All today's birthdays', congrats!
BlakFyre (36)
SENTRY (31)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SSTC questions

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Bauerb2
Mon Oct 01 2007, 09:52PM
Bauerb2 Registered Member #973 Joined: Tue Aug 28 2007, 07:32PM
while working on my own sstc i felt the gate drivers to get rather hot. i fixed this by adding two electrolyte 22uF caps in series, negatives terminals soldered together, with all this in parralell with a 100nF ceramic cap. this is in series with the tc4429 output. i see on the schem you have that there is one 4.7uF in series. it might be worth a try to try my idea (taken from this site Link2 )

its worth a try, it made my rise/fall times much quicker. (@ 380kHz sec)

-pz --Andrew
Dago
Mon Oct 01 2007, 10:48PM
Dago Registered Member #538 Joined: Sun Feb 18 2007, 08:33PM
huben Panev wrote ...

So hire are the traces. They are the gate - source signals. The top one is with 2 ICs (like on the schematic) and the bottom one is with 4 ICs (2 in paralel). The scope is set to 0.5 micro seconds/div and 10V/div. So what do you think about them ???
1191262254 931 FT31805 Pic 4347

1191262254 931 FT31805 Pic 4346

What kind of decoupling do you have for the gate drive chips? It is absolutely essential to have atleast something like a 100nF ceramic and a 10-40µF tantalum OR low esr electrolytic cap as near as possible to the Vcc and GND pins of the gatedrive chips to achieve fast risetimes. The chips do get hot, mine get too hot to touch comfortably without some airflow at 50% duty cycle.
CT2
Tue Oct 02 2007, 01:57AM
CT2 Registered Member #180 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:12AM
Yeah as stated previously your gate drive chips will get hot. You need caps on the supply pins (as close as possible). I use a 15uF tantalum and a bigger electrolytic as close as I can get them to the chips and then a 1uF ceramic practically on the pins, even still they run hot. So I had these little heat sinks that fit perfectly on the chip so I just slopped some thermal grease on the chip and stuck the heat sink on. With even a little air flow they run warm but not too hot.
1191290138 180 FT31805 Dsc 0015

The tantalum is hidden under the heat sink.

About the phase/frequency relationship... well I don't even own a scope so I've never looked at what my PLL is doing, so can't help there.
Dr. H.
Tue Oct 02 2007, 05:43AM
Dr. H. Registered Member #931 Joined: Mon Jul 30 2007, 05:25PM
Thanks for the replys guys. smile I've copied the circuit with no changes, so for decoupling on the drive chips i have only one 4.7uF and it is electrolitic rolleyes . Today i will add some tantalum and ceramic condensers. For the decouplink i use 3uF (on the picture of the board the 3 yellow caps put side by side. Are this good ?

Bauerb2 - thenks for the idea. I will trye this too. Is there any chance that the waveform looks like this due to the ferite core (it is NOT the yellow one from ATX. Also could this be due to too much windings on the GTD (15 primary and 2x15 secondary )

CT2 - very nice design, i too may trie something like that smile
Marko
Tue Oct 02 2007, 10:01AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
On the core you are using you won't need to use more than few turns for 450kHz. See this Link2

Your drivers are also inherently a bit slow. I would use UCC's whenever I could.
Dr. H.
Tue Oct 02 2007, 10:12AM
Hi Marko, yes the ICs are slower than the UCCs but i can't find to buy them hire in Bulgaria, so i have no choice cry

Also in the schematic it is shown to use 16 !!! turns. I also thought that they are too much but after all i winded 15. Hire are the new scope pictures after some changes that the other guys suggested. If you think that i need to change the number of turns i will make it smile

The top picture is with 2 ICs and the bottom is with 4 (two in paralel ). Shoud i use 4 or could stick to 2 ???
1191319942 931 FT31805 Pic 4350

1191319942 931 FT31805 Pic 4349
Bauerb2
Tue Oct 02 2007, 11:08AM
as far as fall/rise times go in both of those waveforms, i think you'll be fine with two. the rise times are a 'little' sluggish by my view of the 2 IC waveform, but if you could, when you start up your coil at low power, try first with 2 then with 4 to see which one performs better. that's what i'd do.
Dr. H.
Tue Oct 02 2007, 11:26AM
Should i try reducing the number of windings on the gtd ? How this will change the waveform ?
Bauerb2
Tue Oct 02 2007, 07:59PM
as you add more turns to the gdt, the waveform starts to look more like a sine wave rather than a square wave. less turns, as i just tested right now (6 turns) , shows the waveform has lost structure and looks like small 6V rounded pulses on the scope. the driver IC's heated up incredibly (burnt my finger) in seconds. this was tested with 2 tc4420's with halfbridge irfp460's and then tested again with a full bridge of 460's. each mosfet has a 10 ohm gate resistor.

it seems i am having some insane trouble with my gdt, i can never get a clean signal. it could be the fact im trying to drive a full bridge with one gdt with one primary, and only 2 driver ic (6 amp each). hehe perhaps, but i dont have 2 similar toroid inductors to use... oh well

wish you luck

-andrew
Dr. H.
Tue Oct 02 2007, 10:04PM
Hi Bauerb2 i actually tried reducing the winding on the gdt. I am now using only 7 turns (compared to the initial 15) and the waveform become litle bit better and the driver chips are running cooler, much cooler than before. I also reduced the gtd decoupling capacitor to 470nF and that improved the waveform further (strangely, any one for explanation ??? ) Tommorow morning i will post the scope traces )
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: