Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Vandegraff Generator

Move Thread LAN_403
cbfull
Tue Feb 28 2006, 01:34PM
cbfull Registered Member #187 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:54PM
A coulple things to watch out for if you decide to build a VDG:

Belts that are very elastic will severely limit how fast you can run the belt. They have a terrible tendency to come off the rollers, possibly causing damage to other parts. They also tend to oscillate inside the column, sometimes to the point of slapping which can create a grabbing effect.

As long as you have means of controlling the motor speed, you can avoid these problems by just slowing the motor down. Vacuum cleaner motors run ridiculously fast compared to induction motors.

Good luck!
vasil
Tue Feb 28 2006, 05:17PM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
If you use a collector electric motor, put it in an enclosure. The fine carbon powder from the carbon brushes can affect the dielectric properties of the belt.
ChemTechLabs
Fri Mar 03 2006, 05:16AM
ChemTechLabs Registered Member #98 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:53PM
well i'm most likely going to be using some kind of a rubber belt (any suggestions where i can get one for either cheap or free? cheesey ) and I WILL have a fan switch or some kind of acceleration control dial on it just in case a vacuum cleaner motor is in fact too powerful.
Desmogod
Fri Mar 03 2006, 07:56AM
Desmogod Registered Member #139 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 11:01AM
See if you can get hold of some theraband from a physio for the belt.
Might be a bit thin though.
Part Scavenger
Tue Mar 07 2006, 02:34AM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
Tips:

The faster the motor the better until you hit 5000 rpm IIRC from a book("Lightning Bolt Generators" - Lindsay publications). I used a belt sander as one pulley, the middle part of a bicycle wheel (pull out all the spokes, best top pulley around I know of). I used the liner out of the wheel for the belt and later part of the innertube, it worked pretty well. If I did it all over again, I'd find something a little less rubbery. Maybe a piece of treadmill? Work hard or your brushes, they were the limiting factor in the one I made. I read somewhere about someone using a "sprayer" to seed the VDG. This was a HV device that sprayed ions onto belt to be picked up at the top. Maybe then it doesn't classify as a VDG? Still neat though.

EDIT=> Another thought about a belt. See if you can get your local firestation to give you some old hose. There's a rubber liner inside that might work well, especially if you kept the canvas stuff on one side. Just a thought. We throw hose away all the time in the FD I am a part of. You can get it in many sizes too.
Vaxian
Wed Apr 11 2007, 11:46AM
Vaxian Registered Member #635 Joined: Tue Apr 10 2007, 01:56AM
All very good information.

I have considered building a VDG for a while, this is all helpful to me also

Thganks, will keep reading this thread
cbfull
Wed Apr 11 2007, 05:26PM
cbfull Registered Member #187 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:54PM
I can help you to solve some of the problems you will/might encounter if you like. I am "refurbishing" mine right now, but the basement is getting finished in a month or two so I can't get into any of my bigger projects at the moment.

For the belt, it will likely be easier if you make your own. There are two kinds of home-spliced (glued) belts that I am aware of that give excellent results. They both come from the same supplier, which is McMaster.com.

One of them is called "Vinyl-Laminated Nylon Fabric" (the thinnest), and the other is called "Coated Nylon Fabric" (also the thinnest). The nylon mesh backbone is very, very strong in both materials and will allow you to tighten your belt and crank up the speed (but not until it is ready!!!). The polymer coating is needed to keep the combs from neutralizing the charged roller, which is why your rollers cannot be the same material as the belt surface!

Hope this helps with your belt dilemma.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: