All today's birthdays', congrats!
BlakFyre (36)
SENTRY (31)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

It's time for an SSTC

first  6 7 8 9 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ken M.
Tue Oct 16 2007, 07:51PM
Ken M. Registered Member #618 Joined: Sat Mar 31 2007, 04:15AM
IF by "tightly couple" you mean, how close can you make the primary and secondary? As I said before I have them ontop of each other.
1192564293 618 FT31895 Sd530532

1192564293 618 FT31895 Sd530533

How ever if you mean "tightly couple" as in magnetic coupling to increase mutual inductance I don't think too much considering the skori coil I have, has a gap of about 1/2" and another1-11/2" down the pvc pipe and I still get some primary to secondary arcing through the insulation.
Dr. Dark Current
Sat Oct 20 2007, 11:44AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
OK, as I now got it working reliably, I wanted to draw some arcs. It didn't blow a FET as before, but as the streamers start hitting the ground electrode, they become very thin sparks. Why is this?
Ken M.
Sat Oct 20 2007, 12:15PM
Thin? Mine get thik as hell almost MOT style just really long, the only time when i got small sparks was when I had it set to think spark pulses flyback style.
Dr. Dark Current
Sat Oct 20 2007, 01:49PM
WhiteArc wrote ...

Thin? Mine get thik as hell almost MOT style just really long, the only time when i got small sparks was when I had it set to think spark pulses flyback style.
Are you using CT or antenna? I'm now running halfwave CW with start-up osc and CT with a circuit I posted before.

Here's a video with ground sparks, they get almost invisible!
]1192888198_152_FT31895_pict0185sparks.avi[/file]
Tom540
Sat Oct 20 2007, 06:28PM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
It Looks like you're detuning the coil whe you bring the ground closer.
Steve Ward
Sat Oct 20 2007, 07:12PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
This is in fact the main problem with using feedback from the secondary circuit. When you ground out the circuit, it tends to either 1) simply disturb the oscillations, and cause a minor "hiccup" in operation, or 2) completely destroy the self-sustained oscillation, and the SSTC stops once the spark connects with ground (instead of pumping more power in, so you get the nice flaming ground strikes).

Antenna feedback seemed slightly better for ground arcs, but it seemed to depend on a few factors, which i never quite figured out (since i left that route awhile back). Some of my SSTCs would work great for ground arcs, and others would make the "thin" weak sparks because oscillation would cease. It never really seemed too detrimental to the MOSFETS, but it was annoying. Any time i tried using CT feedback (without aid of PLL) this was the exact problem i had, so that is why i never posted any CT feedback SSTCs on my site.

Ken M.
Sat Oct 20 2007, 08:19PM
Hmm I guess that would make the difference, I was refering to antenna feedback since I have yet to rebuild it with CT feedback. Although From the skori coil the arc stays the same and its ct feedbak...
Zum Beispiel
Sat Oct 20 2007, 08:44PM
Zum Beispiel Registered Member #514 Joined: Sun Feb 11 2007, 12:27AM
When I play with the arcs I use an ungrounded chicken stick to draw arcs. I have a small toroid on the end of the stick and a sharp metal point pointing away from it.

Like this:

=========0----

== insulator
0 toroid
---- sharp metal thingy.

I get some very hot arcs this way
Dr. Dark Current
Sun Oct 21 2007, 08:20PM
Well, I changed the resistor in series with CT back to 10k (I was using 4k7). I got a nice arc to ground and one dead FET as a bonus.

I'm going to rebuild it, I'll trash the CT and use an antenna probably.

Can anyone advise what SSTC self-tuning driver is the most reliable and allows ground arcs without flying silicon? PLL maybe?
Dr. Dark Current
Tue Oct 23 2007, 01:56PM
I noticed one weird thing.. With no topload, sparks are small and power draw is low. With small topload, sparks got almost 2x big and the input power too.
Now I made a new bigger toroid, put it on- the sparks are still the same (maybe even little shorter) but the power draw is really large, probably 1.5x as much as with the small topload!
Where did the power go? I didn't notice any huge dissipation in the fets. Is there something I still don't understand, such as power factor? (I measured the input power "visually" by watching a large bulb in series).

On the same topic, I also noticed that (at very low power) drawing an arc from the topload results in very noticable input power decrease, while I think the heat generated by the ~1" hot arc is at least few times larger than the heat from the little ~1/2" purple discharge alone...
first  6 7 8 9 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: