All today's birthdays', congrats!
Shaun (34)
Spedy (30)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Safety gap is firing like crazy

Move Thread LAN_403
Kristian
Sat Aug 11 2007, 11:33PM Print
Kristian Registered Member #611 Joined: Wed Mar 28 2007, 11:40PM
I made a modification to my spark gap to get better quenching. The arc length from break out increased by 4 inches, from 32" to 36". Now my safety gap is firing like mad. It will start firing after about 20 seconds at full power and then continue to fire every few seconds after that. I disconnected the main gap and hooked the transformers directly to it to make sure it isn't too wide and it checked out fine. Then I did the same with the safety gap to make sure it wasn't too narrow and that checked out fine. I've tried moving the tap around to see if maybe the coils were out of tune but that doesn't seem to be the problem either. I don't know what else to check. Does anyone have any suggestions? Here's the project thread with all the coil specs - Link2
sparky
Sun Aug 12 2007, 01:35AM
sparky Registered Member #530 Joined: Sat Feb 17 2007, 07:56AM
I noticed I got the same thing when I had my spark gap pull out a bit. What causes the safety gap to fire is higher than normal voltages present in your discharge gap...this in turn causes your transformers to see higher than normal voltages too. A 15kV NST can see 20 kV peak during discharge...too far out and your caps could very likely blow. I'd put your spark gap closer together and run a blast of cool air through it... and you'll get MUCH better quenching.
Kristian
Mon Aug 13 2007, 06:22PM
Kristian Registered Member #611 Joined: Wed Mar 28 2007, 11:40PM
I spent all day yesterday messing with the gaps, checking and rechecking the measurements, cleaning the electrodes and testing each of them.They were set just fine. The main gap is set to .24" total spacing (I measured it 5 times) and it fires at about 112 volts on the variac with just the NSTs connected. The safety gap is set to .28" and it just fires at full power on the variac (140 volts).

So I was thinking maybe the fan I was using might be the problem. I replaced it with a vacuum cleaner motor and drilled some holes in the coupler to force the air to flow in between the electrodes. Link2 I hooked it up and holy cow, what a difference. The arc length increased by 6 inches. The safety still fires every once in a while but no where near as often as it was.

I took some video of a 38 inch strike from break out point to grounded target.
Link2
sparky
Tue Aug 14 2007, 01:02AM
sparky Registered Member #530 Joined: Sat Feb 17 2007, 07:56AM
Well, you solved that problem. Every system has its bugs to work out and setting a spark gap too wide can be nasty, especially on your caps. When everything is in tune the safety gap barely fires at all! Sounds like it was just an issue with the quencing...

Your video looks great!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: