Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Vandegraff Generator

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
ChemTechLabs
Fri Feb 10 2006, 07:53AM Print
ChemTechLabs Registered Member #98 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:53PM
As i'm currently becoming interested with High Voltage things !lol , I thought that a good first project would be a Vandegraff generator. I'm thinking of using 1 or dual vacuum cleaner motors for the TYPE of motor, and possibly something very large and round such as a globe with a layer of Aluminum Tape on the inside and out for the sphere on top. Does anybody have any suggestions for what other kinds of materials may be more effective for either the motor, sphere, or belt? Or just any helpful suggestions at all would be appreciated.
Carbon_Rod
Fri Feb 10 2006, 08:03AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
I have seen the Mini demo:
Rubber band + glass fuse + hobby drive + Pop can + PVC pipe...

And the huge spun brass spheres with plexi and teflon parts...

What voltages or diameter are you thinking about?
:D
Dr. Shark
Fri Feb 10 2006, 09:44AM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Unless you are very good at building mechanical things, I would not suggest a VDG as a first HV project. If you have got just a tiny bit of electronics experience, there are lots of easier ways to get some sparks.
For the VDG you could use IKEA salad bowls for the sphere (at least everyone seems to to that), and an exercise belt thingie you get from fitness shops. A vacuum cleaner motor seems a bit overkill for first experimentation, you will need a sound mechanical structure for that. I'd rather suggest a power drill for that.

However, the usual frist HV project would be a Flyback transformer from an old TV or monitor, that can very easily be driven with two MOSFET transistors and a handfull of passive components.
HV Enthusiast
Fri Feb 10 2006, 12:53PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
wrote ...

Unless you are very good at building mechanical things, I would not suggest a VDG as a first HV project. If you have got just a tiny bit of electronics experience, there are lots of easier ways to get some sparks.

Thats not true at all. Building a VDG is extremely easy. A small motor, several rubber bands, and a toilet bowl float is usually enough for beginners.

And as always, www.sciencefirst.com of NY sells VDG parts for anything you can think of. Just go their website and download some of the VDG manuals. In the back of the manuals, they have the parts lists. So you can get very nice belts, pulleys, motors, 14" and 16" aluminum spheres (oblates), etc... So those hard to find or make parts can be purchased here. At the least, i would recommend the belt they sell.

Dan
Michael W.
Fri Feb 10 2006, 03:26PM
Michael W. Registered Member #50 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:07AM
The problem with a VDG is you need a motor with a large amount of torc and kick to get the belt moving unless you want to start it by hand....Thats where the Vacuum motor comes in.
Marko
Fri Feb 10 2006, 03:29PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Just use standard DC or AC motor big enough.
Some reductors are good idea too if they are implemented in motor..
FaLLoUT
Thu Feb 23 2006, 09:37PM
FaLLoUT Registered Member #241 Joined: Thu Feb 23 2006, 09:13PM
im trying to build a wimshursts machine which is much easier to maintain and build VDG are hard to maintain...i think u should build a wimshursts machine first and it will function as good as VDG
Omicron
Sun Feb 26 2006, 07:15PM
Omicron Registered Member #131 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 09:25PM
start with some thing safe and work your way up!
vasil
Sun Feb 26 2006, 07:44PM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
Build a Bonetti machine, it is simple and it has much more current capability, because the used surface of the discs is not limited at the metalic sectors. Yes, it is not self starting as a Whimshurst, but this can resolved easily using a PVC pipe, electrised by friction, put near the disc, opposite to the neutraliser, while you turn the crank.
Kolas
Mon Feb 27 2006, 05:50AM
Kolas Registered Member #102 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:15PM
wow VDG- dangeous!!!?

heh unless you charge a large cap bank with one, i think its damn near impossible to be killed by a small VDG.
assuming it's not outputing over 100kv. (which is hard to accomplish such voltages(due to insualtion)
at those votlages, even a small topload could contain enouph joulege to hurt someone
never the less, use a grounded chicken stick to discharge it be fore touching and all that saftey stuff

but since most people get around 30kV
i think a VDG is a great place to start

kolas
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: