Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

48 Confirmed Kills

Move Thread LAN_403
Herr Zapp
Fri Nov 16 2007, 06:59AM
Herr Zapp Registered Member #480 Joined: Thu Jul 06 2006, 07:08PM
Based on the amount of damage to the phenolic disk, you may have also have toasted the motor bearings. Once the bearing balls and races get slightly pitted by internal arcing, the bearings will degrade rather quickly. They'll get real noisy before too much axial or radial play develops, so you should have plenty of warning before the rotor develops enough runout to crash the electrodes.

I'm considering a Nikon D40 for our knock-about lab camera. This camera will get constant daily use, mostly by people who are not photography-oriented, so ease-of-use and good autofocus & exposure control at macro distances are crucial.

Personally, I've used all-mechanical/all manual Nikon 35mm SLRs (F2 series) for the last 20+ years, but the convenience of digital imaging, and the unlimited image editing capability, have left my Nikons sitting idle most of the time. My 55mm and 105mm Micro Nikkor lenses provide extraordinary macro quality, but unless the images are going to be published, the digicams provide adequate quality for 99.9% of the everyday requirements.
Shan
Steve Conner
Fri Nov 16 2007, 11:44AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
If you want really good macro performance from a DSLR, you may need to buy a dedicated macro lens for it. The whole point of detachable lenses is that you can optimise each lens for a narrower range of operation and then swap them around, rather than needing to make a single lens that does it all but not very well.

I don't know if Peter actually took the macro shot with a DSLR, or whether he used a macro lens or extension tubes, or whether the lens that shipped with his D70 just had good macro. I seem to remember that some Sony digicams have pretty extreme macro mode on them.

I had a lot of mechanical Pentax kit that I bought used over the years, so I got a Pentax ist-DS DSLR and used the existing lenses with it. That doesn't work too well though, I found myself missing the auto focus and exposure.

BTW, hi Scott, I remember you from the TCML smile
Bjørn
Fri Nov 16 2007, 12:04PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
Autofocus with a dSLR at macro magnification is not a brilliant experience and in some cases completely hopeless. If it is possible to get very close to the object I suggest a point and shoot camera for people that are not experienced.

Tesladownunder
Fri Nov 16 2007, 02:36PM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
I looked at the exif data and date for the flying bullant photo. It was taken in 2005 with my old HP C812 4 megapixel digicam, not with a fancy DSLR macro. From 18.8cm (8 inches).

I can also do surprisingly good macros with my Ricoh Caplio R2 5MP digicam able to focus down to about 1cm.

For macro's of HV stuff you want to be further away hence my Nikon D70s with Sigma lens with the 1:1 macro at 40cm. I think Bjorn also has a Nikon D70s and similar macro lens.

My rotary spark gap is repaired and ready for a run. Look out for the new 5 pointed "Star of Tesla" within 24h. A TC like you've never seen it suprised

This Golden Orb spider is taken with the Nikon. Spider was big enough not to need a macro!

TDU
1195223209 10 FT34189 Spidergolden Orbfinger
Spedy
Fri Nov 16 2007, 03:41PM
Spedy Registered Member #964 Joined: Wed Aug 22 2007, 12:39AM
0o wow, thats a nice pic. I would probably get bitten by any spider I picked up w/ my hands, they seem to have a universal hate for me.

Can;t wait to see the "star of tesla"
Tom540
Fri Nov 16 2007, 04:38PM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
OMG that spider is huge and just like the ant I'm wondering how you aren't getting bitten by these things.
teravolt
Sat Nov 17 2007, 04:57AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
I am planing to get a D40x for 750$ or a D80 for 1350$. Dose anybody think the D80 is worth the extra cash. I plan to take picturs of tesla action, PCB's, macro shots and genral scenery
Bjørn
Sat Nov 17 2007, 05:54AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
See this thread for D40x vs D80: Link2

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: