Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Soft Starting

Move Thread LAN_403
Shaun
Wed Sept 19 2007, 02:48AM Print
Shaun Registered Member #690 Joined: Tue May 08 2007, 03:47AM
I'm working on a soft-start circuit for my DRSSTC so I can free myself from the last truly weighty component, the variac. I saw an IRFP260-based starter by Steve Ward, only I think it is only meant for SSTCs. I also thought about Steve Connor's solid state variac, but I would like something a little less complex so you can just turn it on and leave it alone (and so it can be mounted in the coil base with the other electronics).

I googled this first and found some schematics for motor drivers and big audio amps, some based on power resistors angry , the rest on some combination of SCRs, Triacs, diodes, etc. cheesey (I have 8 TO-220 20A 600V SCRs to play with). Will any of these be suitable for a DRSSTC (~0.5-1 kW)?
Or does anyone have a schematic that they have used and know to be good for this application?
Bennem
Wed Sept 19 2007, 05:51AM
Bennem Registered Member #154 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:28PM
Hi Shaun,
i have built Steve Connor's DRSSTC solid state variac circuit
to operate my DRSSTC's....it works fine. i highly reccomend the circuit.
I have built it as a seperate 'box' from the base of the coil
but you could easily incorporate it into the base as Steve does
and operate it from your intterupter box, however if you do it that way and you happen to
unplug your intterupter (ie disconnect the pot to the SS variac) it tends to
send the variac to full mains voltage....thats one reason i built it as a separate box,
plus i operate other coils from it too.

1190181035 154 FT31590 Dscf0050
Steve Conner
Wed Sept 19 2007, 12:28PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Hi guys,

Yeah, I found out the "full power when unplugged" thing the hard way recently :( I need to change this circuit so it has a proper soft-start at power on, even with the voltage control knob up full or disconnected.

I do indeed have it mounted in the coil base and remotely controlled by a 0-15V DC voltage from the interrupter box.

Marko made a simpler SCR controller, but it can't be remote controlled like I described (the main reason why mine is complex)
Terry Fritz
Wed Sept 19 2007, 12:28PM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Hi,

I just used a resistor and a few switches:

Link2

In the stop position S1 is open. S2 either charges the main caps through the resistor or discharges the caps. So it also force discharges the buss too.

To run it, you put S2 in the charge position, wait a moment and then put S1 in the run position. To turn in off, put S1 in the stop position and then put S2 in the discharge position.

Link2

Cheers,

Terry

Shaun
Wed Sept 19 2007, 10:20PM
wrote ...
Marko made a simpler SCR controller...

Actually this is exactly what I was looking for. I don't need to be able to control it, as the interrupter will be enough control for me. I just want to be able to switch on the coil (and soft-start circuit) at the coil base and use the interrupter from there. Does anyone know the schematic for this controller?
Shaun
Fri Sept 21 2007, 03:58AM
Sorry for the double post, but I was just going over the soft-start thing in my head and I was wondering if you even need to soft-start (or variac) the coil anyway.

I'm using a half-bridge with 120VAC in, so the way I figure it, first each capacitor charges to about 170V thru the diodes, and then the two are alternatively switched thru the MMC/Primary by each IGBT. So if I am using the interrupter, aren't I abruptly applying full voltage to the IGBTs many times per second anyway?

Or is the soft-start not to protect the silicon but to keep you from blowing a breaker during the initial charging of the filter caps? If that is true, then I definitely won't need it because I have charged these caps by themselves off of rectified mains without popping any breakers.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Steve Conner
Fri Sept 21 2007, 02:57PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
You are correct, the soft start is only to prevent blowing breakers and fuses.

The schematic you wanted is on the forum somewhere.
Marko
Sat Sept 22 2007, 09:40AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Simplest thing you can do is to use a PTC in series with your supply. It needs some time to cool so it isn't for fast power cycling but otherwise it should do the job. Use more than one in series/parallel depending on your wishes.

Apart from that, I would also recommend Steve's SSV for more serious approach. With it you could get rid of the variac for good.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: