All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SAQ Transmission - December 24th, 2007 - 0800 UTC

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Chris Russell
Thu Dec 20 2007, 01:00AM
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
Thank you, Bjoern, for an excellent example. Here is what is visible from my location -- your location should be able to see most of these signals. This capture was made at 11pm EST, about one month ago.

15 001100

15 001130

MSK signals are visible at 18.1kHz, (Russia), 19.6kHz (Anthorn, UK), 20.9kHz (Rosnay, France), 21.4kHz (Laualualei, Oahu, Hawaii), 22.1kHz (Skelton, UK), 22.7kHz (North West Cape, Australia -- a rare catch), 23.4kHz (Rhauderfehn, Germany -- almost obscured by the signal at 24kHz), 24kHz (Cutler, Maine -- appears so broad because it is the most powerful VLF transmitter in the world, and is less than 150 miles away), 25.2kHz (North Dakota, US), and 37.5kHz (Keflavik, Iceland). In order to have a fair shot at SAQ, you should be able to see some of these in the evening. During the day, nothing will be visible except perhaps the signal at 24kHz from Cutler -- that is strong enough to be received during daylight throughout the northeastern US.

I'm not sure what the pulsing carrier you see there is. It is probably local noise. At some point each night, the 21.4kHz signal from Hawaii switches to a long dash format, something like 15 seconds long with 5 seconds between dashes, but that is the only dashed signal I have ever seen on VLF.

The wandering carrier is fairly typical of an electric motor -- they radiate a lot of noise. The most common source for that sort of noise around here is a vacuum cleaner, though I have picked up similar noise from electric saws, as well as cars driving by. Some cars produce a surprising amount of alternator noise.
ShawnLG
Thu Dec 20 2007, 07:27AM
ShawnLG Registered Member #286 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 04:52AM
So thats what those MSK signals are. I can see several of them through out the spectrum.
7.25khz
18.3khz
21.4khz
23khz
24khz

"I' m not sure what the pulsing carrier you see there is. It is probably local noise."

They are not noize. The 23.74khz one shifts it's frequency down three dashes every few minuits.

There are many VLF stations out there and it could be one of them.

Link2

1198135632 286 FT35216 Vlf 23khz 2
Bjørn
Thu Dec 20 2007, 02:14PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
The pulsing carrier seems to be drifting a lot so it is not a proper transmitter. Even a RC oscillator would be a lot more stable. Looks like electric noise to me. Maybe a regulator of some sort.
Chris Russell
Thu Dec 20 2007, 06:05PM
Here are the spectrograms of more than two dozen VLF receivers, updated every ten minutes: Link2 . None of them are showing any similar signals. Closest thing is the Russian Alpha stations, but they are much lower in frequency and the pulses are not constant. If it is a VLF transmitter, it is an extremely short range one, with a curiously unstable signal. It's certainly possible, but I can't imagine what purpose it would serve.

At any rate, mysteries aside, if you are seeing the MSK signals, you're in a good position to be able to hear SAQ, so that's good news.
HV Enthusiast
Thu Dec 20 2007, 08:29PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
The thing is, you really need a very narrowband filter to properly isolate it from all the surrounding noise (if you are using a PC etc...)
Chris Russell
Fri Dec 21 2007, 03:10AM
To decode SAQ by ear, yes, a very narrow filter will be needed, as the band in this region is extremely noisy. 50Hz would be good, 30Hz would be better. Good results have been reported with 15Hz filters, but keep in mind that SAQ is powered by an RF alternator, so the frequency can drift a bit. Also, at 15Hz, you are pushing things close to the Nyquist limit... dots and dashes may start to run together a bit. Probably the best approach is to just capture the full 48kHz (or 44.1kHz) sampled audio, and try different filters at your leisure.

For visual decoding, a wide filter will suffice, since the FFT and your eyes do the work of a filter -- so long as you have selected an appropriate bin width. Your eyes will easily be able to pick SAQ out from the powerline harmonic that is 20Hz below, even if it is significantly stronger. Your ears probably won't be able to do that without the aid of a narrow filter.
Steve Conner
Fri Dec 21 2007, 04:20PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Spectrum Lab's own FFT filter worked great for me. I just set it to a few hundred Hz bandwidth and had it output the down-converted signal from my PC speakers.

My code is pretty rusty, but I made out the callsign and the word "Alexanderson." I can't remember if I posted a MP3 last time.

I've also demodulated AM radio using a similar setup with a VFO and Tayloe downconverter before the soundcard inputs. Speclab is a complete software-defined radio transceiver, though the user interface tries pretty hard to hide it. wink
ShawnLG
Mon Dec 24 2007, 07:56AM
ShawnLG Registered Member #286 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 04:52AM
It is 3AM and I see nothing. EMI is high tonight and the 4hv chat is not working for me.
Bjørn
Mon Dec 24 2007, 08:25AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
I did not get anything either that I can say for sure was not noise, thousands of people getting out of bed and turning on their appliances made it very messy.

The signal was received very well in Hungary.

1198484713 27 FT35216 Vlf Hu
Chris Russell
Mon Dec 24 2007, 09:08AM
I definitely received it, but I do not believe any of the code is copyable. I would not have received it at all, but by an amazing coincidence, there was a blackout from about 0750UTC until 0850UTC. I saved a raw dump of the soundcard output. I will try to clean it up and post it. For now, I've got to get to bed!
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: