All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

QRSS Beacon Test

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Dave Marshall
Sun Sept 09 2007, 03:50PM Print
Dave Marshall Registered Member #16 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:22PM
This is a tentative announcement. Specific times and frequencies will follow shortly.

Chris Russell will be visiting my home in Georgia later this month, and we'll be doing an HF QRSS beacon test on Saturday, September 22nd. Tentative start time is 16Z.

There will definitely be a transmitter at 10.140Mhz. At this point we're hoping to have atleast one other transmitter in operation on a different band.

The 30m beacon will be transmitting from a half wave dipole at considerable height. We may turn it into an inverted V for some omni-directional work, or we may leave it as is, oriented east and west for greater distance to the west coast and Europe. That will largely depend on who expresses interest.

If you are interested, but are lacking a receiver, drop me a line and we'll see what we can work out. Unfortunately, because this broadcast will be originating from my location, there won't be a streaming receiver like there was last time (unless somebody with an extra linux PC and an okish HF receiver wants to volunteer).

Dave
Steve Conner
Sun Sept 09 2007, 03:58PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I'm up for it! Not that I'll be able to receive anything, but who knows. :|
ShawnLG
Mon Sept 10 2007, 10:45PM
ShawnLG Registered Member #286 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 04:52AM
I am ready for 10.140Mhz.

"Unfortunately, because this broadcast will be originating from my location, there won't be a streaming receiver like there was last time (unless somebody with an extra linux PC and an okish HF receiver wants to volunteer)."

I would volunteer but I do not have linux. Can it be done on XP?
Chris Russell
Tue Sept 11 2007, 12:27AM
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
Actually, yes, XP should work. We've been using icecast to redistribute the stream to a number of people, which is compatable with shoutcast. If you can get shoutcast running, and you have enough bandwidth to constantly upload a 24kbps (or so) stream to 4hv, 4hv can then serve the stream to a large number of people.
ShawnLG
Tue Sept 11 2007, 02:20AM
I got Shoutcast running but my Firewall is blocking it. I am connected through a linksys wireless router. How do I get pass it's firewall?
Steve Conner
Tue Sept 11 2007, 09:03AM
You need to use the configuration tool in your firewall (often a special web page hosted on the unit) to unblock the appropriate ports. See the shoutcast documentation for which ports.

If you want to try connecting your shoutcast to the 4hv server as Chris suggested, you should probably discuss it with Chris by PM or in the chatroom. He can give you the configuration info you need. Connecting to the server should work without any changes to your firewall, as most firewalls only block incoming packets, and you would be going out in this case.

I'm going on a MTB trip that Saturday, but I should be home by 1700Z.
Chris Russell
Sun Sept 16 2007, 02:10AM
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
Everything seems to be on track! Anyone who is interested in actually trying to receive, please let me know. The orientation of the antenna will depend on who expresses interest.

For those who don't have a radio, but would still like to try receiving, ShawnLG has kindly offered to stream his receiver's output. Speclab or Argo will be quite capable of recovering the transmission from the stream, if ShawnLG is receiving the beacon.

For anyone else who is interested, but doesn't want to get into the radio or dsp aspects of it, Steve Conner has offered to set up an automatic screencap gallery, so you can see if the signal is making it to Scotland. Dave and I will also make captures of ShawnLG's stream available.
ShawnLG
Sun Sept 16 2007, 07:55PM
SpecLab has the ability to monitor the left or the right stereo channels. I can setup Shoutcast to send reception from both recievers when Chris and Dave have a second beacon up and running. You would need to go into your audio setting and null out one or the other channels to receive one of the beacons.
Sulaiman
Tue Sept 18 2007, 03:00AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I'm hoping to receive my M3 (foundation) licence in a day or two,
and a Radio Shack DX-390 receiver I won on ebay should arrive any day now.
I've just put up a simple aerial (13.5 meters of 1mm2 about 3.75 meters in the air) aligned North-South
I'd like to try receiving the beacon but there are a lot of variables;
- I'm inexperienced
- is the DX-390 suitable/capable?
- is the aerial any good?
- should I quickly make an ATU and/or pre-amplifier?
- any way I can test my setup before Saturday?
- am I too far away to hope for a signal?
- I've got Spectran installed but don't know how to optimize the settings for this test

My location is Walsall England,
any (helpful) comments urgently requested.
Steve Conner
Tue Sept 18 2007, 09:50AM
Yay Sulaiman, that's cool, congratulations on your license!

There are loads of variables, but don't worry, most of them are outwith your control because it's just a case of whether the propagation decides to work.

You can test your setup by seeing if you can tune in any other ham stations. Listen for callsigns and try to figure out where in the world they are: if you can hear other American stations, you may hear Chris.

10MHz is mostly CW, so if you don't know Morse code, try the upper end of the 14MHz band, above roughly 14.250. You should hear plenty of folks yakking away on (upper) sideband up there. You can also try the 3.5MHz band, you should hear plenty of UK amateur stations after dark. But this doesn't really predict how your setup will perform on 10MHz.

If the noise level in the receiver on your band of interest increases when you plug the aerial in, it's probably good enough for initial attempts. An ATU can help, but you can often get by receiving without one. They sure come in handy when you're trying to transmit though! :o

Speaking of noise, check that you don't have any bad noise sources in your shack. In my house, it's the kitchen lights. They are halogen lights running off electronic transformers that blot out all of the HF bands completely! I swear the ones in the ceiling even generate noise up to 2m. My shack is in the kitchen, but I got used to operating in the dark after a while wink

I've never received any of Chris's beacon transmissions so far :( I have a HF rig, so I should probably do a similar beacon for the UK and Europe one day.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: