All today's birthdays', congrats!
BlakFyre (36)
SENTRY (31)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

It's time for an SSTC

first  6 7 8 9
Move Thread LAN_403
uzzors2k
Wed Oct 24 2007, 07:33PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
This might be a bit far-fetched, but since no one else has answered I'll dare to speculate.

For some reason lower frequency coils give longer sparks than higher frequency coils for the same power input. I don't why, but it seems to be the norm. This would explain the better spark output since the topload would lower the TC frequency.

The reason a larger topload doesn't improve the spark size further is the increased capacitance. Energy stored in a capacitor is a function of voltage and capacitance. Higher capacitance means more energy per volt. With the same energy and more capacitance, the voltage will have to decrease.

I can't explain the increased power draw though. Maybe more power was being radiated into the environment around the TC with the larger topload, and there was therefor less to be "used" for sparks. This sort of explains the arcing too, as the spark is only a portion of the energy put in. Think of florescent tubes lighting from a distance for example.
Dr. Dark Current
Wed Oct 24 2007, 08:06PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
I don't know, but this just came to my head- couldn't the larger toroid act as an one big shorted turn eating the power away?
Zum Beispiel
Wed Oct 24 2007, 08:23PM
Zum Beispiel Registered Member #514 Joined: Sun Feb 11 2007, 12:27AM
jmartis wrote ...

I don't know, but this just came to my head- couldn't the larger toroid act as an one big shorted turn eating the power away?
Yes, but so would the smaller one. Of cource a larger toroid would have higher resistance but I doubt it would make that much of a difference.
Dr. Dark Current
Fri Oct 26 2007, 04:49PM
I've solved many electrical mysteries in my circuits before, but this one is really hard.

I'm now running the TC in a way that it's fed with halfwave mains input and an interruptor that turns it on as the mains reaches peak value (the idea was to get the same spark length with 1/2 input power).

The first mystery is that one of my fets was getting much hotter than the other. I thought I had defective gate driver, so I replaced them both. It was still the same.

To find out where the problem was, I swapped polarity of TC primary leads and gdt primary leads (to have the feedback polarity right).
The discharge made a really funny noise, but there was HF output on the gate drivers at the resonant freq.

I put one scope probe around 1m from the topload to see the RF envelope and unlike before, I saw a HUGE negative spike on each interruptor pulse. I think this even damaged my scope dead . (Update: my scope isn't damaged, one hard hit on the side repaired it. It's some 50 years old so I think it absolutely has the right to have a bad solder joint, especially considering what abuse it has survived so far!)

I would be grateful for any ideas. Why one of my FETs runs hotter? Why changing the polarity of primary and GDT did change the output so much? Why the HUGE spike? (it was showing up on my scope really hard even with all probes unplugged!)

It's also possible that the problem lies in my old breadboard, but I doubt that.

Thanks for any help!
Firnagzen
Sat Oct 27 2007, 04:30AM
Firnagzen Registered Member #567 Joined: Tue Mar 06 2007, 10:55AM
Just hazarding a guess- I'm by no means an expert- maybe one FET heats up more because it has a slightly higher resistance. They can't make every FET exactly the same, so maybe some defect in that one makes it heat up more?

Ps. Why shouldn't you mix up deuterium and tritium? The only difference is that tritium is radioactive, right?
Dr. Dark Current
Sat Oct 27 2007, 08:30AM
Firnagzen wrote ...

Just hazarding a guess- I'm by no means an expert- maybe one FET heats up more because it has a slightly higher resistance. They can't make every FET exactly the same, so maybe some defect in that one makes it heat up more?

Ps. Why shouldn't you mix up deuterium and tritium? The only difference is that tritium is radioactive, right?
Well, it is possible that one FET has higher resistance, but I doubt it. I'll try to swap them and see what happens.

P.S maybe you didn't get the point, it's a quote from an article on heavy water, just how many people are there who have deuterium and tritium in their closet? cheesey
Firnagzen
Sat Oct 27 2007, 08:38AM
Firnagzen Registered Member #567 Joined: Tue Mar 06 2007, 10:55AM
I wouldn't know how common either is. I've never tried obtaining 'em, have I?

By the way, if you suspect a loose solder joint in your o-scope, perhaps you should fix it? Just a suggestion.
first  6 7 8 9

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: