Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Just a little inductive kick shock generator UPDATED

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Spedy
Sun Sept 30 2007, 09:15PM Print
Spedy Registered Member #964 Joined: Wed Aug 22 2007, 12:39AM
I'm not sure if this actually counts as high voltage, the output is around 360v. I basically took apart a junk-drawer wall-wart
to get the x-former inside, and installed a push-button switch and battery holder. These connected in series with the primary side of the xformer (fewest turns) and used the other coil in the xformer (the part that plugs into the wall) for the output. I wish I had a better case for it besides the flimsy Tupperware container. Here it is.

Basically you hold the two output prongs in one hand so that they aren’t touching each other, and press the momentary button for a shock. :)

Here’s some pictures in this order: The whole thing, Some insides, The output leads.

1191186754 964 FT0 P9300022

1191186754 964 FT0 P9300023

1191186754 964 FT0 P9300024

**UPDATE**
Ok, so I modified the old one with a buzzer relay like jmartis suggested. It is like 10 fold more powerful, judging bu my little sister's reaction (she tests all my shock-machines, including my large leyden jars.) I'm going to build a capacitor bank out of flash caps that this will plug into if I ever feel like putting black marks on doornobs or vaporizing some Al foil. :)

Here are some pictures and a schematic for anyone who wants to replicate it. :) sorry, STILL no project box. I've gotta get one of those some time...
I would have gotten inside pictures if I hadn't hot-glued everything down first, I can only open it up enough to replace
batteries.:)
1193535742 964 FT0 Pa270011

1193535742 964 FT0 Relay Shocker

**UPDATE II**

Dang! I think I may have burned out the secondary or something.. Oh well. I'm going to radioshack today to pick up some new parts, Including a new xformer to use and a wall-wort for the one my little sister wants me to build. Maybe I'll have enough left over for that project box...

Blah.. new one doesn't even work.. so much for this project...
CT2
Mon Oct 01 2007, 05:35AM
CT2 Registered Member #180 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:12AM
Haha thats good, you gotta hide it in something though, so that the people don't know they are going to get shocked. I once took a camera flash circuit (minus the cap) and put it in an altoids box, the lid and base were connected to the outputs and there was a mercury tilt switch attached to the lid. So when someone grabs the case and opens it... haha little shock.
Dalus
Mon Oct 01 2007, 10:21AM
Dalus Registered Member #639 Joined: Wed Apr 11 2007, 09:09PM
Nice one I used to built these things to shock a whole class at my school. Just ask them to hold hands :P
Sulaiman
Mon Oct 01 2007, 01:01PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Ha Ha ... that's precisely what I used to do at school forty years ago.

Batteries and small transformers are such fun.

Nice to know that schoolboy pranks haven't changed too much. cheesey
Dr. Dark Current
Mon Oct 01 2007, 01:59PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
hehe, I also made something like this some years ago, for better effect the transformer was driven by a self-oscillating relay wink
Spedy
Mon Oct 01 2007, 11:22PM
A relay?!? that's a fantastic idea. I have a couple of relays lying around, (old robotics projects), but I'm entirely sure how to wire the dang thing for self-oscillation. :) I wish I had some project boxes laying around, Those cheap o Tupperware containers stink. My folks don;t have enough spare money to go out and get one anyway (at the moment)
Shaun
Tue Oct 02 2007, 12:21AM
Shaun Registered Member #690 Joined: Tue May 08 2007, 03:47AM
My friends and I used to collect grill ignitors and make "tazers" out of them. Now have a camera flash charger in a tic-tac box to shock people with. I never thought to use a wall-wart winding as sort of an iggy coil set up, though...
Spedy
Tue Oct 02 2007, 01:35AM
Shaun wrote ...

My friends and I used to collect grill ignitors and make "tazers" out of them. Now have a camera flash charger in a tic-tac box to shock people with. I never thought to use a wall-wart winding as sort of an iggy coil set up, though...

Heh, I found the idea on instructables.com. Link2
Lots of Camera Tazers, coilguns, capacitor bank chargers, and a bunch of other moderately powerful electrical apparatus. One of these days I'm going to put up an iggy setup how to if someone doesn't beat me too it.
CT2
Tue Oct 02 2007, 01:48AM
CT2 Registered Member #180 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:12AM
For the relay one, you need a relay thats normally closed (NC) and you wire it so that current flows through the contacts and then through the magnetic coil, so then as soon as current flows it activates the relay and opens it, but then there is no current and it closes again... and so on and so on.
Spedy
Tue Oct 02 2007, 03:39AM
CT2 wrote ...

For the relay one, you need a relay thats normally closed (NC) and you wire it so that current flows through the contacts and then through the magnetic coil, so then as soon as current flows it activates the relay and opens it, but then there is no current and it closes again... and so on and so on.

Um, that makes sense but I guess I'll have to find out which pin is which on my relay :P
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: