All today's birthdays', congrats!
BlakFyre (36)
SENTRY (31)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Paralleling Gate drivers?

Move Thread LAN_403
Kolas
Sun Sept 30 2007, 08:01AM Print
Kolas Registered Member #102 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:15PM
Hi guys.
It's been quite some time since I posted on the site... been busy.
I'm trying to drive a full bridge of some fairly large To-247 IGBT's and I roasted a few UCCx732x's before I realized what is happening.
The gate charge for one of my IGBT's is 405nC as listed in the data sheet.
Using the equation P=Qg*V*F I've found that I need about 5W to drive this full bridge at 200khz. Since most of this power has to be dissipated inside the gate driver, it's obvious a pair of UCC's cant provide this amount of power. (at least not the P package)

I'm trying to work with free parts here. I know there are a few TO-220 package drivers that are quite capable of delivering this much power...

So. finally to the question.
What would be the best way to parallel UCC's to get a rating that is suitable?
I've seen stacking, but this seems like it would further lower the heat dissipation the chip can handle.
So can I put the chips side by side and clamp a heat sink atop them to help apease the overheating that is going to be unavoidable?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
Kolas
Marko
Sun Sept 30 2007, 09:28AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
For CW drive, I would sample some of those TO-220 packaged UC3710's. They do a great job dissipating heat large amounts of heat.

30nF after all isn't so-much-big, and with appropriate series resistor a single UCC would probably work well too, although it would run a bit hot. You must note that most of this power anyway will be lost in a resistor, not the driver itself.

In DRSSTC's some people paralleled UCC's simply by stacking them atop each other, so you shouldn't have problems with that as long as you take care for cooling.

Steve Conner
Sun Sept 30 2007, 12:28PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
In audiophile circles, there is a fad for paralleling TDA1541 digital-to-analog converters right now. They run hot. I once saw a guy make a tower of them soldered together, the same way as people here stack DIP-packaged UCCs, but with copper fins wedged in between with thermal grease.

Or, the UCC drivers come in a SMD package that has an exposed metal chip header (called a "Powerpad") that you can bodge onto a heatsink somehow. This allows it to dissipate a lot more than the DIP version.
Kolas
Sun Sept 30 2007, 12:40PM
Yes i've read the smallest package UCCX732X can disipate upwards of 3 watts per unit. however with pin spacing of .65mm I cannot work with them.

The T-package UC3710 slipped my mind; I forgot that I had a pack of them coming already. Since each of those can dissipate 25W I will use them. Thanks for you guy's input.

Kolas
thedatastream
Sun Sept 30 2007, 08:49PM
thedatastream Registered Member #505 Joined: Sun Nov 19 2006, 06:42PM
Well those audiophools will do anything!

Yes your calculations show a required power of 5W, but where is that power dissipated? The UCC drivers should be quite efficient at transferring power from input to output due to their low internal impedance. The series resistor in the gate line sounds like it will dissipate a lot of power, the high peak currents will cause some I^2.R losses and the rest will just be current returned to the power supply.

So really, I wouldn't have thought that your UCCs would be dissipating 5W. I have a feeling that you would know about it if they were!
Kolas
Mon Oct 01 2007, 03:59AM
well I do know, they constantly ran extremely hot, and the uccxxxx2's always burned out first. however the simpleton setup i used included NO gate resistors. Therefore most of the power was infact being dissipated by the gate drivers them selves.
ragnar
Mon Oct 01 2007, 12:13PM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
The UCC37322s burn out first because the positive output is usually longer than the negative output, given a 50% duty cycle. Compare the outputs of UCC37321 and UCC37322 for the same input signal, at 2MHz or so, and you'll know what I mean.

I think I documented this pretty well in a thread about UCCs running at 17MHz. Note also that the P-channel MOSFET that pulls the load positive has a higher resistance than the N-channel MOSFET that pulls it to ground again, so there's more dissipation in that half.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: