I am using pretty much exactly the component vaules Richie Burnett gives in his HF-SSTC schematic, and for the shunt capacitor I have tried values from 0-10nF.
I wonder what is wrong this time?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: