Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

ignition coil is now apart

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Shark
Mon Feb 20 2006, 11:52AM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
I wonder how an ignition coil secondary would perform if one had a suitable EE ferrite core to put in on and use it as a transformer and not as an inductor. This would probably work much better than hand-wound transformers. Can you check what wire gauge the secondary is? It would be nice to get a ballpark value on the obtainable continous output power before actually attempting to build something like that.
Marko
Mon Feb 20 2006, 01:15PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
I wonder how an ignition coil secondary would perform if one had a suitable EE ferrite core to put in on and use it as a transformer and not as an inductor.

Well it is a transformer already... confused

Putting ferrite core will help arcing but I dont know how beter is it for output as secondary aleready has thousands of turns and it is unneeded to increase magnetic flux.

And as secondary is oily its unpractical to put it on some kind of core.

Best operation is TC-like with sparkgap under oil, solid state driver or mot+sidacs is also good idea...

Dr. Shark
Mon Feb 20 2006, 01:55PM
Nah, its not really a transformer, its more like an inductor. You have to feed it with high dI/dt pulses and you get sparks from it, not arcs. I bet the output of an ingnition coil could be much more impressive if driven as a transformer, since peak current would be low, so the average current could be much higher (think I^2 R losses). How would you like 1000W 50kV continous arcs? smile
Problem would be to get a suitable core, though.
Marko
Mon Feb 20 2006, 02:10PM
Even when pulsed it operates like a low frequency (resonant) transformer.
I cannot be considered inductor in any way, it has primary and secondary also (that are just internally connected in one lead) and behaves completly like transformer.

In car it operates pulsing a capacitor that goes in resonance with primary (without it sparks are 1-2mm and barely visible). This gives a voltage rise (automobile ignition coil capacitors are rated 100V or more) and like transformer it is stepped up by turn ratio of coil.
Capacitor also saves contact from eroding but its actually not its primary duty.

If there is no capacitor 100V kick would discharge trough opening contacts and not charge capacitor, there is no resonance and energy is burned in contacts.

It can be also done very good driving it solid state, on low frequencies, or like tesla coil (actually the same as in car, just capacitor voltage is bigger and mechanical contact is substituted by spark gap or sidacs, tank cap must be large to keep frequency low)

Bad side is iron core that doesnt like high frequencies (we cannot get high wattage otu of it) at all and if we get rid of it lots of fun can be had with now air-cored secondary...
Dr. Shark
Mon Feb 20 2006, 08:18PM
Well, I guess it depends on your definition of transformer and inductor. It is somewhere in between since it has a bit of mutual inductance, but also lots of leakage inductance. Somewhere I read the term "transductor" describing this. Lets not argue over that.

I tried to take apart my ignition coil too (I am a copycat), but it seems that it is not filled with oil but with pitch. Now I think I have to boil it to get it apart - my girlfried is not going to be happy if I do that in our kitchen...
Dr. Shark
Mon Feb 20 2006, 08:59PM
After softening the tar with boiling water, I could get the coil out of its case and crumble off all the nasty stuff:
1140469096 75 FT386 Dscn4041

I am surprised how little coil there is inside this huge can. Well, it was a BMW can, so I suppose it's german efficiency smile
Marko
Mon Feb 20 2006, 09:10PM
yep good secondary, if youn can get rid of that tar you could do something with it...
Then put it under oil and run as tesla coil, to see how good job have germans done :)
Dr. Shark
Mon Feb 20 2006, 09:37PM
Yup, managed to get rid of the tar with some white spirit. Now the problem is, how to get out the iron core? I dont want to rip it out since it is also the terminal of the HV output, and I dont want to damage the winding.
1140471423 75 FT386 Dscn4042

I am surprised how thick gauge the secondary is, Im sure its good for lots of current, even though the resistance measures 5kOhm.
FaLLoUT
Thu Feb 23 2006, 09:32PM
FaLLoUT Registered Member #241 Joined: Thu Feb 23 2006, 09:13PM
joe doh thanks for the close image of clean windings what thickness is the secondary and if you can tell me primary too....
Marko
Thu Feb 23 2006, 09:50PM
This is the primary what is shown. Secondary is inside next to the core, and wire is thinner but not hair-thin or so like in HF flybacks and such.

And if I see correctly does that wire on left, on the core look like secondary?
Both wires should be acessible as other output is connected to primary too...
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: