All today's birthdays', congrats!
Shaun (34)
Spedy (30)

Next birthdays
05/01 Shaun (34)
05/01 Spedy (30)
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

6" Tesla Coil school project

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
sparky
Fri Aug 10 2007, 04:36PM Print
sparky Registered Member #530 Joined: Sat Feb 17 2007, 07:56AM
Well, I am happy to announce that the school I work for has given the green light for an "advanced" educational project involving an elite group of students. I'm pumped! Really! Naturally the power supply unit will be locked out as it is a dual PT set run in parallel for 6-7 kW. I'll send photos when I get my camera battery recharged.... and hopefully I can do a test at 1600 watts tonight using my NST bank. ....might have to go with a slightly lower power NST due to the breaker tripping! I have a 12kV 100 mA unit that should do the trick...
If this happens I'll be uploading some video to the website... I hope you don't mind ;)

So I did a quick calculation of the inducatance
-secondary - 87.7 mH (30" wound with 27 AWG)
-Primary - turn 4 tap = 6.7 uH (1/2" tubing - 12 turns total with an 2.2" spacing)
-coupling coefficent = .112

sparky
Sun Aug 12 2007, 05:41AM
Tesla Coil got fired up today using a 12kV 100mA NST w/ .032 uF cap. Okay I wasn't using much of a topload but the coil did produce some decent sized sparks from only having number 10 turn tapped...

Enjoy the video:
]1186897277_530_FT29693_dscn0841.avi[/file]
sparky
Sun Aug 12 2007, 04:48PM
sorry about the double posts

UPDATE
Here is a movie + photo of a 56" strike from a doorknob topload while the primary was tapped at turn 12 using the same NST bank as above (1.2kVA).
]1186937310_530_FT29693_dscn0477a.avi[/file]
1186937310 530 FT29693 Dscn0477a
Myke
Sun Aug 12 2007, 04:59PM
Myke Registered Member #540 Joined: Mon Feb 19 2007, 07:49PM
Oh noes. In the first video it really looks like streamers are coming out of the top windings on the secondary.
Marko
Sun Aug 12 2007, 05:10PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Sparky you look scary in the first video. suprised

Definitely put a large topload on that coil. Although it already looks awesome...
sparky
Sun Aug 12 2007, 05:54PM
I put some corona dope (high strength epoxy) on the upper turns and that cured the breakouts.
Tesladownunder
Mon Aug 13 2007, 09:26AM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
Not wishing to rain on your parade or whatever expression you use in Canada, but have you considered liability issues?

I personally would be unwilling to do this sort of HV project with noobs, elite or not. The potential for disaster is low but consequences potentially catastrophic.
You must at a minimum, notify the student's parents and your school liability insurers and get written assurance from all of them that they will be involved with open unprotected high voltage of high lethality run by non-electricians. It needs to be clearly spelled out including the risk of death with contact. Even then, that will be unlikely to cover your liability.
When I do a medical procedure, I need to warn of all reasonable complications including death. I would be surprised if expectations are different in Canada.

I don't risk my children in more than a peripheral role in my HV projects. It only takes one mistake and I certainly would not want them involved with dual PT powered coils at school. Locked out or not.
You will find, I think that you will be also contravening electrical codes, noise, RF emission standards etc.

I suggest you reconsider and aim for a safe but equally educational battery powered small coil or similar. Sounds tough but little different to getting kids to use high explosives under supervision, locked out or not. I think parents might understand that better and veto it.

TDU
Dalus
Mon Aug 13 2007, 09:57AM
Dalus Registered Member #639 Joined: Wed Apr 11 2007, 09:09PM
For my tesla coil project for school I needed a way to make sure that nothing could happen, otherwise the school refused to give me permission for it.
My drsstc will be checked for lacking safety features by the technical university of Eindhoven. It will also be tested there in a giant faraday cage within this cage are cells made of grounded fences. When you open a cell the power will be cut automatically.
I also have the help of a high voltage engineer at my school for more direct help.
Steve Conner
Mon Aug 13 2007, 11:01AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I just assumed he meant university or college. Americans (and Canadians) seem to call everything "school" whether it's kindergarten or a PhD program. I agree that project may well be unsuitable for a high school.

I've done HV demos to high school students (although I used the Faraday cage facilities at my local university to do it, as part of their open day) and helped to design public Tesla coil installations in Faraday cages that passed European EMC testing. If you are careful, and have someone on your team who knows what they're doing, it's all reasonably safe.
sparky
Mon Aug 13 2007, 05:31PM
Tesladownunder wrote ...

Not wishing to rain on your parade or whatever expression you use in Canada, but have you considered liability issues?

I personally would be unwilling to do this sort of HV project with noobs, elite or not. The potential for disaster is low but consequences potentially catastrophic.
You must at a minimum, notify the student's parents and your school liability insurers and get written assurance from all of them that they will be involved with open unprotected high voltage of high lethality run by non-electricians. It needs to be clearly spelled out including the risk of death with contact. Even then, that will be unlikely to cover your liability.
When I do a medical procedure, I need to warn of all reasonable complications including death. I would be surprised if expectations are different in Canada.

I don't risk my children in more than a peripheral role in my HV projects. It only takes one mistake and I certainly would not want them involved with dual PT powered coils at school. Locked out or not.
You will find, I think that you will be also contravening electrical codes, noise, RF emission standards etc.

I suggest you reconsider and aim for a safe but equally educational battery powered small coil or similar. Sounds tough but little different to getting kids to use high explosives under supervision, locked out or not. I think parents might understand that better and veto it.

TDU

We do have insurance for large scale projects for our school. I checked with the admin before proceeding with this project and they agreed to it. The power supply right now is a single PT running 3.5 kW. It will stay that way due to power/safety concerns. I explained that my students will be involved in the construction aspect of the coil ONLY. No student will be in contact with the primary circuit (transformer - switches - etc etc) what so ever ON or OFF! Students will be at a VERY good distance away. Parents will be notified and contacted directly myself for those interested in this project.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: