Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Mini Fused Salt Cell... Finally?

Move Thread LAN_403
Chris
Fri Oct 19 2007, 09:53AM Print
Chris Registered Member #8 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:34AM
Here is my latest endeavor, with which I hope to electrolyze either eutetic NaCl/CaCl2 or LiCl. NaNO3 or LiNO3 (Darling Process) are another possibility. It looks almost halfways promising so far. I was almost able to finish the thing this weekend but I didn't quite have time and I didn't have a good way to vent out or otherwise dispose of the chlorine gas. Now it will probably be at least a few weeks before I can get home and work on it more.

1192787626 8 FT0 Hpim1391 1192787626 8 FT0 Hpim1388

1192787626 8 FT0 Hpim1392

The cell body is made from one of those 16oz propane canisters cut roughly in half. It is relatively thick steel. That will be suspended by bolts running through the firebrick on either side of the setup. I still need to braze a wire across the thing in the other direction to hang the stainless steel screen that will divide the cell in half. Both electrodes are held in a graphite block by a set screw, and surrounded by a tube made of fused quartz.

On the left is the graphite anode. A small hole in the top of the graphite block is to be connected to the chlorine vent tube. The fused quartz tube around the anode is held in by a set screw, which will no doubt need tightened as the cell warms up, and then loosened again before it can be allowed to cool down. There isn't anything more to the anode assembly really.

On the right is the cathode assembly, a little more complex. The cathode itself is a hollow stainless steel tube with a couple holes drilled in it above the cell liquid level so sodium can go inside it. The fused quartz tube around the cathode is sealed into the graphite block with boric oxide. It seemed to have no real problems with contraction when this assembly was cooled from something like 500C where I cast the boric oxide in down to room temperature. Nothing cracked, anyhow. The top of the tube and the graphite block will operate at a much lower temperature than the cell, and much lower than the melting point of boric oxide, because stainless steel is a poor thermal conductor and most of the outer tube will be filled with argon gas. Since the top of the assembly should be air tight, the sodium should not be able to rise higher than the hole where it enters the cathode itself. Obviously if the sodium did rise up into the top of the assembly it would reduce the boric oxide and screw everything up. The cathode has an outlet there above the graphite block, where it empties into a heated oil filled jar, which is in turn connected to a liquid filled tube with a valve at the bottom. That tube will be used to provide suction on the cathode tube until the piping is all primed with sodium, so it can run out into the collection jar under gravity. Obviously this will take some care since if any salt is sucked up into the tubing it will freeze and clog the thing. The cell will be rather well surrounded by refractory ceramic and firebrick to get it up to 600C. It is fired with propylene gas and the electrolysis runs on a large battery charger. Due to the rather small, distant, and otherwise inefficient electrode placing, I expect the full 12V of the battery charger will be dropped across the cell, and even then it will probably need additional heat from the torch. So far my major concerns are how well the thing will hold together under more temperature cycling, and how quickly liquid sodium might dissolve the brazed joints used here and there in the cathode assembly.
1192787626 8 FT0 Hpim1391

1192787626 8 FT0 Hpim1388

1192787626 8 FT0 Hpim1392
Fri Oct 19 2007, 02:33PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
wow amazed

I hope it works!

Eric
Fri Oct 19 2007, 10:31PM
Eric Registered Member #69 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 07:42AM
Wow that's great, can't wait to hear if it works out.

You probably already know this but only a little escaped chlorine gas will rapidly corrode every steel object in the room. Especially tools like that drill press there. Been there done that...
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sat Oct 20 2007, 12:11AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
This is great. I hope you're still planning on reducing Potassium too.
Chris
Sat Oct 20 2007, 12:16AM
Chris Registered Member #8 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:34AM
Yes, I have found out the hard way already about corrosive gases acting upon tools. It has plagued me since I began chemistry.
thermite
Sun Feb 17 2008, 11:58PM
thermite Banned on 02/27/2008
Registered Member #1326 Joined: Sun Feb 17 2008, 11:19PM
You will have terrible problems.

(1) chlorine is very corrosive.

(2) sodium ATOMS will dissolve into the salt and create short circuit current and loss by diffusing everywhere including to the anode.

Electrolysis of sodium chloride is a secret process of many companies - sorry to say that - and they dont share the information. If you are truly interested, you need a serious study of literature, write your findings in a monograph and submit for analysis for the second revision because the evil ones put a lot of lies of falsehoods in the publications.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: