Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SSTC questions...

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Bauerb2
Mon Oct 29 2007, 09:17PM
Bauerb2 Registered Member #973 Joined: Tue Aug 28 2007, 07:32PM
ha. thats right, sorry about that. i read it wrong.. or something. cause i used a small black pipe for a small coil and it never worked right. so i then i wound one on a white pipe, same size, and it worked much better. i dont know....

thx anyways

Spedy
Mon Oct 29 2007, 11:26PM
Spedy Registered Member #964 Joined: Wed Aug 22 2007, 12:39AM
I'd guess most of the price went into the variac, 'cause I just priced the electronics and it only goes up to like $20. I haven;t found that 25v 2amp xformer yet, but I'm sure I'll score if I look around.
rp181
Mon Oct 29 2007, 11:27PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
wouldn't the magnet wire be enamel coated or some other? if so, why's it matter?
im new to tesla coils too =), was gonna post something just like this.
Bauerb2
Tue Oct 30 2007, 03:16AM
Bauerb2 Registered Member #973 Joined: Tue Aug 28 2007, 07:32PM
"Do not use black PVC as it contains carbon." from here Link2

wikipedia lies??? (of course) neutral whatever, i know nothing of chemistry and materials composition...

anyway, besides that....

The variac i bought was from eBay for $30. it is 10 amp @ 120V rated. The parts from futurlec cost about 40 or so. Maybe a little over $70, i have spent all together. My father brought home an XRAY control panel, complete with : a 6 amp variac, giant 50ohm resistors, and other goodies. i can use the variac as a permanent part of my sstc. Things will come up as you go along, i have found out. i am very new, but i know what im doing, so i'm learning as well.

My part count is a little higher than what Steve's SSTC circuit requires, so i spent a tad more on parts. I found at the Home Depot they sell 2 foot segments of white PVC pipe at different diameters of 2,3, and 4 inch. it was exactly what i needed.

just throwin' info out there i guess now... use what you need.

-Andrew
Spedy
Tue Oct 30 2007, 04:40AM
Spedy Registered Member #964 Joined: Wed Aug 22 2007, 12:39AM
Really? the prices must have gone down a bit, the most I'm seeing is $15 and a bit for what I can find from the schematic.

I wouldn't thing the carbon in black PVC would be a problem, it's locked in the chem. bond's I'm pretty sure. It's a different mixture of chemicals than white, thats all..

But some people get black-plastic woes when they try to use black/dark rubber bands in small VDGs. The minute coloring carbon in the bands shorts out the VDG.

Dang, where am I supposed to get that 25v 2a transformer? can;t find one anywhere... though I haven;t check ebay yet.. that's kinda last resort for me...

Where do you think I could find a variac?

Oh, and possibly the most important question of all, Is an oscilloscope required for tuning of the coil? I don;t have one or know anyone who has one..... >.<
Mates
Tue Oct 30 2007, 06:53AM
Mates Registered Member #1025 Joined: Sun Sept 23 2007, 07:53PM
Spedy wrote ...

Oh, and possibly the most important question of all, Is an oscilloscope required for tuning of the coil? I don;t have one or know anyone who has one..... >.<

To try to build a sstc without osciloscope is like to be blind - if is not working, you will never know what's wrong...
BTW: there is X-mass soon - an osciloscope could be a nice present from your parents wink
Zum Beispiel
Tue Oct 30 2007, 09:58AM
Zum Beispiel Registered Member #514 Joined: Sun Feb 11 2007, 12:27AM
For a single switch design a scope is not really needed. The MicroSSTC circuit is so simple that it simply works or doesn't work if something is wrong. I found it to be extremely easy to get oscillating reliably.

Now, if you use a bridge to drive your resonator, and use a GDT, a scope comes in handy when checking the drive signals. A scope is also needed if you go Class-E or something more complex, but these are a bit too hard for first projects.

HV Enthusiast
Tue Oct 30 2007, 10:40AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Spedy wrote ...

Before I go and save up for parts for a SSTC, I want a couple of questions answered.

How do you implement a feedback antenna?

Hi Spedy,

I would recommend not using a feedback antenna, but rather use a current transformer to sample current instead. Its much easier and you don't have to worry about positioning the antenna etc...

Digikey.com sells inexpensive CST-106A (for example) current transformers that work for small SSTCs up to very large DRSSTCs that switch hundreds of amps of current. They are about $6.00 each. You can also wind your own if you are so inclined.

Dr. Dark Current
Tue Oct 30 2007, 03:28PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
EastVoltResearch wrote ...

I would recommend not using a feedback antenna, but rather use a current transformer to sample current instead. Its much easier and you don't have to worry about positioning the antenna etc...
I had exactly opposite experiences. When I was using a CT the coil's performance would greatly depend on the CT construction, the way it is hooked up to the control electronics etc. It also did not allow me to draw ground arcs from my TC, it would either stop oscillating and/or the thing would explode with a loud bang.

When I replaced the CT with an antenna I had no more problems, after a few tweaks it was very reliable and even allowed gound arcs without flying silicon smile
Ken M.
Tue Oct 30 2007, 04:08PM
Ken M. Registered Member #618 Joined: Sat Mar 31 2007, 04:15AM
Hey Jmartis, would you be able to post a pic of how close your antenna is setup etc for your coil, cuz when I put my TC onto a wood stand (crudely made) and using the antenna method, the antenna would arc towards the torroid, then when I adjusted the antenna to be a bit further way, it stopped the arcs but proceded to blow up the fets.
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: