Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Help, problems on SSTC - Low Side -> High Side

Move Thread LAN_403
MRacerxdl
Thu Sept 13 2007, 10:36PM Print
MRacerxdl Registered Member #989 Joined: Sat Sept 08 2007, 02:15AM
Hi all, I have found some mosfets here (K2049 ones) and I resolved to make a good SSTC.

I search for some time on the internet schematics of SSTC's and one friend mine have maded one long time ago.

The basic schematic is here:
Link2

I have followed a part of the schematic. I made some changes, and I used MJE13007 as the IRF950. I made some changes too on the driver, because I have 2 NPN BJT, my driver has one inverted output (totaly 2 outputs, one invert from other) with perfect Square Wave.

My Schematics is there : (The Q1(C) is 12V)
Link2

Ok steps I have made:

First I test the Low Side Circuit, I plugged all, and for test I put one 20W speaker on place of GDT Primary, Turn On, and All is working, the Speaker is Jumping (Too much :P, if some time more, its burn out).

Second I Plug the GDT Primary on the Low Side. And on one out of GDT I Put the Speaker again. But now the sound is very low, and the Speaker doesnt Jump as before, Too Low, I think 1V max.
What I did make wrong?

The Primary of GDT have 2 Turns of Wire 14, and Secondaries have 6 Turns Each, of the same wire.

What is recommended for that?

Thx..

Dr. H.
Tue Sept 18 2007, 07:25PM
Dr. H. Registered Member #931 Joined: Mon Jul 30 2007, 05:25PM
I am not the biggest expert but ... only 2 turns on the primary of the gate drive transformer ?? Isn't it saturating therefor not able to transer enough energi to te speaker/gates ?
Experimentonomen
Tue Sept 18 2007, 07:35PM
Experimentonomen Registered Member #941 Joined: Sun Aug 05 2007, 10:09AM
GDT should be about 16 turns trifilar, preferablu with the three windings twisted together before winding onto the core.
MRacerxdl
Tue Sept 18 2007, 08:54PM
Ok, I will try twist three wires self, and get it on the Toroid with 16 Turns

thx for now :)
CT2
Tue Sept 18 2007, 09:19PM
CT2 Registered Member #180 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:12AM
Yeah, like they said you need more turns, this depends on your GDT material and also the frequency your running at. A good starting spot (for most SSTC anyways) would be around 12-16 turns or so. This site has alot of great info on GDT so have a read through Link.
MRacerxdl
Wed Sept 19 2007, 05:26PM
Thx all! Now it works, Now its 18 Turns of wire com PC Network cable, 2 pairs twisted it self.

Totally I have 4 wires, Some places I see the proportion needs to be 1:1:1 other I see 1:2:2. What is the correct?

I made 2 pairs, because if I want a 1:1:1 I use only one pair more one wire (three wires total), for 1:2:2 I get one pair together (As paralel) and other 2 wires I get to the exit (The wires in Paralel get half resistance and the secondaries get double of voltage :D).

Now with 18 Turns, of wire, if I put the speaker on the exit of the toroid, I get the same effect if its on the place of primary.

I was see to an error on my circuit (not in the schematics, on the monted version), I have made some mistakes, I putted the Capacitor one pin to the Source of Mosfet 1, and other to the ground, and the Primary as on the middle of Two mosfets (Source of Mosfet 1, and Drain of Mosfet 2). I am correcting now, I hope it works :)
Dr. H.
Wed Sept 19 2007, 06:50PM
Dr. H. Registered Member #931 Joined: Mon Jul 30 2007, 05:25PM
If you use 1:2:2 then you will have a step-up transformer and when you feed it with 12v you will have 24 at the end. This will be more than the maximum gate-source voltage therefore damaging your MOSFETs. People use 1:2:2 when they want faster switching and less heat but that is dangerous for the devices (i have seen to use it when they are driving IGBTs). . Sorry about my english i am from Bulgaria

Edit: I am sorry didn't see at the first that it is a half bridge rolleyes
uzzors2k
Wed Sept 19 2007, 07:24PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
You'll need a 1:2:2 ratio if you use the driver you posted above. Link2 This is because the voltage is halved when using a totem pole/ half-bridge. Remember that the 12V has to swing an equal amount negative too, meaning +/- 6V, 12Vp-p (pv-p?). Using a 1:1:1 ratio and 24V would be best.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: