All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

large spark to size ratio

Move Thread LAN_403
HvHaxor05
Fri Nov 16 2007, 08:06PM Print
HvHaxor05 Registered Member #1116 Joined: Tue Nov 13 2007, 02:11AM
im going to wind 12" on a 3.5" pvc form with 36G wire (yes i know its alot of winding)
the primary will be 90* with steel wire and a tap.
the powersupply will be a 7.5kv 30ma NST
the cap will be a 12"X6" salt water cap (glass)
sparkgap will be a multi gap
filters will be made
topload is to be experimented with
i attached a pic of my wanted setup
i will prob get very large spars from this coil
HvHaxor05
Fri Nov 16 2007, 08:08PM
Th
Tesladownunder
Sat Nov 17 2007, 01:07AM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
You will not get big sparks from this coil.

You should:
1 Use a copper, not steel primary.
2 Use a gauge of wire that allows around 1000 turns (36G may be too small, I think).
3 Have your gap across the transformer input (rather than capacitor).
4 Make a toroid from airconditioning ducting. Don't mount it as high as you have shown.
5 I'm not sure you understand what a salt water cap is. It is NOT glass plates 12x6 inches.
6 Use a spell checker, punctuation and capitalization. Regard it as practice for life when you have to communicate with people who can write properly (like teachers, employers etc)

TDU
HvHaxor05
Sat Nov 17 2007, 03:50AM
Tesladownunder wrote ...

You will not get big sparks from this coil.

You should:
1 Use a copper, not steel primary.
2 Use a gauge of wire that allows around 1000 turns (36G may be too small, I think).
3 Have your gap across the transformer input (rather than capacitor).
4 Make a toroid from airconditioning ducting. Don't mount it as high as you have shown.
5 I'm not sure you understand what a salt water cap is. It is NOT glass plates 12x6 inches.
6 Use a spell checker, punctuation and capitalization. Regard it as practice for life when you have to communicate with people who can write properly (like teachers, employers etc)

TDU
i replaced it with copper wire

this coil is an experimental coil so im going to stick with my 36g wire

i will move the gap

i got spun top loads from my other coils, and im nervous to mount lower because i don't want it to arc to my primary i made a hv filter for the nst (baced off Link2 (found on your site, witch i love) and a basic mains filter and ballast (pulls about 3A so i don't need a ballast but i cave a control box setup soooo)

i know what a salt water cap is mine is a glass jar that is 12" high and 6" wide filled with saltwater and covered in tinfoil tongue it works i have used it with other coils)
[color]

unfortunately after great depression i smoked alot of pot fucking up my spelling and shit
i have been clean for a year and tesla coils helped that

J. Aaron Holmes
Sat Nov 17 2007, 10:38PM
J. Aaron Holmes Registered Member #477 Joined: Tue Jun 20 2006, 11:51PM
Putting the toroid too high increases your risk of breakout and corona on the top windings of your secondary (which can ruin it pretty quick!). Putting the toroid too low will, I believe, effectively decouple the top windings of your secondary, making them ineffective and decreasing performance. So there is definitely a "sweet spot", but fortunately that also happens to be the best-looking location (aesthetically speaking) in most cases. For a small table-top coil like you seem to be building, I can't see putting the toroid more than a couple of inches above the secondary. Anything much more or less than this will hurt both the performance and appearance of your coil. After all, a toroid floating one foot over the top of your foot-long secondary will look...well...pretty dumb, IMHO.

Instead, work out a topload and breakout point configuration that encourages sparks to go upward and away from your primary. Perhaps controversially, I expect a sphere would be better for this than a toroid. On larger coils, spheres tend to become impractical for a variety of reasons. For small coils, tape a couple of cheapo metal mixing bowls together, stick a nail on top and call it done. Spheres naturally tend to direct the streamers upward. A breakout point (which will be required unless your sphere is undersized) will virtually guarantee this. I experimented with a variety of toploads on my first coil some years ago. It was 3.5" x 20". In the end, I found I could easily squeeze four-foot-long streamers out of it (more than twice the length of the secondary) by using a near-sphere made from two Ikea stainless mixing bowls. I also experimented quite a bit with coupling. The primary was a helical wound on a plastic bucket, and at one point I had the primary lowered almost halfway into the bucket, putting the top turn of the primary only about 12-15" from the topload. Still, the smoothness of the sphere prevented primary strikes, despite the nearly four-foot-long streamers coming off the top of it.

Have fun!

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE
Derek_L
Sat Nov 17 2007, 10:54PM
Derek_L Registered Member #1125 Joined: Fri Nov 16 2007, 09:13PM
Here is what he is talking about with the breakout at the secondary,

1195339882 1125 FT34342 Halloween 030

As you can see my coil is breaking out at the secondary.
My topload is also to small but I did that to have more breakouts as opposed to larger spark.
Hope this helps,
Derek L
HvHaxor05
Sun Nov 18 2007, 06:05AM
J. Aaron Holmes wrote ...

Putting the toroid too high increases your risk of breakout and corona on the top windings of your secondary (which can ruin it pretty quick!). Putting the toroid too low will, I believe, effectively decouple the top windings of your secondary, making them ineffective and decreasing performance. So there is definitely a "sweet spot", but fortunately that also happens to be the best-looking location (aesthetically speaking) in most cases. For a small table-top coil like you seem to be building, I can't see putting the toroid more than a couple of inches above the secondary. Anything much more or less than this will hurt both the performance and appearance of your coil. After all, a toroid floating one foot over the top of your foot-long secondary will look...well...pretty dumb, IMHO.

Instead, work out a topload and breakout point configuration that encourages sparks to go upward and away from your primary. Perhaps controversially, I expect a sphere would be better for this than a toroid. On larger coils, spheres tend to become impractical for a variety of reasons. For small coils, tape a couple of cheapo metal mixing bowls together, stick a nail on top and call it done. Spheres naturally tend to direct the streamers upward. A breakout point (which will be required unless your sphere is undersized) will virtually guarantee this. I experimented with a variety of toploads on my first coil some years ago. It was 3.5" x 20". In the end, I found I could easily squeeze four-foot-long streamers out of it (more than twice the length of the secondary) by using a near-sphere made from two Ikea stainless mixing bowls. I also experimented quite a bit with coupling. The primary was a helical wound on a plastic bucket, and at one point I had the primary lowered almost halfway into the bucket, putting the top turn of the primary only about 12-15" from the topload. Still, the smoothness of the sphere prevented primary strikes, despite the nearly four-foot-long streamers coming off the top of it.

Have fun!

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE

1 thanks for helping with a very long reply.
2 im not worried about appearance although if it docent hurt performance i will go the extra mile
3 i LOVE those sunglasses it brings out my inner "green" self

ok here is the topload
Th
i thought that winding a bunch of 28g wire around the topload support would help breakout but i also scored some clay from the ceramics room that i thought of putting around that

my breakout is going to be a VERY VERY VERY sharp peace of steel
if you still suggest a circular topload how big should i make it

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: