Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

48 Confirmed Kills

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Tesladownunder
Wed Nov 14 2007, 12:39PM Print
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
At the start of hot weather flying ants love the shiny top of the toroid (well what do you expect of Queens?).

Most probably died acting as breakout points when they touched on my toroid.

7 of the confirmed kills landed on my plastic box sitting on the primary.

TDU

1195043742 10 FT0 Teslaflyingants

1195043742 10 FT0 Teslaflyingantsbox
Dr. Drone
Wed Nov 14 2007, 02:50PM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades

Tesladownunder
Wed Nov 14 2007, 03:06PM
Even the big ants fly here. These are normally fast aggressive and vigilant ants that will turn towards you with a threatning pose. Nasty sting too.
This one was more quiet and I took about 30 pics of this flying bullant with my free hand while it crawled around on my other hand It mostly wanted to go up so I kept changing the tilt on my hand. The posturing would have been worth a YouTube video in its own right.

TDU
1195052719 10 FT34189 Bullantfinger3
Herr Zapp
Wed Nov 14 2007, 04:46PM
Herr Zapp Registered Member #480 Joined: Thu Jul 06 2006, 07:08PM
Peter-

Very nice macro shot of the big ant; I assume that both that both the camera and the finger with the ant were unsupported during the shot?

May I ask what make & model camera was used?

(I'm shopping for a new digicam for use at work, and excellent macro performance is probably the single most important feature.)

Regards,
Scott Hanson
Dave Marshall
Wed Nov 14 2007, 09:58PM
Dave Marshall Registered Member #16 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:22PM
The world's most elaborate bug zapper...

TDU, when they got hit was there anything to indicate they got hit? I imagine with enough power, they'd do a nice job of creating a little cloud flaming debris that could give the impression of 'ball lightning'.

(Note: Any discussion in this thread about ball lightning being caused by bugs will be laughed at, and then deleted)

Shan, we've got a great many talented photographers on the board. A thread asking just such a question would probably give you the best participation.

Dave
teravolt
Thu Nov 15 2007, 04:06AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
your ant looks like Nothomyrmecia macrops or dinosaur ant or the bulldog ant, jack jumper. neat picture what part of austalia do you live
Tesladownunder
Thu Nov 15 2007, 07:24AM
Dave Marshall wrote ...
... was there anything to indicate they got hit?
I don't really think they got "hit" and it is unlikely for there to be sufficient resistance /power to burn a flying ant. No balls of fire. Most likely scenario is they are flying above the TC, the e-fields give neural disruption and they fall onto the toroid then act as a breakout point and die.

Shan wrote ...
I assume that both that both the camera and the finger with the ant were unsupported during the shot?
May I ask what make & model camera was used?
Much twisting and turning from both hands. In many shots the antennae were too blurred as they flick around a lot.

Think carefully before you buy a camera. A good proportion of my website success has been able to take long exposure, low light photos with a digital SLR. I could not have done many of my shots with my other point and shoot cameras. It's not just the pixels, in fact 90% of the time people only see less than a 1MP photo (camera is 6MP).
Without the manual exposure option I would not have been able to take 3 of my top 4 photos and this more than anything sets my site apart from others. I was fortunate enough to win it because things were changed thereafter and I would not have had the opportunities that I have had.
I would buy a DSLR second hand rather than a new point and shoot if the money was the same.
It's a Nikon D70s, but that's not important as it's the manual/long exposure option and better low light capability that matters to me. Tripod is essential and remote triggering is important.

teravolt wrote ...

your ant looks like Nothomyrmecia macrops or dinosaur ant or the bulldog ant, jack jumper. neat picture what part of austalia do you live
The Bullant (Myrmecia gratiosa) was identified by an entomologist. South-western WA.

Mates
Thu Nov 15 2007, 12:09PM
Mates Registered Member #1025 Joined: Sun Sept 23 2007, 07:53PM
I think that making a breakout point from a bug would turn it into ash! (even metal is beeing melted!). I think the important killing factors could be also the ozone, high temperature and maybe the UV light...

Despite it is probably the most unefficient insect killer I've seen I like it a lot smile
Tesladownunder
Thu Nov 15 2007, 12:27PM
There was no visible corona from the toroid as I had a 2 foot rod that was making sparks. Also only very short runs.
I forgot to connect my earth initially and the coil was functioning outwardly normally. I noted the primary to sec arcing and connected the earth but the coil remained "wrong" and was triggering my safety gaps which have never fired before. I took a few flying ant photos during this.
I tried a shorter lead to the earth, 2 earths, counterpoise plus earth before I realised that a sparks had occurred across my rotary gap and had carbon tracked deep into the phenolic disk.
The pic shows the damage.
I have now used an angle grinder to gouge out the carbonised area and a similar sized one on the other side for balance.
Fingers crossed.
I would have killed the lot if I left it running for any length of time.

TDU
1195129577 10 FT34189 Teslarsgburn
Spedy
Thu Nov 15 2007, 04:31PM
Spedy Registered Member #964 Joined: Wed Aug 22 2007, 12:39AM
>.< carbon tracking on your sparkgap? that stinks. Hope you can get it up an running again.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: