All today's birthdays', congrats!
Shaun (34)
Spedy (30)

Next birthdays
05/01 Shaun (34)
05/01 Spedy (30)
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

12ft Tesla coil: Get yours NOW!!

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Mwahahaha
Wed Aug 15 2007, 04:53AM
Mwahahaha Registered Member #955 Joined: Wed Aug 15 2007, 04:28AM
ShawnLG wrote ...

OMG! He used over half of the spool! LOL. 5lb of #28 is 9945 ft. of wire.

Link2

"oh dear! What a waste..."
Think of the time he wasted winding that 12ft coil.

To be more specific I used 95% of that roll of wire and it took me 4 days to finish it.

GreySoul wrote ...

...hrm... I couldnt resist... I had to contact the seller and ask what was up.

I offered him $10 for the coil, NST, and stand...

Maybe I'll get lucky and win big!

In case you wondering
NO SALE
(by the way you offered me $5)

[Edit: No double posting]
Dr. Slack
Wed Aug 15 2007, 07:11AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Well, you have to admire his balls for showing up.

Hi Mwahahaha, a couple of questions, as I'm intrigued.

Given that you obviously picked up enough info (from the net presumably) to know about the components, how come you settled on the 12ft x 6inch design for the secondary, when a little more digging on any reputable source, Pupman, here, or using any sort of TC calculator, gives an aspect ratio of like 4 (+/-1) :1 and around 1000 turns as being a good place to start?

Why give up now after all that effort? If you are short of good caps, then beer bottle caps are free and will get you going (OK, drinking all that beer is a tedious rotten job, but somebody has to do it!)

If your only crime is devoting money and building time before having done enough homework, then hey, we're all been sinners at some time, me particularly. Stick around, ask some questions. Maybe buy some 942s, maybe empty some bottles. Cut the secondary into several pieces, unwind one back to 24" and sell the others (there's no way anybody will buy 12ft, but they might buy a 3ft ready wound secondary, even if the wire is a bit thinner and the number of turns a bit higher than ideal). You may get your TC going after all.

<preach> Show an ability to learn and I've no doubt that the laughter will stop. This is a great forum for rational members who do their homework </preach>
Tom540
Wed Aug 15 2007, 03:31PM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
LOL I was going to post this auction here the other day.
GreySoul
Wed Aug 15 2007, 05:10PM
GreySoul Registered Member #546 Joined: Fri Feb 23 2007, 11:43PM
I doubt he'll be back. it's probably just a scam. I bet he's in cahoots with the Info Horribly Limited guy.

Oh, and yeah, I offered $5 for the coil, $10 was for the shipping :P my bad...

take $20 for everything?

[edit]

I see he added this disclaimer:

ebay wrote ...
On Aug-14-07 at 21:06:25 PDT, seller added the following information:

This secondary is not guarenteed [sic] to produce 20+ foot streamers. With 11,500 turns it should be able to though.

hey, with enough input power just about anything is possible....

But I still don't think you'd get anything out of it as presented (10 turn helical primary, no cap!, 10.5KV NST). And a 20' arc? Really? I've seen HUGE coils that can throw a 20' arc running at 15+ KVA, but they were still 5:1 and maybe 1200 turns of really heavy gauge wire... this is just junk on a pipe. Even the suggestion that a 20' streamer is possible with this coil borders on fraudulent, and is at the very least misinformed.

The guy might have better luck if he tried to sell it as an antenna.... or a sewer pipe.

*shrug* this is fun :)

-Doug again
Mwahahaha
Wed Aug 15 2007, 08:48PM
GreySoul wrote ...

I doubt he'll be back. it's probably just a scam. I bet he's in cahoots with the Info Horribly Limited guy.

Oh, and yeah, I offered $5 for the coil, $10 was for the shipping :P my bad...

take $20 for everything?

[edit]

I see he added this disclaimer:

ebay wrote ...
On Aug-14-07 at 21:06:25 PDT, seller added the following information:

This secondary is not guarenteed [sic] to produce 20+ foot streamers. With 11,500 turns it should be able to though.

hey, with enough input power just about anything is possible....

But I still don't think you'd get anything out of it as presented (10 turn helical primary, no cap!, 10.5KV NST). And a 20' arc? Really? I've seen HUGE coils that can throw a 20' arc running at 15+ KVA, but they were still 5:1 and maybe 1200 turns of really heavy gauge wire... this is just junk on a pipe. Even the suggestion that a 20' streamer is possible with this coil borders on fraudulent, and is at the very least misinformed.

The guy might have better luck if he tried to sell it as an antenna.... or a sewer pipe.

*shrug* this is fun :)

-Doug again

How does $1300 sound?
Experimentonomen
Wed Aug 15 2007, 09:44PM
Experimentonomen Registered Member #941 Joined: Sun Aug 05 2007, 10:09AM
Mwahahaha, give it up, this stuff is NOT worth 1300$, an NST can be found at a fleamarket for maybe 10$, the secondary coil form can be had for free by dumpsterdiving, wire can be had for free too, otherwise it cost maybe 10-50$ and caps for an mmc can be had for as low as 10$ on ebay. Add all this together and you end at maybe a few hundred bucks as max, but nowhere near your 1300$, unless your NST is brand new which i highly doubt.

I also guess your secondary isent even coated in any laquer/varnish, meaning the turns will collapse over each other by expansion from changing temperature. your best off cutting your 12ft secondary down to several smaller ones like 15-20 inches long. as it is now the wire resistance will overcome the voltage produced and greatly reduce streamer lenght.
GreySoul
Wed Aug 15 2007, 09:49PM
$1300 sounds like you need to seriously reconsider the value of your labor.

The pipe and wire MIGHT be worth $20 to someone if they needed the pipe OR the wire, and were going to toss the other. Your labor isn't of any value in that case.

The copper is probably worth $5-6 to a recycler.

As 5 smaller coils it may be worth $50-80 each, but the ebay market is already saturated with 6" pre-wound coils. that already includes the labor.

The ellipsoid topload is worth maybe $10 - it's clearly 2 bowls attached to each other... or is it something else? in any case, a toroid would be preferable. Again, labor might be worth an extra $5-10 to someone... but a nice spun aluminum toroid is where people with money go for their top loads.

The base is really not all that impressive. It looks decently well built, and I apologize for my dissing on it';s construction... but it's worth maybe $50 in wood and part, and .... maybe took an hour or two to build.... I'd say maybe get $75 for it, if someone wants to buy rather than build.

the primary coil is only worth somethign if it's tuned to the coil you're selling... and even then it's worth maybe $20.

The Neon Sign Transformer, at 10.5KV and not knowing it's design or power rating it close to worthless.

if it's a 90ma old style NST you can probably get $40-60 at a hamfest if it's in good shape, maybe a little more on ebay if you get the right day and buyer.

If it's a brand new iron core NST it's worth a bit more...

If it's a high frequency modern NST with circuit protection built in it's worthless for coil use.

Whatever capacitor you have is not clear - if it's a beer bottle cap it's hard to value - the beer inside is gone....And you can't really demand payment for drinking the beer....Still, I'd probably pay $100 for a well built working bottle cap demo unit (no, I don't need one, thanks everyone)

if it's a well built MMC then it could be worth $100-200 or maybe more if it's a large well made MMC.

...so honestly, since you seem a little more legitimate than the average fly-by-night scammer... you've come back, that says a lot to me...

Why do you think that coil is worth so much, or why are you asking so much if you know it's not?

-Doug
Shaun
Wed Aug 15 2007, 10:06PM
Shaun Registered Member #690 Joined: Tue May 08 2007, 03:47AM
It's only worth as much as somebody is willing to pay for it; in this case I thinks that's, what, $5-20? lol but seriously you should scrap the base+topload and just cut up the secondary and either use the pieces or sell them.

Trust me, the people on this forum know EXACTLY what they are talking about.
GreySoul
Wed Aug 15 2007, 11:48PM
Shaun wrote ...

Trust me, the people on this forum know EXACTLY what they are talking about.

I refute your accusation and suggest that 7 + 12 = 9

Mwahahaha
Thu Aug 16 2007, 01:38AM
HFsstc-freak wrote ...

Mwahahaha, give it up, this stuff is NOT worth 1300$, an NST can be found at a fleamarket for maybe 10$, the secondary coil form can be had for free by dumpsterdiving, wire can be had for free too, otherwise it cost maybe 10-50$ and caps for an mmc can be had for as low as 10$ on ebay. Add all this together and you end at maybe a few hundred bucks as max, but nowhere near your 1300$, unless your NST is brand new which i highly doubt.

I also guess your secondary isent even coated in any laquer/varnish, meaning the turns will collapse over each other by expansion from changing temperature. your best off cutting your 12ft secondary down to several smaller ones like 15-20 inches long. as it is now the wire resistance will overcome the voltage produced and greatly reduce streamer lenght.

Its is coated with several layers of varnish
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: